Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Staying Warm

So, with all the talk of the cold weather to come and still having an unfilled tag I'm looking for suggestions. I hunkered down in a pop-up blind this afternoon to get out of the wind. I was wearing wool long underwear, Poly-pro top and bottom, Wind blocker fleece pants, wind blocker Sitka waterfowl puffy jacket, sock liners, med wool socks and Military cold weather (Micky mouse) boots, hand warmer and light gloves. I was not really warm or cold all afternoon, but think the blind helped a lot with blocking most of the wind.

What does everyone use if you were out in the open, in a stand with the wind and the colder temps and trying to stay out most of the day? I know there are a lot of guys using heater body suites, what else is working that might not be as cumbersome in a stand?

Thanks.

You're doing more now than I do in dec/jan. ;)

Seriously.....I'll add in hand warmers and the boot muffs if needed. The wind is the real killer. I can make it in a stand at 10 deg with little to no wind better than 35 and 25-35mph winds.

So, with all the talk of the cold weather to come and still having an unfilled tag I'm looking for suggestions. I hunkered down in a pop-up blind this afternoon to get out of the wind. I was wearing wool long underwear, Poly-pro top and bottom, Wind blocker fleece pants, wind blocker Sitka waterfowl puffy jacket, sock liners, med wool socks and Military cold weather (Micky mouse) boots, hand warmer and light gloves. I was not really warm or cold all afternoon, but think the blind helped a lot with blocking most of the wind. What does everyone use if you were out in the open, in a stand with the wind and the colder temps and trying to stay out most of the day? I know there are a lot of guys using heater body suites, what else is working that might not be as cumbersome in a stand? Thanks.

Here is my trick. Therma care heat wrap. Goes around your mid section. Keeps your core warm which helps keep everything else warm. Other than a heater body suit that is the best there is. Weasel and i sat all day today in a tree without a problem. Get them at your local walgreens ect...

layers, lots of layers. Starting against the skin and getting looser fitting as I go. Making sure there is a wind block layer in there. 2000 thinsulate boots with toe warmers if needed. Light thinsulate lined leather gloves, covered with large lined leather mittens, that come off easily. Hand warmers as needed. A hood with the neck cover, under the sweatshirt and coat hood. Scarf around neck. Over all that an artic wool wind block coat. That I don't wear, I cover what part of me the wind is hitting, to wear it is too many layers. This is on stand, 5-10 degrees, with 15 to 25mph wind. No wind drop he wool artic coat, and the extra warmers.

I bought the Milwaukee tool Brand camo heated jacket. Once I get that chill I turn on the jacket and it warms me right up. Always carry a couple extra batteries. Also bought a very nice pair of quilted Under armor pants and those work great. That jacket is def worth it- my dad also got one who could never sit long in the cold and now he doesn't get cold.

I bought the Milwaukee tool Brand camo heated jacket. Once I get that chill I turn on the jacket and it warms me right up. Always carry a couple extra batteries. Also bought a very nice pair of quilted Under armor pants and those work great. That jacket is def worth it- my dad also got one who could never sit long in the cold and now he doesn't get cold.

The Under Armor Cold Gear?

I use my Mr Heater buddy portable heater in the blind...not uncommon to be way below 0 during late muzzy! Also, windproof gear is essential, and layering.

Here is my trick. Therma care heat wrap. Goes around your mid section. Keeps your core warm which helps keep everything else warm. Other than a heater body suit that is the best there is. Weasel and i sat all day today in a tree without a problem. Get them at your local walgreens ect...

My younger son has one of these and has had great success with it. Put it in the microwave and warm it up and you are good to go.

The Under Armor Cold Gear?

Yes- there was a pair that had the green quilted fabric in the inside as well- very warm. I still layer under it- but def worth the investment IMO. And if you go to TJMAX right now you can find them almost 1/2 off

Last edited:
I'm one of those guys that really struggle to keep my feet warm. 400 gram boot/toe warmers/arctic shield boot covers seem to do the trick for me. I sat in upper 20's and 25 mph wind last week for about 5 hours with my new Gray Wolf stuff and was pretty comfy the whole time. I had first lite merino wool for my base, light camo pant and then my bibs. Had a hoody and my jacket is all on top. Plenty of more room to layer up if need be. My hands usually do pretty good with just a lighter merino glove and muff. If need be, some hand warmers.

