Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut activity

trask76

So aside from all the guys being smart asses, is anyone seeing any real rut activity around the state of Iowa? This is my sons first year bowhunting and I'd like to take some time off to help him be successful. So where's the action boys?

I haven't been out at all this year, but it will be like every year before. Right around this time you will start hearing stuff like

"THE RUT IS ON! I just saw two bucks hounding a doe! Get out there NOW!"

Early rut action happens, but it seems to be pretty sparse. If you are looking to take time off work, I would wait until right around the first-second week of November. Just my opinion. That SHOULD be the best "peak" rut time frame. Whatever happens, have fun with your son out in the woods!

Nope - way too early. Every year guys will say it comes early but it never does. 2nd week of Nov where I'm at (always ).

I've seen some scraping activity. Not too much chasing. Weather is supposed to be too warm this weekend, but I'll still be in the stand when I can. I'm thinking about taking a three day weekend for Halloween. Things should be rocking then.

Had a young buck chase a doe under my tree Wednesday night, but he eventually lost interest and went the other way, give it a couple weeks!

I have already put in quite a few hours on multiple properties and besides the few outliers hounding does or bucks sparring- not really any rut activity that isn't expected for middle to late OCT If you are planning on taking some time off- I would hold off until its colder and the calendar is in November

My son was watching a field full of deer last Saturday evening and he did see a little bit of bumping going on, but nothing dramatic and nothing that lasted any length of time. That is not to say though that you could not see a hot doe in a given location at this time. But I think the "meat" of the rut is still 1-2 weeks away.

One way you can know when things are really cooking is that the does are less likely to be feeding contentedly out in the open because the bucks will just not let them be when things are really hot. As of right now, I am still seeing plenty of relaxed does out in the fields.

Every year there are plenty of people that think there is an early rut because they see a buck bumping a doe "early". But not every doe in the woods is ready on the exact same date every year, there is a bell curve distribution of sorts. Some, a few, may be ready now, but most, as in A LOT of them, are coming up in the next 6-15 days or so.

If you really want to find out when the main breeding takes place in your area, pay attention to your trailcams in the spring. Once you start getting new-born fawns on cam, backtrack the whitetail gestation period (about 200 days) and that should give you a good idea of when to be out there. Not going to help you out this year, but good info for the future.

I took the second week of November off this year. In years past I've always taken the first. I don't think you can predict or go wrong with either. I took the second week this year because I'm hoping there won't be as many crops still in the feild.

I took the second week of November off this year. In years past I've always taken the first. I don't think you can predict or go wrong with either. I took the second week this year because I'm hoping there won't be as many crops still in the feild.

I would say that was a wise decision!

Also, pay attention to when the doe/fawns start to appear by themselves rather than with mama. Last Sunday a mature buck came out to a plot 10 min. after a doe and doe/fawn (he was right on their scent trail). The fawn was still tagging along with mama so I think we are not quite there yet.

New scrapes are showing up and daylight activity should start to pick up this week. I am really betting on Halloween being a great day, it is always good, but this year the weather is indicating that it could be the first GREAT day. They any time between Nov 1 and the 25th will be good.. But I am betting on a lot of deer being killed next weekend.

I would agree with most everybody so far. Personally I like the 8th to Thanksgiving the most. And though that is when most of the breeding will be taking place, the one thing that will take things up a notch is any decent cold front from today on out. Good luck with your son. I hope he sticks one!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom