Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Blowing a stand

bowhuntinpacker

With this SE wind it is perfect for my favorite stand. So it got me wondering tonight. I sneak into my stand from creek and climb right into my tree. If you sneak in and out without jumping anything deer and have the right wind could you use that stand for many days in a row without blowing the area?

Yup... I have a stand I can get in and out of with out being detected and I hunt it most of the time there is a NW wind

Creeks are one of the best ways to do it IMO. As long as they aren't frozen, its generally quieter and your scent trail is washed away instantly. Not to mention you are little more hidden being down in there. As long as the wind is right while in the stand and the deer haven't picked you off, you should be good.

Yepper. If u r "Undected" then could hunt every day all yr. just making sure definition of "detection" includes them smelling u after ur gone (foot prints, stuff u touch & run against, etc), spooking deer u don't realize, etc. if ur truly undected u r set. Love those spots but truly undected spots r rare.

Yepper. If u r "Undected" then could hunt every day all yr. just making sure definition of "detection" includes them smelling u after ur gone (foot prints, stuff u touch & run against, etc), spooking deer u don't realize, etc. if ur truly undected u r set. Love those spots but truly undected spots r rare.

u r co rect sk ip

I have 3 stands i could hunt everyday if the season and the deer would never catch on. Steep steep ditches and creeks as access points, fences/dropped trees/ wide open spaces on the downwind side keep 99% of the deer from ever going downwind. Ive even filmed velvet footage from a few stands that have perfect enrty and exit routes.
A horrible spot with a perfect entry and exit and no deer getting downwind far outweighs a great stand that could educate all the deer after the first sit... thats my opinion

That was my thinking. It only makes sense that if you do everything to avoid any sign of you then your fine. Yesterday was perfect, besides me taking a leak from my stand down into the creek behind me. Haha

If you can avoid ground scent 100% yep.

That's what I do, have a stand I take 5 steps out of the creek is all to get into it. Can only be hunted with a N wind, but they never know I'm there under those circumstances.

That's what I do, have a stand I take 5 steps out of the creek is all to get into it. Can only be hunted with a N wind, but they never know I'm there under those circumstances.

Sounds like we hunt the same tree...hahaha

I have the same type of set up, I guess mine might be more like 10 steps but principle is the same.

Our property use to have large pasture areas that were great in terms of being dead zones. Deer rarely, rarely ever used them but we could use them to enter/exit stands and to kick our wind out over. That made those stands very "clean" and allowed for mulitple hunts without issue.

Now one of the pastures, a 45 acre chunk, has been turned to an ag field and the other chunk, about 50 acres, has been left as a grown over field that acts similar to CRP in terms of bedding. Those are obviously habitat improvements but it did negate some of the benefits we had before.

Top Bottom