Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Total deer harvest

Hillwalker

I see the total harvest is setting at 80500. One more weekend of shotgun and then Late Muzzy. If we hit 90000 is that lower that last year????

A quick google search showed this but it didn't want to load in a new window:
Iowawhitetail

www.[B]iowa[/B]whitetail.com/
For the first time since the mid-1990s, Iowa's deer harvest has dropped below 100,000. Hunters reported 99,406 deer for the 2013 season, which is a decline of ...

Since it was so close to 100k last year, probably still could hit 100k this season,
example of last year:
1410_G118_IA1.jpg

Remember last year had more antlerless tags and and a whole doe season in those numbers as well.

Could anyone explain to me what the special hunts was? I'm thinking it own urban hunts but not sure.

Gotta wonder why in early muzzy there was shed bucks taken and in January antler less there was antlered bucks taken

Gotta wonder why in early muzzy there was shed bucks taken and in January antler less there was antlered bucks taken

I have talked to a few guys who gun hunt and if a buck they killed nose planted and broke one antler off then they used their antlerless/shed buck tag. I guess it's just another way to keep the buck tag.

They may have reduced antlerless tags, but some county's reduction wasn't below the amount of tags they sold in previous years. Sounds good to those not paying attention......politics.

They may have reduced antlerless tags, but some county's reduction wasn't below the amount of tags they sold in previous years. Sounds good to those not paying attention......politics.

Yep, sneaky way to look good but keep the same $$ flowing.

goes with this topic:
http://www.iowadnr.gov/insidednr/socialmediapressroom/newsreleases/vw/1/itemid/2388
Iowa Deer Harvest Similar to 2013
Posted: 12/23/2014
Heading in to the final weeks of Iowa 2014 deer hunting season, hunters are on pace to harvest an estimated 100,000 deer, which would be similar to 2013.
The reported harvest was trailing 2013 totals until hunters reported a 40 percent increase during the second weekend of the nine-day second shotgun deer season, pushing the second season harvest three percent higher than 2013, but 35 percent lower than the peak of 2006.
Harvest for the year to date is 4,300 more deer than the same time last year, led by an 11 percent increase in the buck harvest. The doe harvest is down 1 percent which is the result of regulations changes.
The late muzzleloader season is Dec. 22 to Jan. 10, 2015, which is the final opportunity to hunt deer this year, after the late January antlerless deer season was eliminated.
A new rule change allows Iowa residents the option of using a crossbow during the late muzzleloader deer season, in addition to a regular bow, muzzleloader or handgun as a method of take.
Iowa’s archery deer season reopened Dec. 22 after closing for the two shotgun seasons. The archery season is open through Jan. 10, 2015.

For more information, contact Willie Suchy, Wildlife Research Supervisor, Iowa Department of Natural Resources, 515-725-8499.

Top Bottom