Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

best late season warm clothing

Just want to second the minus 33; I have used it for years. Tried under armour first and couldn't take it, very uncomfortable. The merino is great, soft , natural, loose fitting and holds no odor; repeat, holds no odor.
All right, I will come clean (pun intended). Last winter I wore my merino top for 120 days without washing just to see if it would smell. I work outside, treework, logging etc. I did shower every night and used deodorant but never cleaned the top. After the test period, I had several females give it the sniff test and they all said it smelled clean; not fresh mind you, but clean. Then I told them how long I had worn it and got the ewww gross... and had it thrown back to me. Two days outside and it smelled like the first day, nice and fresh.

Just want to second the minus 33; I have used it for years. Tried under armour first and couldn't take it, very uncomfortable. The merino is great, soft , natural, loose fitting and holds no odor; repeat, holds no odor. All right, I will come clean (pun intended). Last winter I wore my merino top for 120 days without washing just to see if it would smell. I work outside, treework, logging etc. I did shower every night and used deodorant but never cleaned the top. After the test period, I had several females give it the sniff test and they all said it smelled clean; not fresh mind you, but clean. Then I told them how long I had worn it and got the ewww gross... and had it thrown back to me. Two days outside and it smelled like the first day, nice and fresh.

What series do you use ? Expedition or mid weight and what do you recommend ?

gotta second the heater body suit, i sat last year several times all day and it didnt get about 10 degrees.. no problems at all

How do the Minus 33 run for sizes? Hate buying stuff of the net and have to send it back because it was too small!

Well, I sure don't get cold really. Maybe in the face with wind in my face. Wind is the worst & have not got that licked yet.
Lots of base layers of Merino wool. Late season I use pack boots with liners & the heavy wool socks and my boots are oversized.
For camo- I have the MT-050 stuff, Sitka Fanatic & Incinerator (haven't tried those yet). Lots of neck warmers, crazy with face masks & heavy duty mountain gloves if I'm doing gun type stuff. If bow, I am fine with a host of good quality gloves & preference is only issue. I pack in all my stuff to stand. I usually get to the stand pretty cold, on purpose, so I have no sweat. Then, quietly I'll dress up in the stand 30' in the air and warm right up. Not saying cold isn't an issue but light years away from my years as a 15 year old wearing 6 pairs of gym socks and 5 sweatshirts :)

cold

Heater body suit... not even a close second. u dont need layers of anything, no gym socks, Walk in, get in and hunt all day, it is that simple. worst part is taking it off for the walkout.

The heater body suit does look good - or the IWOM outwear.

For an another option check out the Hunter's Apron

www.huntersapron.com

It has a lot of things built in - neck gator, hand muffler, hand warmer pockets, etc.

Base layers MFG is ullfrotte made in northern Sweden. 200-800 grams.
You can purchase them online from grand forest inc. When its bitter cold I'll wear 200 gram, and two 400 gram tops. One 200 gram and one 400 gram bottom.

For a jacket and vest It's wool with a wind stopper liner. Best vest and archery anorak jacket with built in hand muff. Great for keeping hot packs and bare hands. Made by autumnwood outfitters inc. Machine washable. Great stuff. I've had it for 8 years, hunt hard, and it still looks new.

Pants from cabelas berber fleece with wind stopper.

Carry everything in and out in my pack. Dress up in stand.

Check out Sierra trading post or camofire for deals on merino wool. Have both smart wool and core 4 and am pleased with both.

Mike, buy military mickey mouse boots. Can pick them up fairly cheap at Army/Navy store or on ebay. Your feet will not get cold in the worst conditions.

Just received my First Lite chama 1/4 zip. It appears very high quality, as it should for 100 bucks. If it wasn't 80 degrees I'd still be wearing it. As much as I enjoy the warm temps, I'm ready for a cool spell!

Mike, buy military mickey mouse boots. Can pick them up fairly cheap at Army/Navy store or on ebay. Your feet will not get cold in the worst conditions.

I've heard good things about the Mickey mouse boots. How are they comfort wise??

I've sat out a lot hunting ND in late season. Temps without the windchill are regularly around -10F, and the wind doesn't let up out there, so its typically in the -20 - -30 range with the wind chill. I can't be too bulky so I can shoot a bow.
The biggest thing with keeping warm is not getting too warm on the walk in. Get yourself a good pack and pack the majority of your clothes in. I even change my socks and undershirt when I get to my stand and put them in a plastic bag in my pack. Its cold as hell doing this but you warm up quickly when the dry clothes go on. From there, I dress in layers, including a windstopper sweater and/or vest. I also wear down insulated pants over my base layer. I top it all off with wool bibs and a wool parka. For boots I just use my 400g Danners and I put boot blankets on over them. Feet stay toasty warm. Biggest part of the feet is having dry socks to start with. I never go without my neck gaiter and if the wind is really going, a balaclava over my hat and gaiter. I've even had to go as far as wearing goggles when its really windy to keep my eyelids from freezing together everytime I blink....

HEATER BODY SUIT!!! I promise you won't regret buying it. It is the best piece of cold weather gear I have ever had and if the one I currently have ever wears out then I will buy another one. Dress light for the walk in, get in once you are in the stand, then zip up and enjoy the hunt. I have never gotten cold in that thing. If I was rich I would buy you one myself.

Top Bottom