The next really cold sit I have, I'm definitely going to try the therma wrap like Limb talked about.

I'm one of those guys that really struggle to keep my feet warm. 400 gram boot/toe warmers/arctic shield boot covers seem to do the trick for me. I sat in upper 20's and 25 mph wind last week for about 5 hours with my new Gray Wolf stuff and was pretty comfy the whole time. I had first lite merino wool for my base, light camo pant and then my bibs. Had a hoody and my jacket is all on top. Plenty of more room to layer up if need be. My hands usually do pretty good with just a lighter merino glove and muff. If need be, some hand warmers. The next really cold sit I have, I'm definitely going to try the therma wrap like Limb talked about.

They work. In the tree now and toasty. They're disposable like the hand warmers. Amazon has them about as cheap as you can get them. Awesome for snowmobiling in cold (below zero) weather and yote callin at night. They lasted 5:30 am to 5 pm yesterday and was still warm.

No matter what i use bout 3 hrs to 4 all i can stand. Heck,,its supposed to be somewhat enjoyable to hunt. If a giant goes by while im in the house warmin up,,,so beit!

I live for this weather! Favorite time to hunt is late season in the snow. To stay warm I layer in this order...

Under armour base
Merino base med heavy
Primaloft vest
Heavy merino wool sweater & pant (400g)
Warm outer wear that has primaloft

I never have a problem with keeping core warm with that regiment. The key is to keep feet and hands warm. Last year I bought the Saskatchewan pac boots from cabelas. Extremely warm. Haven't had to wear them get this year. Only a single pair of socks under them to get some air flow. Don't wear so many socks that it's super tight.

THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM...hand muff with handwarmers. Wouldn't go without it.

MNbuckhunter - I would be interested in these pac boots that you speak of but they are not available @ Cabelas any longer. Any idea of something similar or another store. Thanks!

MNbuckhunter - I would be interested in these pac boots that you speak of but they are not available @ Cabelas any longer. Any idea of something similar or another store. Thanks!

They are there! I just looked them up. Cabela's Saskatchewan Pac Boots $249.99.

Out off all the money I spent on gear to keep me warm. The $15 for my hand muff was the best investment. Can't beat the combo of that and some hand warmers.

It sounds like I am doing about the same as everyone else. I have been looking at the Milwaukee and other heated clothing that is out now. I am probably buy one for the girlfriend for Christmas and see if it keeps her warm first. (She has the worst circulation of anyone that I know, so if it works for her, then I am sure it will work for anyone.) The other night I think was the first time that I got my socks right, they were not to tight, so they were able to breath and not get soaked.

MNBuckhunter- What are you using for your outer layer? Windbreaker also? Do you have any problems with climbing in and out of stands with pac boots on?

Anyone have first hand experience with the newer technical clothing? Besides price is high, good/bad, to loud?

I used a pair of 1400 gram Irish Setter pac boots today with one pair of socks and was out all day. I got them last year at Fleet Farm on sale. They are the best investment I have made for hunting in the cold. I have no problem getting in and out of the tree. If I have to go a long distance, I try to wear another pair of boots then swtich out closer to the stand. I also always switch socks to a nice clean and dry pair before i climb in the stand.

MNBuckhunter- What are you using for your outer layer? Windbreaker also? Do you have any problems with climbing in and out of stands with pac boots on?

I wear Russell APX G2 L5 Whiteout jacket and pant. They have discontinued this line so you can't find it anymore. Scored it in eBay 3 or 4 years ago for around $125 for jacket and pant. Stuff is toasty.

I wear cabela's wooltimate windshear vest over my first two base layers.

We use hang on stands with separate ladder sections and I haven't had any problems climbing into stand with the pac boots.

I have issues staying warm regardless of what I do. My problem is I hover around 10% body fat so there isn't much to naturally stop heat from escaping and the blood from cooling off. I'm sure other lean guys can relate. Gonna add the thermocare heat wrap to the arsenal this year for sure!

Top Bottom