Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spotting scope under $500

I am shopping for a spotting scope for my elk hunt in october. Any suggestions? I am putting a $500 limit on it. Yes, I know that will not buy a good piece of glass but that is what I am willing to spend. Looking for ideas or scopes that you like or dislike.

Check out the vortex line. Good glass at decent prices. I've used my nomad along with a vortex tripod on a few elk and antelope hunts and have been pleased.

EBay is a wonderful thing...I'm sure you can find something decent and lightly used. Doesn't need to be new...

Check out the vortex line. Good glass at decent prices. I've used my nomad along with a vortex tripod on a few elk and antelope hunts and have been pleased.

X2 on the Vortex line of spotters. Western huntingbis a glassing game and many have switched from Swaro to Vortex because of the price:quality ratio. I have a Nomad and love it. Diamondback or even a lower magnification Viper are good choices.

I don't know if you are looking for angled or straight eyepiece, but someone in Camp Verde has a good Vortex Nomad 20-60x60 angled for sale on an AZ Hunting Store FB page (scroll down a bit):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/706260689423604/

If the link doesn't work, let me know and I'll PM you the guy's contact info. Nomad's have been discontinued, but I have the straight eye piece 20-60x60 Nomad and love it. I can read interstate signs from over a mile away. Advice, though, for spotters. Get a GOOD tripod. Cheap Walmart ones have too much shake and wobble.

I have a Vortex and an HD Vanquard here in stock - both really nice scopes if you'd like to check them out.

I think there needs to be an AZ hunter's corner since he is the go to guy for western hunting!!

That's funny stuff right there! I'm always happy to give a perspective from hunting out here for the last 15 years, but I'm still a small-town Iowa guy at heart!

Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 for $499.99. The 80 objective will give you a lot better field of view and better low light. Excellent Warranty. My rep said they have a wall of trashed glass and they love it. He said a guy accidently shot his spotting scope while elk hunting. They said pick up the pieces for the wall and gave him a new scope. They're proud of that wall. Insane warranty.

gunrunr said:
Yes, Diamondback is very good - one of the most popular Vortex models - a lot of bang for the buck!
love their diamond back binos just didn't know how 20-60 zoom was through em .

I just recently picked up the Redfield Rampage 20-60 zoom. Haven't had a ton of time messing with it, but from what I've tested with it I've liked a lot. I've been saying for years that I would like to invest in a spotting scope, but never really bit the bullet due to the money issue. When I saw this one in a store marked down from $299 to $220 I said screw it. The kit came with the tripod, scope cover, carrying case, and the scope, but I have only used it with a window mount from Scheel's thus far.

Just my thoughts on spotting scopes, which I do not currently own. Buy once Cry once. I've spent some time behind good ones and bad ones. If your looking to really judge an animal at long distance you need good ones. I've not looked through the Vortex DB's but I have some DB binoculars I like for the money.

Someone mentioned elk hunting. I'll just say this. First you have to carry it. It will probably not come out of your pack as much as you think. If you've never been or only have limited experience you should be shooting whatever you get a chance at. You can tell if you're looking at a legal bull from plenty far away with 10X40's. There's other places you should be spending your money first like good pack and boots for starters.

Top Bottom