Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The biggest threat:

loneranger

The biggest threat to deer, more than allowing another kind of bow,,to me is the Farm Bureau. Or Farmers who consider deer profit eating RATS. Check out the article on the Midwest Whitetail site, where Farm Bureau is keeping up the drum beat,,,Kill More Deer! Make it easier for farmers. Like being able to leave them lay. Since moving to Iowa I have yet to meet a poor farmer. At least not in my area. Most land around me is going into larger and larger corporate type operations. I am sure there are still some small operations.

The biggest threat to deer, more than allowing another kind of bow,,to me is the Farm Bureau. Or Farmers who consider deer profit eating RATS. Check out the article on the Midwest Whitetail site, where Farm Bureau is keeping up the drum beat,,,Kill More Deer! Make it easier for farmers. Like being able to leave them lay. Since moving to Iowa I have yet to meet a poor farmer. At least not in my area. Most land around me is going into larger and larger corporate type operations. I am sure there are still some small operations.

I'm pretty sure if deer were eating your potential profits, you'd consider them rats as well. Yep, farmers had a few good years with high prices, but don't let all the new paint and pick-ups fool you. If you know anyone in the farming side of things, you'll know that this year is a really lean year, and next year is looking worse. Not only due to prices, but large projected carry-outs going into 2015.

Given, I'll never agree with any company that advocates for killing deer for no reason, nor do I have any farmers in my area that would consider anything similar to that. Oh, and your "corporate farms" is pretty laughable. I'd love to know what you consider a "corporate farm"...do you base that on acres you assume someone farms? How many machines you see in the fields?

I agree FB & Politicians are the biggest threat. Special interest lobbying groups as well. And yes, before you correct me, I understand the "good guys" have special interest lobbying groups as well but they are a drop in the bucket with how many, $ they can spend and how aggressive they are. I think FB has what, 2-3 full time lobbyists alone? I could be wrong, I think that's about right though.

I mentioned this at the DNR meetings, I know some folks from FB... The scoop many of us know and have heard.... It's about 50-100 or so farmers that voice up and raise holy heck about the deer issue and steer the direction of the whole organization on that. The rest of members, they essentially don't hear much from. Those farmers are a small group that end up having a huge influence on the Lobbyists, Governor (FB is in top 20 that "donate" to Governor), etc. It's a miracle we won the last round of debate. But, with our #'s, we did the right thing and the "right outcome" came out on this battle.

Yep, FB is no good, IMO, a huge threat to us as hunters, conservationists, etc. And I farm. I farm in "deer country" too BTW. Side note.... Deer are not costing me a fortune, they just aren't. Silly things like tree roots sucking moisture from crops, coons, rougher soils in our "deer country" do 10x the damage deer do, in my opinion and experience.

Our state resource, deer, which we all own and should protect, will constantly be under jeopardy from many angles, almost all boiling down to $ if you follow the path of what's going on. Unfortunately, anything proposed by almost any special interest group will come down to $ and that will translate, in almost all cases, to a situation that will harm the resource, not help it. Like I said before, you rarely see new regulations that will greatly enhance the resource - you do but it's not near as common as the threats coming from all angles & sides constantly.

I agree FB & Politicians are the biggest threat. Special interest lobbying groups as well. And yes, before you correct me, I understand the "good guys" have special interest lobbying groups as well but they are a drop in the bucket with how many, $ they can spend and how aggressive they are. I think FB has what, 2-3 full time lobbyists alone? I could be wrong, I think that's about right though.

I mentioned this at the DNR meetings, I know some folks from FB... The scoop many of us know and have heard.... It's about 50-100 or so farmers that voice up and raise holy heck about the deer issue and steer the direction of the whole organization on that. The rest of members, they essentially don't hear much from. Those farmers are a small group that end up having a huge influence on the Lobbyists, Governor (FB is in top 20 that "donate" to Governor), etc. It's a miracle we won the last round of debate. But, with our #'s, we did the right thing and the "right outcome" came out on this battle.

Yep, FB is no good, IMO, a huge threat to us as hunters, conservationists, etc. And I farm. I farm in "deer country" too BTW. Side note.... Deer are not costing me a fortune, they just aren't. Silly things like tree roots sucking moisture from crops, coons, rougher soils in our "deer country" do 10x the damage deer do, in my opinion and experience.

Our state resource, deer, which we all own and should protect, will constantly be under jeopardy from many angles, almost all boiling down to $ if you follow the path of what's going on. Unfortunately, anything proposed by almost any special interest group will come down to $ and that will translate, in almost all cases, to a situation that will harm the resource, not help it. Like I said before, you rarely see new regulations that will greatly enhance the resource - you do but it's not near as common as the threats coming from all angles & sides constantly.

Sligh, I don't disagree that deer in Iowa probably aren't costing Iowa deer farmers a fortune, unless their population is very, very heavy. This isn't the case in my area, and that is probably why I rarely hear farmers complain about them (I play farmer in the spring and fall for a guy and my job relates directly to the ag community).

I think there are some states, or areas in some states, where the deer population is very, very thick, and causes a lot of crop loss. If you read another thread posted here today, that linked you over to Ag Talk, you can read about a farmer that has to replant "x" acres of soybeans every year due to crop loss caused by deer. Well, when the crop costs so much to put in the first time, and to spray, just to come back and replant costs them extra money (as you know), so that does cut into SOME farmers profits.

