Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The other side of the argument

I love farmers, related to many and friends with many more. the first question I ask a farmer that complains about deer numbers is "how many hunters do you allow on your land". one I talked to owns/operates on 14,000 acres and he was complaining to GFP... Trying to get 40 depredation tags AND make them fence off all his hay stacks. Yet only him and his 2 sons are allowed to hunt.

My in-laws were guilty of this as they never allowed goose hunters but we're complaining of non-migratory geese destroying their beans. I asked them that question and they now allow many people to hunt early goose season, which has in a small way helped them

"Field Rats" as farmers refer to them..

Yes, different mentality completely. If you're a farmer with no interest in hunting, they are nothing more than yield robbers.

Lots of great knowledge on Agtalk..

Yes, as well all know most farmers have a strong dislike of deer. I just thought that thread hit if from a different angle this time, showing the loss of human life and well being, primarily, and financial loss through wrecked cars. Around here, most the farmers who own timber or rougher farms, do hunt deer. I've suggested on the farming forums that farmers could show some goodwill, and keep a few green spaces or put in a few pollinator patches here or there. It usually doesn't go over very well, at least by those who respond. They say "you first", to which I say, "already have." I don't think they need to build habitat to shelter deer, but it sure wouldn't hurt things if the ones who were able, showed a kinder, gentler side, as opposed to the typical "all ditch rats must die." Sometimes on these habitat/hunting forums I make a comment that the herds definitely need to be kept in check, or else the govt will do it for you. Typically someone will reply that the herd has never been too big, and that the best big buck hunting they ever had was when the herd was its biggest. Most farmers think the world revolves around them. Most hunters think the world revolves around them.

Lets just take the high road and say that common sense is not a flower that grows in their gardens. Ah heck with it I'll take the low road, if they had any ambition they'd be out killing coon the 9 months they are not busy instead of spending thousand of dollars in fuel making waterways and ditches look like golf courses... :cool:

Lets just take the high road and say that common sense is not a flower that grows in their gardens. Ah heck with it I'll take the low road, if they had any ambition they'd be out killing coon the 9 months they are not busy instead of spending thousand of dollars in fuel making waterways and ditches look like golf courses... :cool:
I think you have a typo
You probably meant to say 9 weeks instead of 9 months.
I know of no farmer me included that is only busy 3 months out of 1 year.

It's beneficial to mow grass waterways.

While I do not have my road ditches looking like golf courses, I do mow them a couple times a year. Around here, scumbags dump their tvs and furniture just off the shoulder. Country roads are narrow. I don't want anyone's grandma blasting something large and flipping their car in the ditch. Other reasons too. Stay open minded.

Legitimate question, no tone. What are the benefits to mowing waterways?
Prevent weeds from going to seed and prevent woody invasive species. We round bale our waterways for livestock feed. I've seen where deep grass in a waterway forces the water to run alongside of it, cutting a ditch. That waterway probably needed some cat work.

People complaining about deer….. I think 90% of it is: humans love to complain & ignore solutions!! Few examples…
1) my vehicles have steel bumpers on them. Cheap. I’m in deer country. If I pay close attention- I avoid deer. If I don’t- the steel bumper makes hitting a deer a non issue. If u live in deer country - get a vehicle like that. Just like if u live in snow country- get 4 wheel drive.
2) deer, unlike coons or other critters have more people that want to hunt them vs land that will allow for it. U want em killed - put an ad on Craigslist. Call your CO & unlimited list of hunters to shoot does. Dep tags. Get paid to put your ground in walkin hunting. On & on.
3) had some guys with tree nurseries complaining deer rub trees. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of trees. Showed them pictures of my high fence tree nursery. Materials were $6,500 for 8 acres. How on earth could anyone have a huge value in trees & not protect them when a high fence is easy & permanently solves the issue? Crazy to me.
4) busy roadways with forest & high deer #’s …. Look around parts of iowa and around the country - high fence the sides of the roads!!!! Vs the cost of the road & the vehicle damage it would stop- be a TINY expense that would pay for itself (NET) in a few years.

Reality is- people existing - gonna complain about anything & everything with certain folks. We all know these people. When folks won’t take the time to utilize extremely viable solutions & countless #’s of them - the complaints shouldn’t carry much weight. In all fairness- we need to educate with the countless solutions BUT, IMHO - the vast majority are just complainers who won’t take the time to implement existing solutions. They just wanna bitch.

Skip's post reminds me of all the complaining about feral hogs down south. Everybody complains about them but try to get permission to hunt them for free. Maybe it is easier than I've heard.

People complaining about deer….. I think 90% of it is: humans love to complain & ignore solutions!! Few examples…
1) my vehicles have steel bumpers on them. Cheap. I’m in deer country. If I pay close attention- I avoid deer. If I don’t- the steel bumper makes hitting a deer a non issue. If u live in deer country - get a vehicle like that. Just like if u live in snow country- get 4 wheel drive.
2) deer, unlike coons or other critters have more people that want to hunt them vs land that will allow for it. U want em killed - put an ad on Craigslist. Call your CO & unlimited list of hunters to shoot does. Dep tags. Get paid to put your ground in walkin hunting. On & on.
3) had some guys with tree nurseries complaining deer rub trees. Hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of trees. Showed them pictures of my high fence tree nursery. Materials were $6,500 for 8 acres. How on earth could anyone have a huge value in trees & not protect them when a high fence is easy & permanently solves the issue? Crazy to me.
4) busy roadways with forest & high deer #’s …. Look around parts of iowa and around the country - high fence the sides of the roads!!!! Vs the cost of the road & the vehicle damage it would stop- be a TINY expense that would pay for itself (NET) in a few years.

Reality is- people existing - gonna complain about anything & everything with certain folks. We all know these people. When folks won’t take the time to utilize extremely viable solutions & countless #’s of them - the complaints shouldn’t carry much weight. In all fairness- we need to educate with the countless solutions BUT, IMHO - the vast majority are just complainers who won’t take the time to implement existing solutions. They just wanna bitch.
When addressing a situation, some look for a way to fail, others look for a way to succeed.

Top Bottom