Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

best late season warm clothing

Plendl

I'm looking at getting some new cold hunting clothes since last year I froze during late season.

I'm looking at getting some base layers too and thinking bout getting scent lok base layers. I currently have under armour and hate it. It's the tight fit insulated base layer and idk if its just me but its decently warm if you don't move but since its tight every time I move I get cold. I want some loose fit base layers that are warm.

I'm also looking for a new pant jacket set too. Who do you think makes best and warmest one? I'm looking at scentblocker under armor and scent lok. I really like the new scent lok with Berber fleece lining and saw some scent blocker that looked warm too. My brother has underarmoe and says it's warm but I hate the lime green that they use. What do u guys think is best one? Thanks!

If you don't want to freeze again this year I would recommend NOT getting under amour or scentblocker

Last edited:
If you want truly warm outter wear, get artic shield extreme. I have a set, and unless its 0 or lower, I can't wear the stuff, I'll burn up.

For your base layer...you're crazy if you don't go with the First Lite Merino Wool base layer. Stuff is awesome.

I had the UA stuff and it was awful

Last edited:
I was super impressed with Cabela's Whitetail Extreme GORE-TEX. I went with the one piece coveralls as I think a one piece is inherently warmer. It was a $500 investment, but worth every penny. I was comfortable down to the single digits.

First lite base layers for sure!! I've also got the cabelas MTO50 whitetail extreme that's really warm just alittle bulky.

I would go Cabelas wool. I sat out last January 6th when it was 52 below wind chill for 2 hours and was perfectly comfortable. Do not forget the wool face mask!~

What are the specific names of the pieces you guys use from first lite merino wool base layer? I have a couple gift cards burning a hole in my wallet and want to give this stuff a shot.

I cant believe the heater body suit hasnt been brought up. Dress accordingly for the walk in and jump in the heater suit.
I very very rarely use mine but it will keep you warm!

I too want too hear what "pieces" of first lite merino you guys have?

Can you say what your layerintb system is? You can leave out boxers or briefs to save us the mental picture.

Right now I have a bunch of junk clothes and may wear as many as 6 layers on the cold days. I've got to get down to 3 or Im going to go nuts!

This is what I use. I have the pants to match. I have washed mine but they say this stuff won't hold odor and won't need to wash it at all. Just not so sure about that sometimes so if I had a hunt where I sweat real bad, I would wash it or let it hang outside to dry. I had the UA stuff before that was the more tight tight fitting stuff and it was awful. I wear this stuff from early early season to late season.

http://www.firstlite.com/chama-exp-727.html

Early season, I will wear this and a real light pants and jacket or vest and be fine. I just recently got some graywolf stuff so I will be excited to see the combo of the merino wool and the heavier camo I got from GWW. From what it sounds like...I should be fine with my First lite base layer, Bibs over that (potentially a sweat pant or something under bibs if needed), and my new GWW jacket over my base on top and potentially a light layer or hoodie under that if needed. So the most layers I would have would probably be 3.

Also, if you get cold feet...the merino wool socks help too. For whatever reason, my feet get really cold when on stand. Even in 35 degree temps but the merino wool socks have helped some. I stopped at Scheels the other day and talked to the same guy I always do about camo and he told me to try the UGG insoles in my boots and said this would really help your feet stay warm. For $15...I'll try them.

http://www.scheels.com/shop/en/sche...ar/ugg-adult-sheepskin-insoles-737872-9500-h3

If you don't want the bite of the First Lite price tag Minus 33 is a little cheaper merino wool and has excellent reviews ( according to archery talk) . Im going to pick up a set of Expedition weight ones up next paycheck .

Core element 4 is good. I use all Sitka gear from there merino wool base Traverse lined shirts and a vest then the fanatic jacket and bibs. The science of nothing does work

Top Bottom