Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Keeping Stuff in the Tree Stand

Just a question to hopefully pick up some tips. Where to you all keep your gear while sitting in the stand. Lately, I wear my calls around my neck and keep my range finder in my pocket. Everything else stays in my back pack that hangs on the side of the tree. How about everyone else?

Bow on the hanger, binos and range finder on me with the harness to keep them out of the way. Grunt tube and rattling device hanging if I deem it necessary (time of the year). Everything else in my pack hanging on a hook.

Bow on the hanger, binos and range finder on me with the harness to keep them out of the way. Grunt tube and rattling device hanging if I deem it necessary (time of the year). Everything else in my pack hanging on a hook.

^^^^^ Yep. Me too.
I always have my pack hung so that I can reach in my pack at any time without standing up.

Last edited:
Bow in a bow holder (unless I feel I need to be ready, such as first hour and last hour, then in my hand while I'm standing), grunt tube around my neck, any other calls in my pocket or hanging nearby on my sticks/gear hook/branch (whatever is easiest), binos and rangefinder on a harness, other gear such as extra clothing, drink/snacks, knife, hand saw/pruners, tripod stool (in case I don't make it to the stand and have to pick a spot on the ground), etc. in my bag which also hangs nearby. I am realizing that I take a lot of stuff with me to the stand...probably too much!

Bow in a bow holder (unless I feel I need to be ready, such as first hour and last hour, then in my hand while I'm standing), grunt tube around my neck, any other calls in my pocket or hanging nearby on my sticks/gear hook/branch (whatever is easiest), binos and rangefinder on a harness, other gear such as extra clothing, drink/snacks, knife, hand saw/pruners, tripod stool (in case I don't make it to the stand and have to pick a spot on the ground), etc. in my bag which also hangs nearby. I am realizing that I take a lot of stuff with me to the stand...probably too much!

Ditto the set up and the last comment about too much stuff!

I use a fanny pack, and man does it make a difference. Other items are either in the top pockets or on a assessory holder/s. I do sometimes keep a back pack with some items that aren't needed during the time on stand. You begin to realize quickly what gear is important and which items can stay in the truck.

I would be careful with the calls around the neck. I had grunt tube go with the string once. Hell of a red mark it left.
I am with everyone else, put them in a nice little pack or hangers.

I would be careful with the calls around the neck. I had grunt tube go with the string once. Hell of a red mark it left.

Hmmm... never thought about this happening. Never once have I had an issue with this, but I realize how easy it could happen. I'm always looking to eliminate any and all potential problems. Thanks for the tip! I like my call at the ready so I'll have to figure out where I can tuck it.
As for me, I'm with the others. In a pack as well as a few things such as my quiver and rattling antlers hanging close.

My Dream Season jacket has the perfect pocket up high at an angle to tuck my grunt call into. It keeps it out of the way.

My grunt call is strapped to the outside of my upper right arm. Always out of the way and just a turn of my head to use.

Bow on a hanger, rattling horns wedged in a crook in the tree if possible, otherwise they are hang from something. All calls go in my right pocket. Binos around the neck. My rangefinder has a long loop that I can put my head and right arm through so I wear it kinda like a duffel bag. If a deer is in range and closing the distance and I have my bow in hand I can use my release hand to grab the rangefinder range him quick and then slide it back down towards my rib cage. Very little movement and it is out of the way.

I use a small fanny pack for the calls or slide them in the handwarmer muff. Lately I've been wearing my rangefinder around my neck and tuck it in my coat front, but the string is so long it is hard to get out in a hurry sometimes.

I was looking at getting a couple of retractable gear tethers at the advice of my brother. Anybody tried these before?

I use a small fanny pack for the calls or slide them in the handwarmer muff. Lately I've been wearing my rangefinder around my neck and tuck it in my coat front, but the string is so long it is hard to get out in a hurry sometimes.

I was looking at getting a couple of retractable gear tethers at the advice of my brother. Anybody tried these before?

Not sure about the retractable tether, but I have one of these for my rangefinder: http://www.cherryhilloutdoors.com/products/range_holder22.htm.
Pretty quiet and has a bungee string in case you happen to drop it. Also holds your rangefinder the same way everytime so when you grab it you don't have to look to see what way it is before bringing it up to your eye, so you can keep your eye on what you want to range. I just clip this to the lower strap of my bino harness (Allen brand from Walmart I think). If you wear it inside a coat, then it may still be hard to get out, but you could clip it to the outside of the coat, like on a pocket.

I am with everyone else, put them in a nice little pack or hangers.

That is what I was thinking. Grunt call in one pocket, range finder in another and the binos stay in the pack that is open for easy access in close reach.

Just curious?
Why do yall keep your range finders out at all times. I range things once I get there, and I usually only need it the first time I go to a stand or if I haven't been in it for a while. I have set markers(a certain corn stalk, cedar tree, fence post, etc) that I range and I always know those distances. And I tell myself, that fence post is my 2nd pin or that cedar bush is my 3rd pin, etc.
I don't know?? To me, the less things I have out, the less chance of me screwing something up when I move around.
So I usually have everything but my grunt tube and can call in my fanny pack. The grunt tube is always tucked inside my bino strap that is on my chest, so that it doesn't hit my string when I shoot. My bow is always hanging with my trigger release attached to it. My rattling antlers are usually hanging on a branch out of the way.

Last edited:
Just curious?
Why do yall keep your range finders out at all times. I range things once I get there, and I usually only need it the first time I go to a stand or if I haven't been in it for a while. I have set markers(a certain corn stalk, cedar tree, fence post, etc) that I range and I always know those distances. And I tell myself, that fence post is my 2nd pin or that cedar bush is my 3rd pin, etc.
I don't know?? To me, the less things I have out, the less chance of me screwing something up when I move around.
So I usually have everything but my grunt tube and can call out of my fanny pack. The grunt tube is always tucked inside my bino strap that is on my chest, so that it doesn't hit my string when I shoot. My bow is always hanging with my trigger release attached to it. My rattling antlers are usually hanging on a branch out of the way.
My rangefinder is out because I have a single pin sight and certain stands have multiple trails in the same shooting lane at different distances. So I can get a quick definitive range on whatever trail the deer is heading on and go from there. I usually know most ranges ahead of time but keep the rangefinder out so I don't have a memory mistake in crunch time.

Top Bottom