Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Buck shot - Need help!!

Lwadzie

Lwadzie
Need some opinions on a deer hit. A buddy of mine was in the stand this afternoon and had a nice buck come in following a doe. Needless to say, he was broadside and made a bad shot and hit him in the middle area of the neck. The deer walked off slowly and stood 70 yards away for 2-3 minutes with a blood spot on his neck before walking another 100 yards, hopped a fence and went into the timber and my buddy didnt see him for 15 minutes, he then came back out of the timber chasing the doe and a smaller buck and grunting before chasing them off and disapeered. He said the whole left side of his neck was full of blood but only got 4-5 inches of penetration on his arrow. My question is, with that much blood, did he hit something important? Why was he still moving and is there a possibility of finding him? Thanks for the help guys!!

If he came back out chasing a doe 15 minutes later I would not consider the hit lethal. What looks like a ton of blood to us really isn't. I can't imagine a fatally hit buck running a doe. If he hit anything major the buck would have bled out extremely fast.

But why was there so much blood? Within 15 minutes and his whole neck was covered in blood? At 100 yards he could see that his whole neck was covered. Could he be running on pure adrenaline?

He got hit by a broad head in the neck- it's going to bleed. If it hit an artery he wouldn't have been out chasing does 15 min later. IMO. Maybe he can still get him if he sticks around for the ladies

But why was there so much blood? Within 15 minutes and his whole neck was covered in blood? At 100 yards he could see that his whole neck was covered. Could he be running on pure adrenaline?

Pry a muscle hit. Like Hoosier said if it was a good hit he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did. I'm not saying it won't be fatal but give the buck some time and go look for him just to be sure.

About the 4" of penetration, probably should have mentioned he is shooting a Mathews creed at 29" draw and 70 lb draw weight. Also shooting Rage Hypodermics

My neighbor shot a buck in 2012 the Thursday before gun season straight on at 25 yards. I killed the bucks 2 weeks later. He was shot with a rage. When I killed him he must have clipped his esophagus because blood came out of that wound. He was hit a few inches below his throat patch.

You never know. Always follow up as much as possible. I shot a mature buck Fri in the lower half of his heart with a clean pass through. I watched in disbelief as he lived for just under 1 hr before expiring. Long story short you can't always explain why or how they live or die but there is definitely a chance its a fatal hit and we'll worth an extensive look!

Top Bottom