Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Vacations over :(

sep0667

Land of the Whitetail
I took all of last week off to hunt the rut. A couple months ago I was really torn on whether or not to take the first week of November off or the second. I went with the first.
I hunted everyday from Nov. 1 through today, the 9th. I saw quite a few deer and had many encounters and passed quite a few bucks, but no giants, as usual. Monday, the 3rd, was the best day for buck movement I had. I saw 10+ different bucks that day and had shot opportunities on probably 6 of them. One was a very nice mature heavy antlered 8 that I would later have a great encounter with and another opportunity to take. The rest appeared to be dinks or decent 2.5 year olds. That day was an amazing hunt, I just kept waiting for that Iowa giant that I've been after since I started.
I ended up flinging two arrows over the coarse of the week, but brought nothing home. The first time I shot was the 2nd I believe. One of my three target bucks came in to a rattle sequence I did and I had him in my sights at 37 yards. Ended up just shooting a hole through my blind as the deer was in my sights, but I was not up high enough for the arrow to clear the bottom of the window, lesson learned.
My second chance was at the property where I had the awesome day with 10+bucks sighted in one day. I had got down from the morning hunt to go eat lunch and noticed a heavy trail that had a great pinch. I ate lunch and returned with my climber stand and set up over the pinch. I had a chance to take the heavy horned 8 as he chased a doe right under me at 9 yards. I was at full draw and when I released the cam hit the arm rest of the climber and threw my shot off. Another clean miss.
Maybe third time is the charm, if I get another encounter with what is a shooter in my eyes. Every single day I saw deer and passed a lot of bucks. I think I saw more bucks than I did does this past week. I think I did four all day sits and hunted 7 of 9 mornings. I saw the majority of movement in the mornings. I think I did an excellent job with scent control and hunting the wind. I was not busted one time from the stand and multiple times had deer literally underneath me.
As far the where the rut is at where I hunted, central IA, I think this coming week will see more activity. I saw some chasing, but nothing all out that would have me saying the rut is on full bore. Between the bright moon and strong winds nearly all week of the first week of Nov. I believe those of you that took the second week of Nov. off will make out better, I just hope you can stay warm! Best of luck to everyone yet, I still have this coming Friday off and the weekends of course.

Sounds like you're putting yourself in the right areas and that's half the battle. Something to hang your hat on, there. Sounds like a heck of a week. Head up, pal. Season is still young.

Sounds like a successful hunt to a certain point for me. Had great encounters, saw a ton. Even let some fly. But hey, that's hunting.

Good luck rest of the way. Sounds like you had a couple chances...head up man! Like DannyBoy said...lot of season left!

Ten bucks in one day? How bout maybe 10 bucks in 3 wks. I will continue to be amazed at how widely hunting can vary in one state!

Ten bucks in one day? How bout maybe 10 bucks in 3 wks. I will continue to be amazed at how widely hunting can vary in one state!

Haha yeah, it was an awesome morning. I was going to say, finally my turn to post about how many bucks I saw in one hunt. Strange thing was I saw zero does that day.

Top Bottom