Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand location advice

Plendl

I got permission to hunt this property last fall and didnt have much time to scout it out so I went and looked for pinch points around the edge of property. Where we set the ladder stand i found multiple rubs and scrapes and it is within 30 yards of 3 intersecting trails. This is where I shot my buck last fall. The next stand i hung was deeper in the timber and was on some trails that went to and from bedding areas. I hunted this spot in morning during the rut and saw a lil activity but bigger bucks never came close enough. I havent decided if im gonna leave the stand there or not.

This property has never been hunted during gun season which the area around us gets hunted really hard. and no one has bow hunted this for the previous 5 years. So the deer like to hang out in here and every time i hunted it i always saw deer. Id say buck to doe is 5 to 1 but most were all 3 or younger. The wind usually blows from the north to north east. Last year the crop feilds were corn and this year they are beans.

In this pic you can see where my 2 stands are location and the yellow shows the trails that I noticed that they use the most. The property i can hunt is outlined in white. On bottom of pic the timber outlined in red is a thick bedding area but neighbor has 8 stands hung in that area.. the yellow markers are where i am thinking bout hanging stands. I plan on either getting a lone wolf or muddy set that i can move easily... would like opinions on which one is better, im leaning towards muddy.

All these pics the top of screen is north
picture.php

here is a closer pic that can see better
picture.php

This next pic shows the elevation changes, the red markers are where my 2 stands are hung and yellow are where i think i should look to set new ones.

picture.php

The only problem with setting the stands deeper in timber is how easily i can access the stands. I park near the road that is on right side of pics and usually go threw the feild to get to stand or walk along creek bed and up ditch to get to my other stand. The creek runs all the way up threw the property. What do you guys think about where to put stands. and how to access them. There is a feild entrance on far left of pics that i might be able to use. What do you guys think? Thanks

I like your ladderstand location covering that east/west trail and what appears to be the main trail coming from the bedding area to the south. Bet you have some tricky thermals going on there on the edge of that ridge. Last October we seemed to have an unusual wind pattern from the north and west up here. Generally, I think October has a prevailing SW wind for the most part. At any rate, I'd follow that creek to the NW and find their favorite crossing(s), set a TC or two and let them lead me to where I should be. When I have a good handle on how and when they are moving, and in what kind of wind, then I can sypher out how to sneak in there to bushwhack'm. May be that I can't get right in on top of them, may be that I can. The fun is in finding out. Good luck!

Top Bottom