Again, I don't think that is a huge deal here in Iowa, at least not for anyone I've ever talked to.

I'm pretty sure if deer were eating your potential profits, you'd consider them rats as well. Yep, farmers had a few good years with high prices, but don't let all the new paint and pick-ups fool you. If you know anyone in the farming side of things, you'll know that this year is a really lean year, and next year is looking worse. Not only due to prices, but large projected carry-outs going into 2015.

Given, I'll never agree with any company that advocates for killing deer for no reason, nor do I have any farmers in my area that would consider anything similar to that. Oh, and your "corporate farms" is pretty laughable. I'd love to know what you consider a "corporate farm"...do you base that on acres you assume someone farms? How many machines you see in the fields?

yes corporate farms are more and more in play. Hire a farm manager for $50k a year while the corp makes millions. As more farms come online hire more managers. Not a good trend in my opinion.

By corporate Farms I mean Huge operations. I know of one close to me. Owns most all the land around now. Big Hog confinement too. Not against farmers. I personally know quite a few that are great folks. They are well off though. Maybe some down yrs,,but they are doing just fine!

I have nothing against farmers. My step-dad did for years and still raises some cattle. He is not doing bad and most farmers I know of complain like they are, but are not. Most make out better than I do at the end of the year, plus they can write a lot of costs off and bring in some huge checks from subsidies and conservation groups.

The market got flooded with corn the last few years, simply supply and demand, is why prices are down. A lot of farms pushed a little more rows in or plowed a little closer into a waterway or creek. I can not blame someone for trying to make a buck, I do side jobs all the time to make extra cash, but I hate it when farmers complain about prices being so low.

I saw the other day where E85 was higher than regular with 10% ethanol. I thought that was never suppose to happen. With E85 being higher, ethanol just became an unsustainable energy source. But will keep collecting subsidy to be produced. If a few more rows were allowed to grow back into "weeds" maybe supply would not produce demand.

Sligh, I don't disagree that deer in Iowa probably aren't costing Iowa deer farmers a fortune, unless their population is very, very heavy. This isn't the case in my area, and that is probably why I rarely hear farmers complain about them (I play farmer in the spring and fall for a guy and my job relates directly to the ag community).

I think there are some states, or areas in some states, where the deer population is very, very thick, and causes a lot of crop loss. If you read another thread posted here today, that linked you over to Ag Talk, you can read about a farmer that has to replant "x" acres of soybeans every year due to crop loss caused by deer. Well, when the crop costs so much to put in the first time, and to spray, just to come back and replant costs them extra money (as you know), so that does cut into SOME farmers profits.

Again, I don't think that is a huge deal here in Iowa, at least not for anyone I've ever talked to.

Sad thing is I bet that farmer didn't let anybody hunt his land. That or leased it out to a small group that hunted for bucks and might have shot a handful of does.

The biggest threat to hunting in my area. Is the land hungry farmers willing to pay hand and foot for marginal land to destroy all of the timber and till all of the wetlands. I am a Farmer and a bigger conservationist. Hopefully the government keeps paying for CRP programs. And someday puts restrictions on the removable of woodlands and wetlands

I find post about farmers being rich and greed entertaining. You can't tell how well off someone is by driving by looking at there operations. Most people don't know much money it takes to plant an acre of ground. I don't understand your jobs and most on here don't understand the farmers job. If a farmer is located in southern part of iowa the last five years have been difficult years with the extreme weather we have had. This year I had tremendous crops but the price Is about half what it was and input are at all time highs. Not complaining just explaining it not easy farming. That being said our deer herd is only about 30 percent what was before the late doe seasons. I hope the governor figures this out before it gets worse.

Just to be on the record. The farmers I am talking about I know personally, not just by driving by the farm. They are doing alright believe me.

Why all the hate if people are doing well? Would people be happier if farmers were all dirt poor with broken backs? They've had a good run the past few years, good for them.

It's not hate . I just think those farmers that cry about deer hurting their profits is silly. Now I am sure there are some farmers who are just getting by,and there are some farmers, and tree farms, near large deer populations,, that really suffer damage, but for the most part,,I don't think deer are making farmers poor. I don't hate wealthy people. Like I said,,some of those I know are well off, and great friends at the same time. They do not hate the deer either. Farm Bureau wanting the laws changed so farmers could shoot deer and just leave them lay,,really got me!

If I'm not mistaken the federal government subsidizes crop losses when they occur. I'm not saying farmers are living high but I don't think they lose. They do just fine.

By corporate I am sure he means the guys from Peterson farms out of Missouri or Kansas. They are eating up acres and acres of timber bulldozing them down leveling everything just to plant every possible inch of soil. We have lost 3 farms with over 450 acres of timbers that are now owned by Peterson farms and the timbers are no longer. Another farm with 1000 acres of timbers is now a cattle feed lot. So farms are disappearing at a fast pace.

loneranger I think you should be careful what you say about farmers without them your places to hunt would be a lot smaller. you shouldn't complain your hungry with a mouthful of food

Example 2 guys each own 160 a with farmland and timber on them.one is a hunter the other is a farmer that does not hunt. each has a different objective opionion one owns the land to hunt for recreation. the other for bussness why should 1 make less profit so 2s hunting is good what is in it for 1

Top Bottom