Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This can't be legal....

One thing I just considered too is the DNR's records of harvest.

To take this one step farther, if the DNR wanted could they not go back into their records and see what years you reported your harvest and whether it was antlered/antlerless (I guess it is technically an "any sex tag so still couldn't be sure it was a buck/doe if you used your statewide tag). So, it might not be a bad idea for a guy to Sharpie the date they shot the deer. Might be something I start doing.

Honest question IMO- I don't think he is smearing his name- he was wanting to know I myself have wondered about the antlers I have attached to skull plates with no tag on it from years past He had a question- put it in a forum and got some answers- Beauty of this website is if you don't like the forum- don't have to click

One thing I just considered too is the DNR's records of harvest. To take this one step farther, if the DNR wanted could they not go back into their records and see what years you reported your harvest and whether it was antlered/antlerless (I guess it is technically an "any sex tag so still couldn't be sure it was a buck/doe if you used your statewide tag). So, it might not be a bad idea for a guy to Sharpie the date they shot the deer. Might be something I start doing.

A lot of holes there. Could say they were shot party hunting during shotgun, they were shot before the harvest report system was around, bought them from someone etc..... The saga continues!

Honest question IMO- I don't think he is smearing his name- he was wanting to know I myself have wondered about the antlers I have attached to skull plates with no tag on it from years past He had a question- put it in a forum and got some answers- Beauty of this website is if you don't like the forum- don't have to click
The guy wasn't selling them on here it was a post on Facebook. I have lots of old deer racks with the hair still on them and the tags taken off.Lets get back to trying to age deer from a trail cam pic :)

The guy wasn't selling them on here it was a post on Facebook. I have lots of old deer racks with the hair still on them and the tags taken off.Lets get back to trying to age deer from a trail cam pic :)

No kidding, why does anyone even care about this. That bored?:confused:

Too much speculation. Let's assume all is legal and the guy has no hidden secrets unless something is proven

No kidding, why does anyone even care about this. That bored?:confused:

I'm sorry I guess what keeps a poacher then from doing this? If it is in fact this easy to sell antlers with little to no history I think it is somewhat alarming.

I didn't start the thread to stir the pot nor say the guy was doing anything wrong, I guess I am just shocked that it is this easy. Our trespassing laws are always lacking in terms of penalty/sentencing (in my opinion).

I would like to see more of a system in place I guess to hold people accountable that are selling antlers/racks. Not to make it any harder, but to keep everyone honest.

There is not much in place that keeps poachers from doing anything anyway. Even when they get caught they get off with nothing, or a slap on the wrist. Just like trespassers. Nothing is going to change that.

Speaking of- I have a few that need checked- thanks for the reminder:)

Unless they've recently changed the law, you don't need a salvage tag to take the head of a dead buck when you find the head on your own property. I've dealt with this issue before and I know that conservation officer's will say that you need one, but the definition of a salvage tag deals with taking the meat not the head.

Unless they've recently changed the law, you don't need a salvage tag to take the head of a dead buck when you find the head on your own property. I've dealt with this issue before and I know that conservation officer's will say that you need one, but the definition of a salvage tag deals with taking the meat not the head.

We were always told you need to have a tag to remove any portion of the said animal.

Wrong So with out the salvage tags the antlers would be illegal. Meaning they can't be sold legally

Last edited:
I sold 3 shoulder mounts to Bass Pro Shops a few years ago and they were legit, but they never asked a question about the legality or for any tags for the deer. They purchase a lot of mounts, racks and taxidermy for their stores and I'm sure they are current on all the regs for the transactions, but is it required to display the tags on mounts like the ones in their stores?

Sent from my iPod touch using IW

Yeah you need a tag whether it's your land or not. And at the end of the day whatever the CO says, goes.

One thing I just considered too is the DNR's records of harvest.

To take this one step farther, if the DNR wanted could they not go back into their records and see what years you reported your harvest and whether it was antlered/antlerless (I guess it is technically an "any sex tag so still couldn't be sure it was a buck/doe if you used your statewide tag). So, it might not be a bad idea for a guy to Sharpie the date they shot the deer. Might be something I start doing.

Who is to say that the racks weren't harvested by another hunter and purchased?

Who is to say that the racks weren't harvested by another hunter and purchased?

Yep. Also, who is to say that the deer weren't harvested before the deer reporting requirement, which wasn't that long ago. Of all of my legally harvested antlered deer, more of them have not been reported, than have, per the regs at the time of harvest. The DNR is not going to waste one minute of their time looking back at the records of someones deer harvests when if comes to them selling racks. And, who is to say that the racks aren't from a deer before the "transportation" tag placed on the antler was required. In my lifetime, I have placed more tags on the legs of antlered deer than antlers, per the requirement at the time. Again, tags on antlers is a fairly new requirement. Lastly, since when do we think the transportation tag, or the license, are required to be saved years after the legal harvest?

The whole thing looks legit to me. Some of the most respected members of this site openly admit that they will sell antlers, or sheds. So long as they are legally harvested/obtained, I am OK with it.

Top Bottom