Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Metal Building Advice

Jdubs

I'm looking to construct a 40 x 60 metal building half of which will be used for storage and I would like to finish the other half for a camp in the future. Any do's and dont's is greatly appreciated in all areas including contractors ie using the Amish vs. buying a Morton Building. I'm located in south central Iowa. Thanks in advance.

I'm also south central. I had a 63 x 54 menards building put up by Amish from derby. Trying to remember his name. Have heard many good and many bad things using Amish. The one I used was excellant. Have heard others want to use all your stuff to build your building, instead of their own. Morton costs more, part of the cost is insurance, but I have insurance, don't need to pay double insurance. Menards delivered to the building site.

It really depends on what your looking for in a pole barn. Yes the Amish building will be cheaper but with the price you will get lower grade lumber and thinner steel. With a company like morton you will get the best lumber available and heavier gage steel. You will also get a company who stands behind there product along with a great warranty. If you want anymore information you can pm me.

Just shop around and you can always check with a local lumberyard for good builders in the area. There are two myths about the Amish which are not always true. . One is that they are cheaper and two has to deal with the quality of workmanship.

Putting Up A 40X60 Too. Hopefully Going To Get Last Of Steel On This Week, Doing It All Myself So Its Been A 4 Month Project. I Definitely Recommend A Steel Frame Building. The Extra Head Room Is Awesome. My Frame Was A Tear Down From Another Building But I Dont Think They Are That Much More Expensive.
You can definitely afford it if your considering a morton, they are crazy expensive.
IMG_20141010_130122_312.jpg

IMG_20141211_150843_9902.jpg

Last edited:
I put up a 40 X 80, if you are putting up a pole type barn make sure you have the trusses set on four or eight foot centers. I set mine on four foot so I could attach the ceiling material. I use half for storage and the rest we finished for a shop and bunkhouse for people to stay in while visiting.

I wanted to add this because in no way was I putting the Amish down on there craftsmanship. I have personally had them do cabinets and other such woodworking projects throughout my house and thought they did a wonderful job. This being said if you want more info on the Morton products get a hold of me. I've been constructing Morton buildings for 15 years and would be glad to help with any questions you have on our product or the post frame industry in general.

Thats just OSB above the wainscoat. Still gotta put steel over it, hopefully today i will get it started.

Thanks for the responses. Two questions. Scott's building looks great. Any opinions on steel frame vs. timber poles? Secondly, as I mentioned I want to finish half of the building and was told not to pour a concrete slab in the portion to be finished, but to put a sub floor on a three or four block foundation to prevent the effects of contraction/expansion and to run water lines, etc. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the responses. Two questions. Scott's building looks great. Any opinions on steel frame vs. timber poles? Secondly, as I mentioned I want to finish half of the building and was told not to pour a concrete slab in the portion to be finished, but to put a sub floor on a three or four block foundation to prevent the effects of contraction/expansion and to run water lines, etc. What do you guys think?

If you are heating the finished side I would highly highly recommend going with in floor heat. Water and drain lines would be below the concrete. You will never regret running the in floor heat.

I'm working on continuing on my career in this line of work and I have been in the commercial end of steel buildings. Here's one big point that has always been brought up. In 20 years, will the amish still be there to back your building, will they be willing to donate to your kids sports funds or athletic programs. Nothing against the Amish, but always was a great point brought up to me. Morton, Cleary you name it. They'll be around for the long haul.

My grandpa was suppose to have a 40 by 64 metal building built by a company called Whitetial Construction. They are out of the Centerville area. The building was suppose to be built by the last weekend of June but it still isn't built!! Have called them hundreds of times, they said they are behind and had 2 crews going, lol said that multiple times! Still haven't came. It is very fishy, starting to find out that other people are having the same problem with the guy and his company. My grandpa put 2500 bucks down on the building, he is probably going to go to court for it! Giving you guys a heads up!!! Don't use Whitetial Construction out of the Centerville area! On their website they are taking in 2015 jobs and quotes but they still don't have our building done, F*****!

Last edited:
That is good to know. I had them bid out a building for me to be built next spring. I did have a building put up by Amish a couple of years ago that I have been very happy with. They showed up when they said they would and had it completed on time. He can just be a little tough to get a hold of. He has put up buildings for others I have talked to and others I have recommended.

I just hired a local guy to do mine. 30X40, he recommended a LVL truss system that allowed me to have a ten foot door with nine foot sidewalls. As I was told though, no matter what size you build, you will want it bigger. Wish I would have went 50 feet long.

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom