Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Damn squirrel hunters

jjclausen

Just a little rant. If you are squirrel hunting and see a truck in the parking lot be courteous and please go to another spot. I understand it is public hunting but there is a thing about being respectful to other hunters in the area. Rant over.

Gonna go out on a limb and venture a guess that nobody on this forum was squirrel hunting this past week or weekend. I've been through what your going through except mine was a guy capping squirrels with a 7mm mag from the sounds of it and he didnt understand english and I was 25 feet up. The clench factor was pretty high.

Yeah, I have had those run ins many of times... People dont care because its public, and sadly, nothing can be done about it unless they are intentionally following you around... but trust me, i feel your pain...

Sucks bad. That and the old couple out for a leisurely stroll while parking right next to your truck with stickers on it (obviously bow hunting) makes people just shake their heads sometimes.

Squirrel hunters in the deer woods scare me. Hopefully they are safety minded and can recognize the difference between a hunter in a tree and a squirrel.

A guy just got shot in the head by a squirrel hunter in another state when he was sitting in his tree. The guy mistook his grey pony tail for a squirrel and shot.

A guy just got shot in the head by a squirrel hunter in another state when he was sitting in his tree. The guy mistook his grey pony tail for a squirrel and shot.

Yep that was in WI like a week or two ago...heard about it on the radio down here. Squirrel hunter just shot at first movement and the guy was sitting up against the tree. Terrible in many ways.

Had same issue myself last week with squirrel hunter, wow no common sense came to mind,some people are just inconsiderate!

I understand how you feel completely but if you put yourself in the other guys shoes, how was he supposed to know what you were doing?

I'll take squirrel hunters over the loggers that waited till Novemeber to start working. Second year in a row and only 200 yds from my best pinch point stand... Nothing like driving to your spot with a perfect wind in November to find that surprise!

I've also had horseback riders come by and wreck my hunt on public multiple times. Then they loudly anounce that they are on horses when they finally see you, as if you're dumb enough to mistake the horse and loud chubby rider for a deer...

Guess we could petition for blaze orange in any season. I'd probably highly consider wearing it if hunting a lot of public ground, or at least heavily used public.

Un flipping believable. The MN DNR did a study a few years ago on why there were no squirrels in the public ground near Minneapolis/St. Paul. I am not kidding!!

I think everyone on this site can figure out why, it might have something to do with a certain culture that happens to reside in large numbers in the metro.....you can't make this stuff up.

Have had 3 different run ins this year with the them. Granted yes I am hunting on public but it is also bordered by the private that I hunt. The guy that walked in on my Sunday was courteous enough to turn around and head back where he came from after he seen me. End of October while checking cameras tho I walked up on 2 of them that had just walked right past the End of Public sign and where a good 50 yards onto my private before I caught up with them. They gave me some bullshit story about how they were just looking or something in their broken English. Needless to say I made it very clear that if I caught them in there again that there would be consequences. Tough to be real bold with both of them holding rifles and me without my carry that day.

I'll take squirrel hunters over the loggers that waited till Novemeber to start working. Second year in a row and only 200 yds from my best pinch point stand... Nothing like driving to your spot with a perfect wind in November to find that surprise!

Don't knock loggers that are logging this time of year. On state land there are restrictions on dates of when they can and can't cut and also what condition the ground is in, so it is not torn up as much.

"I've also had horseback riders come by and wreck my hunt on public multiple times. Then they loudly anounce that they are on horses when they finally see you, as if you're dumb enough to mistake the horse and loud chubby rider for a deer..."

I have seen people shoot cows and other live stock and claim they thought it was a deer. In Southern Illinois people would paint cattle orange so the Chicago idiots wouldn't shoot them. I will agree that horse back riders can be a pain, load and quite a few of them seem to like to have more than a few drinks while riding. But it is multiple use land and they have a right to be there, unless they are riding off trail or on trails not designated for horses.

Top Bottom