Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Two LOT questions

flugge

So if I read the regulations correctly.. The landowner gets 4 tags, and the tenant can get up to 4 tags?? Also, if you get a LOT tag for shotgun seasons, can you get a statewide for any sex? ? I have been sitting here reading them, and just scratching my head at what I have came up with. Any help would be great, thanks

I believe that a LO &/or tenant can get 1 free any-sex tag. It can be early muzzy, bow, gun 1 & 2 or late muzzy. They can also get some antlerless tags for little or nothing. These are in addition to the tags available to all residents.

Correct... a landowner/tenant can get 1 any sex tag, and up to 3 antlerless from what I have read... but I am trying to figure out if both the landowner and the tenant can get that... I read one statement that says 4 total divided, but another says each one are allowed that... and I know it can be any season, but I am trying to see if anyone knows if you can get the any sex LOT tag for shotguns, and statewide late muzzy tag... I cant seem to find anywhere that it says no, unless its just the normal two tags you can buy...

The landowner and tenant share the tags. There's one $2 Anysex, one $2 Doe, and two $13 Does. There was also a $2 January Doe but not anymore.

And yes you can get landowner Anysex for whatever season and still get paid Anysex for whatever. They do not affect each other in any way.

You can get your LOT any sex tag for shotgun 1 and/or 2. (But if you substitute the LOT any sex tag for bow season, early muzzy, or late muzzy, you cannot get another any sex for the shotguns also, only the doe etc. It is one any sex tag per landowner/tenant (shared to whomever uses), not one tag a piece.) And you can still get your late season muzzleloader any sex tag as well on top of the LOT shotgun 1 and/or 2 any sex tag. I did this last season. Purchased my LOT any sex for shotgun 1 and/or 2 and still purchased my statewide any sex for muzzy. This year I used my LOT any sex for bow so I cannot get a LOT any sex for the shotgun seasons only my doe tag. I can however shoot a buck still for shotgun 1 and/or shotgun 2 as long as it is on my land only and I am with another person "party" with a valid any sex tag for the proper gun season. Essentially between the two persons, you are only allowed 1 any sex (buck) etc. I spoke with the DNR to clarify this and make sure I was reading correctly as well... I hope I explained that without error and confusion. If not give me a call Flugge.

I have a call into the DNR, but have not heard anything back... and this is the paragraph that has me confused. Where it says the landowner family may receive, and then down further, the tenant family may have the same number... but thanks everyone for the replies.. I will wait until I hear back from the DNR on this one to double check.. and yes 157, I need to call you soon...

How many LOT licenses are available
for each farm unit? The landowner family
may receive up to four [4] Landowner-Tenant
licenses: one General deer, one $2 Antlerlessonly
and up to two [2] $13 Antlerless-only.
The number of Antlerless-only licenses is
subject to some restrictions that are explained
in the previous paragraph. These licenses
may be divided among the landowner family
(landowner and eligible family members)
in any way the family chooses as long as
the total number of licenses available to the
family is not exceeded and other eligibility
requirements are met. Each individual must
be registered to the same land parcel. If there
is no tenant, the maximum number of licenses
available to the landowner family unit is four
[4].
The tenant family may have the same
number of LOT licenses and is subject to the
same restrictions as the landowner family. The
tenant family is restricted to no more than four
[4] licenses, regardless of how many parcels
of land they rent.

This is in the paragraph right before the one posted above...

. One General deer license is
available for the landowner (or eligible family
member) and one for the tenant

Last edited:
How many LOT licenses are available
for each farm unit? The landowner family
may receive up to four [4] Landowner-Tenant
licenses: one General deer, one $2 Antlerlessonly
and up to two [2] $13 Antlerless-only.
The number of Antlerless-only licenses is
subject to some restrictions that are explained
in the previous paragraph. These licenses
may be divided among the landowner family
(landowner and eligible family members)
in any way the family chooses as long as
the total number of licenses available to the
family is not exceeded and other eligibility
requirements are met. Each individual must
be registered to the same land parcel. If there
is no tenant, the maximum number of licenses
available to the landowner family unit is four
[4].
The tenant family may have the same
number of LOT licenses and is subject to the
same restrictions as the landowner family.
The
tenant family is restricted to no more than four
[4] licenses, regardless of how many parcels
of land they rent.

This is in the paragraph right before the one posted above...

. One General deer license is
available for the landowner (or eligible family
member) and one for the tenant

I don't see anything in the material listed above that would indicate anything other than the landowner (or immediate family member) and the tenant can each have a General (any sex) deer license.

I'm under the understanding one or other. Technically if you have a lease agreement that doesn't specify you keep hunting rights, the tenant gets hunting rights with lease. You should not be able to for forest reserve because you cannot make profit with that. Lot tags are for income producing land. This is just my take of it, I may be incorrect

From the Iowa DNR-
Once registered as a landowner, you will be able to purchase one (1) $2.00 any-sex tag, one (1) $2.00 antlerless tag and two (2) $13.00 antlerless tags for your property. You will be able to purchase 4 tags total. If you had a spouse and kids registered, you still would only be able to get the 4 tags total and you would have to decide who would get which tags. Tenants on the property are their own 'family' unit and would be able to get 4 tags total similar to the landowner.

On a similar note, I am bringing my son gun1 hunting for the first time this year(first deer hunt ever for him he is 17), I am the registered landowner and received my free/reduced tags. In order for him to hunt our land do I need to register him as a landowner too? I would like to get him a deer LOT tag(reduced if possible), but save the cash on having to get him a hunting license since he is only going to be on our land and can only hunt gun1.

On a similar note, I am bringing my son gun1 hunting for the first time this year(first deer hunt ever for him he is 17), I am the registered landowner and received my free/reduced tags. In order for him to hunt our land do I need to register him as a landowner too? I would like to get him a deer LOT tag(reduced if possible), but save the cash on having to get him a hunting license since he is only going to be on our land and can only hunt gun1.
If u have already received a free LOT either sex, he can not get one also. Only one LOT either sex tag is allowed.

Does the resident landowner tag have to be for property owned by a resident?

Can a (resident) tenant get a tag for a NR parcel? Any help on that question is appreciated.

Last edited:
Does the resident landowner tag have to be for property owned by a resident?

Can a (resident) tenant get a tag for a NR parcel? Any help on that question is appreciated.

I would say the answer to both questions is yes if your first question is in regards to the landowner and not the tenant.

Landowner/Tenant. 1) A qualified resident landowner can get the tag for the farm(s) he owns. 2) A qualified resident tenant can get the tag for the qualified farm(s). Does not have to be owned by him/her. Does not need to be owned by a resident.

I would say the answer to both questions is yes if your first question is in regards to the landowner and not the tenant.

Landowner/Tenant. 1) A qualified resident landowner can get the tag for the farm(s) he owns. 2) A qualified resident tenant can get the tag for the qualified farm(s). Does not have to be owned by him/her. Does not need to be owned by a resident.

Ok a guy rents 6-10 acres of pasture from me. He's a Iowa resident he can get a tenant tag (buck and doe)? As long as he hunts on my 120??

Thinking for future? I guess I could call DNR but just don't want to sit on hold right now.

Ok a guy rents 6-10 acres of pasture from me. He's a Iowa resident he can get a tenant tag (buck and doe)? As long as he hunts on my 120??

Thinking for future? I guess I could call DNR but just don't want to sit on hold right now.

If he rents 6-10 acres from you for qualified purposes, he can get LOT for only those 6-10 acres. If you own 120, or 1,200, he cannot hunt the rest of it, only the 6-10.

Top Bottom