Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The biggest threat:

one more thing you all bash the farmer on here and how he handles his land then turn around and want them to let you hunt. kinda talking out of both sides of your mouth if I knew what you posted on this site I would not let you hunt if you ask very sad how you come from town and tink this farmland should be for your pleasure while some one else has the burden of land payment.taxes insurance, and upkeep. whats wrong with this picture? I am a farmer and a hunter

My grandfather being a Grain/hog farmer for nearly 50 years told us grandsons one evening while we where having a couple of beers about the business , the first thing out of his mouth was boys there's no such thing as a poor farmer. When the prices are high we pick. It's a dry season it's a loss, it's a rainy season it's a loss, crop damage by animals it's a loss, the tax breaks he said he gets compared to the working man, the loans he can get for about nothing, he asked us how many farms we ever saw go up for sheriff sale in this area? The gov and the insurance company's take care of the poor ole farmers. That's why I have no time for farmers that cry about crop damage.

The biggest threat to deer, more than allowing another kind of bow,,to me is the Farm Bureau. Or Farmers who consider deer profit eating RATS. Check out the article on the Midwest Whitetail site, where Farm Bureau is keeping up the drum beat,,,Kill More Deer! Make it easier for farmers. Like being able to leave them lay. Since moving to Iowa I have yet to meet a poor farmer. At least not in my area. Most land around me is going into larger and larger corporate type operations. I am sure there are still some small operations.

If anyone does not like what FB is doing, make sure you join the Iowa Bowhunters Association that will lobby against FB and what others are tryng to do to deer hunting in our state.

I personally believe the biggest threat to deer hunting is us, the deer hunters. Farm Bureau did not cause the large population drop. They may have influenced high doe tag numbers but at the end of the day, we were killing the deer. I fell for the trap when I was younger. Also as hunters, a lot are divided. A lot of bowhunters hate gun hunters and vice versa. What is the old saying, divided we fall, united we stand.

I think there is many pieces to the DEER Puzzle and the FB is just one of them. IF someone or some organization does not put the brakes on all the deer being shot it will be to Late for Iowa.

Pop over to Prarie State Outdoors and read the article Don Higgins wrote about what happend in Illinois and how bad it has become from a once great state.

Don't start bashing the non-residents because this one guys in in the hands of the heads in Govt here. It will not be one law or thing that brings a herd down but several things going bad and Boom all of the sudden people will be talking about the ole days.

Last edited:
I've got to be honest. I don't know any insurance guys going around shooting deer to lower the deer population. Hunters are they ones controlling the population. It's our job to back off if numbers are getting below levels we enjoy hunting at....

I personally believe the biggest threat to deer hunting is us, the deer hunters. Farm Bureau did not cause the large population drop. They may have influenced high doe tag numbers but at the end of the day, we were killing the deer. I fell for the trap when I was younger. Also as hunters, a lot are divided. A lot of bowhunters hate gun hunters and vice versa. What is the old saying, divided we fall, united we stand.

Well put. Totally agree. The ball is ours to drop. I think we need to inform the inexperienced hunters better on deer management. Whether they care enough to implement some sort of personal harvest quota is left up to the individual. But when they start to see numbers drop, then maybe their eyes will open a bit.

We dairy farm so its a tad bit different because we can't choose what price we sell our milk for. We had a good year this year but we still are paying for 9$ milk oround 09. So there are huge swings. But I know of several crop farmers that turned down 7$ for corn to get 8$. So overall I don't feel bad for huge farms that always want more acres. The main problem here is they dont allow that many hunters. If they own it they lease it or hunt it, or have a few friends or family that hunt. They don't kill near enough doe's. Under no circumstances is shoot and leaving them lay a reasonable option. Put an add out and I bet you would get plenty of hunters to take them out. I would agree that deer do damage but they aren't even as bad as raccoons unless you leave your corn in thru December or January.

I see a trend on the posts above many who don't own there own land or have rec farms want lots of deer and the government protecting every little wet spot in someone else's field. Those that farm or grew up close to it know it isn't always as lucrative as today. I am a strong believer in landowner rights. Farm Bureau does protect the rights of landowners. I do understand the need for soil and water conservation but want my participation with fsa/nrcs to continue to be voluntary.i have crp and lots of other ties to gov programs so I am stuck following there conservation plans. When I bought my most recent farm the first thing I did was doze all the fence rows and straighten all the fields the reason I did this is the crop makes the payment not trees or deer. I still respect the farmers that can do without the gov subsidys and just farm couple big ones around us ,if a field doesn't drain it will soon with out anyone's permission.

