Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Party hunting ?

Justhunt87

PMA Member
If I'm going party hunting with a group and am only going to have a doe tag do I have to have one for each county that we will be hunting? Or since a few guys have buck tags am I ok with only 1 county doe tag?
Thanks

You need to be legal for the season. That means a statewide tag or a doe tag for each county you are hunting.

This was discussed with the Monona County CO... If you have only one tag for that County you can only hunt that County. We got stopped during archery season and everyone got checked. Since one of us was already tagged out we had to sit in the truck the whole day. They are out thick this year ticketing and taking everything if you are caught in any violation.

You can fill your shotgun tag and still party hunt. That's why they give you two parts to the tag. One part goes on the deer and the other part stays with you. Let's just say you buy a davis county doe tag and shoot your doe. You can still hunt with your group and fill as many tags as the people in your group are willing to put there tags on. If you hunt with a group of 10 people that have either sex tags you can technically shoot 10 bucks even if you only have a doe tag for that county, but good luck finding 10 people that will let you fill there buck tags! And yes you need a doe tag for every county you will be hunting.

This was discussed with the Monona County CO... If you have only one tag for that County you can only hunt that County. We got stopped during archery season and everyone got checked. Since one of us was already tagged out we had to sit in the truck the whole day. They are out thick this year ticketing and taking everything if you are caught in any violation.

Why would you have to sit in the truck all day? There are plenty of critters that you can legally hunt with a general hunting license.

We got stopped during archery season and everyone got checked. Since one of us was already tagged out we had to sit in the truck the whole day.
So is there a new "detention" period after shooting a deer or what? One person killed a deer so you all had to sit in the truck??
So what did you do the next day??
If there was say 3 of you and one of you filled their archery tag the options would be to grab another stand and a camera and film one of your friends. The other option is to go purchase an antlerless tag and get back to hunting.
You cannot keep hunting without a valid tag and you cannot shoot a deer for your buddy to put his tag on.
I killed my buck last sat but im going hunting this evening with a doe tag in a county that actually has a few left.
That is unless a dnr officer makes me sit in my truck all afternoon....

Pretty sure I called dnr last year about party hunting Shotgun. Dnr said you could hunt different County just can't shoot doe in that County and tag it with out of County tag. Does anyone know for sure if this is true or false? Or just up to dnr officers opinion

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to contact the officers in each county you plan to hunt and get their take on it.
I realize that officers' opinions vary when it comes to deer regs, but at least you will be able to know how they will handle that situation.

you need a different tag for each co. you hunt in. I get a doe tag for S.G.1 in my co. and hunt with a group, if they hunt another co. I can't

Of course you need a antler less tag for the county your hunting. Otherwise you would have guys buying Clayton county tags and hunting Webster county or some other county with low anterless tag allotments.

Doesn't matter if it's a neighboring county or one across the state cause it would be a law violation. Do the smart thing and buy the $12 insurance policy and buy a tag for the county your hunting.

Of course you need a antler less tag for the county your hunting. Otherwise you would have guys buying Clayton county tags and hunting Webster county or some other county with low anterless tag allotments.

Doesn't matter if it's a neighboring county or one across the state cause it would be a law violation. Do the smart thing and buy the $12 insurance policy and buy a tag for the county your hunting.
Exactly right. There's certain counties people most likely won't be able to hunt because of the low number of tags. We typically hunt 3 counties but I can only hunt two of them because 2 of the 3 sell of out doe tags prior to me being able to purchase my second tag.

Gotta have a doe tag for the county you are hunting, if you fill it, you can continue to hunt in that county; per the party hunting rule.

If I have an Allamakee county doe tag, I can NOT hunt in neighboring counties, I must stay in Allamakee.

Last edited:
Some of the questions on here amaze me. I wonder if some people have ever looked at the regulations book??

Top Bottom