This has gotten out of hand! why is it the farmer drug into this.because he complains at the coffe shop about the deer,coon beavers ext. damage to his crops. If you are all so ignorant to think that crop insuance federal subs keep us afloat I feel for you none of you should make any asumpsions on what it takes to farm and the things that effect it unless you hve stood in a farmers shoes most of you could not back up any of your claims if you had to it is talk. If you want to sling comments here are a few hunters leave gates open go in fields when wet shoot by homes and livestock road hunt ask for permission once think it is for a lifetime I know this applies to a select few and am not saying any of you do this how a farmer carries on his business affairs or financial position as not pertanant to the deer pop he does not bring your financial well being into this. Just because this issue is important to you does not mean others need to be bad mouthed because the do not have the same opinion. If you all hate farmers this much maybe you should stay in town and hunt deer. he does not own this land just for your enjoyment and agendais

I see a trend on the posts above many who don't own there own land or have rec farms want lots of deer and the government protecting every little wet spot in someone else's field. Those that farm or grew up close to it know it isn't always as lucrative as today. I am a strong believer in landowner rights. Farm Bureau does protect the rights of landowners. I do understand the need for soil and water conservation but want my participation with fsa/nrcs to continue to be voluntary.i have crp and lots of other ties to gov programs so I am stuck following there conservation plans. When I bought my most recent farm the first thing I did was doze all the fence rows and straighten all the fields the reason I did this is the crop makes the payment not trees or deer. I still respect the farmers that can do without the gov subsidies and just farm couple big ones around us ,if a field doesn't drain it will soon with out anyone's permission.
The thing is, do farmers care that the miles and miles of tile increase flooding downstream? My dad is a farmer, his father and he ran a dozing and tiling business too. We now have a black desert on all the ground in the family. The funny thing is when farmers ask me why I think we don't have pheasants like we used to, or why PF isn't doing a good job bringing them back....then proceed to tell me they dozed a half mile of hedgerow and are taking the CRP and putting it into production. They blame the turkeys, the hawks, etc....the simple answer is....it's the habitat...or lack there of. I can't tell you how to make money, but I can tell you to quit screwing up the water quality....by farming shitty CSR ground that should be in grass.

Like I said, I farm and, I will say, I am very concerned many farmers (like MOST), engage in practices that "hurt" others.... Amount of soil loss & water quality issues is troubling & I see it every year, kinda sad. Almost every farm I see (I'm gonna GUESS 90%) had dozing take place to push out trees, farm closer to creeks, farm marginal land, etc in the past 1-4 years - having some negative impact on people downstream, wildlife, etc, etc, etc.
I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY FOLKS DO IT. I can't blame them on one hand, it's their livelihood. To make sure I'm not "bashing", I'll use my own family on this one.... My wife's side dozed out every last drop of trees & brush I used to try and push a couple pheasants out of. I was sitting there in the spring/early summer after the disced up all the fields aggressively and we had a 3-4" rain while I was there.... it was sad to see what the creeks looked like and how much soil you could see move down. I think it's human nature's "GREED" that impacts almost anyone in any area of life.....

All Farm Bureau is doing is passing forward that organized GREED. Whether good or bad, they have their agenda. Just like a UNION, Lobbying group, WHATEVER - each group is out for themselves and if other areas suffer, it generally is not part of their equation. They will "Grab as much as they can" in any regards. It's human nature. FB just happens to be extremely bad offenders and worse than many others, IMO.

Like I said, I farm and, I will say, I am very concerned many farmers (like MOST), engage in practices that "hurt" others.... Amount of soil loss & water quality issues is troubling & I see it every year, kinda sad. Almost every farm I see (I'm gonna GUESS 90%) had dozing take place to push out trees, farm closer to creeks, farm marginal land, etc in the past 1-4 years - having some negative impact on people downstream, wildlife, etc, etc, etc.
I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY FOLKS DO IT. I can't blame them on one hand, it's their livelihood. To make sure I'm not "bashing", I'll use my own family on this one.... My wife's side dozed out every last drop of trees & brush I used to try and push a couple pheasants out of. I was sitting there in the spring/early summer after the disced up all the fields aggressively and we had a 3-4" rain while I was there.... it was sad to see what the creeks looked like and how much soil you could see move down. I think it's human nature's "GREED" that impacts almost anyone in any area of life.....

All Farm Bureau is doing is passing forward that organized GREED. Whether good or bad, they have their agenda. Just like a UNION, Lobbying group, WHATEVER - each group is out for themselves and if other areas suffer, it generally is not part of their equation. They will "Grab as much as they can" in any regards. It's human nature. FB just happens to be extremely bad offenders and worse than many others, IMO.

This....exactly this.

guys this is a deer forum not a place to bad mouth the guy who just let you hunt or would someday you know we are all at fault with the environment in some way. where it was acorn field once is now a mall or a housing development with a culldasack. I think any of you that want to continue this should have to own their own land hunt public or stay home they would not be welcome on my farm and I do not turn to many away..Also why have none of you talked about the things some hunters do to give all of us a black eye!!!

Simple solution: don't like how others treat the ground they own, buy it. Rinse, repeat as often as possible until you control it all so that you can do as you see fit.

"Problem" solved.;)

Top Bottom