Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Bowhunters Association

Boyd, I think the website update and social media venues would be a great investment. But they are only as good as the content and how current the updates are. A few months ago I went to the website to see when the banquet was and couldn't find anything current I did find information for last years. I then assumed it was the same weekend as the Deer Classic and ended up scheduling something else instead regretfully.. I know I could of contacted you, etc. but this is just an example of the benefits. I would also prefer the newsletter in an electronic format but that's just me paper and I don't get along. No matter what I will be a life long memory and will support the IBA anyway I can.

That is exactly why we are revamping and rebuilding the website, Jake (Sheepman), Corey (Hawk32) and I are all part of the new marketing committee and we are fixing to change things up and stay current.

Check out the new twitter feed at https://twitter.com/IABowhunters - lots of fresh new content daily

Also, the bowhunter is available via .PDF on our website and has been for a couple years since I requested we make that change for people just like you. Its just kind of hard to locate under the current website format. Check those out at http://iowabowhunters.org/newsletters.htm

Last edited:
I have sent in money twice to the IBA but after I have done that I have not heard anything. No newsletters, email updates etc or letters saying I need to renew. I did not see a benefit outside of just sending money and not hearing anything. I would like to support the IBA but it would be cool to at least get an email update on newsletters or something along those lines to see what is going on. As far as attending events it is simply a time issue. Tough to get away with little kids.

We have a new Treasurer in charge of doing exactly that and I guarantee that will not happen again. If you send a PM to Hawk32 here on IW he can look up your name in our membership and see what has happened. Possibly a mistyped address or something prevented you from receiving anything - we will do whatever we need to do to get that fixed.

Btw great constructive thread and it's great to hear of changes and new ideas. I also commend Sheepman for getting in the board as a younger person to serve.

Thanks guys for the feedback. In everything we do there is always a better way to build the mousetrap.

I think the website change will be a great for the membership, not only because we will be able to update it much more regularly, but it will also be so much more user friendly and attractive.

The website will be the repository for information, but following the IBA on twitter and facebook is the fastest way to get the most up-to-date information.

That is exactly why we are revamping and rebuilding the website, Jake (Sheepman), Corey (Hawk32) and I are all part of the new marketing committee and we are fixing to change things up and stay current.

Check out the new twitter feed at https://twitter.com/IABowhunters - lots of fresh new content daily

Also, the bowhunter is available via .PDF on our website and has been for a couple years since I requested we make that change for people just like you. Its just kind of hard to locate under the current website format. Check those out at http://iowabowhunters.org/newsletters.htm

In my opinion your facebook page is a way more effective outlet to reach people. 1,500 likes is not good. With effort that could be increased tenfold and you will begin reaching a lot of people and spreading the message.

In my opinion your facebook page is a way more effective outlet to reach people. 1,500 likes is not good. With effort that could be increased tenfold and you will begin reaching a lot of people and spreading the message.

I agree. I created the Twitter account on Sunday and we are already at 50 followers. I think the big thing is to get likes is to make sure your friends like the page, and also to keep sharing posts the IBA puts out. If more of these two activities start happening the likes for the page and posts will go up.

I personally like what the organization has done. Lobby against changes to season structure, making sure there are no gun seasons in November.

The reason I will not join is because the IBA prevents my family from hunting the farm that I own in Iowa. I've talked to a board members about NR landowner doe tags and NR youth tags (lobby for that so that we can actually hunt our farm with a bow).

I didn't get anywhere. If they would work with the NR landowner they may get dozens of new members??

Liv PM me your address, promise you will receive all all you have paid for.

"I have sent in money twice to the IBA but after I have done that I have not heard anything. No newsletters, email updates etc or letters saying I need to renew. I did not see a benefit outside of just sending money and not hearing anything. I would like to support the IBA but it would be cool to at least get an email update on newsletters or something along those lines to see what is going on. As far as attending events it is simply a time issue."

IBA is a critical organization and when ALL OF US HUNTERS step out the door and experience Iowa as a TOP TIER state (even though we've had some challenges in last 5 years) - you better, in part, thank IBA. You go across border and see how much worse MO is than Iowa, it would blow your mind, same with north just across border into MN or even IL. IBA has fended off countless attacks that would have crippled our state. It's at least been a big part of why Iowa has remained the "beacon on a hill" - a shining example of management & sound, logical regulations. The list of good accomplishments and good legislation they've supported, backed or won is nothing less than astounding. Same with the crap they have had to defend, those ATTACKS by the money pimps and special interests are not going to slow (especially if hunting improves/recovers, which we all want).
I can write 5 pages on the benefits of the IBA (obviously I won't) but, to keep this short, without them, I personally don't think Iowa would be Iowa for deer management and opportunity for ALL HUNTERS being far better because of them. They are the voice of the common sense, management minded, resource protecting Bow hunters (and heck, this contributes to all hunters in a big way), conservationist, hunters in general, etc. Of "10" recent battles I've seen where our resource has been pimped out for $, attacked, hurt with regulation (say the late shed buck season), etc, etc - they have came down on the "right side" of all the last 10 or so issues I can think of. JOIN! My NR buddies even join, they see the benefits of the IBA, it's immense folks. Without them, we'll go down the path of IL, MI, PA, MO, etc, etc.
I'll be honest, if I had to choose carefully on who I join (no offense and this is just OPINION, without debate, one guy's opinion) - I'd join IBA over NRA, over NWTF, etc, etc. If you care about our deer resource and don't want it pimped and destroyed, make things easy on yourself, at minimum, join. Do your part.

As far as the banquet.... I'm going to try and go this year. I'm "young", kinda, sorta... 36. I've had great discussions with head guys at IBA, all receptive, supportive, active (get back to me!!!!) and been top notch folks. They are "human" but I have been very impressed. Don't know what to say about Banquet but I'm planning on attending this year. IBA, as a whole, is a critical piece of the deer resource puzzle we all must get behind if we want Iowa to get better and continue to be the best managed state in the country (or at least top shelf, top tier). Join.

Last edited:
I personally like what the organization has done. Lobby against changes to season structure, making sure there are no gun seasons in November.

The reason I will not join is because the IBA prevents my family from hunting the farm that I own in Iowa. I've talked to a board members about NR landowner doe tags and NR youth tags (lobby for that so that we can actually hunt our farm with a bow).

I didn't get anywhere. If they would work with the NR landowner they may get dozens of new members??

The IBA votes and lobbies according to what our paid memberships ask us to do. Non-resident landowners are a tricky subject and when we ask the members, the overwhelming response is to keep things the way they are. They don't want non-residents to be able to come in and buy up land and then get guaranteed tags because of it. That would encourage more nonresidents to buy up land that could in essence prevent them from access to more and more land. Its getting harder and harder to find a quality place to hunt without buying or leasing land - this would get worse if nonresident landowners were guaranteed tags instead of being placed into the lottery like everyone else.

IBA is a critical organization and when ALL OF US HUNTERS step out the door and experience Iowa as a TOP TIER state (even though we've had some challenges in last 5 years) - you better, in part, thank IBA. You go across border and see how much worse MO is than Iowa, it would blow your mind, same with north just across border into MN or even IL. IBA has fended off countless attacks that would have crippled our state. It's at least been a big part of why Iowa has remained the "beacon on a hill" - a shining example of management & sound, logical regulations. The list of good accomplishments and good legislation they've supported, backed or won is nothing less than astounding. Same with the crap they have had to defend, those ATTACKS by the money pimps and special interests are not going to slow (especially if hunting improves/recovers, which we all want).
I can write 5 pages on the benefits of the IBA (obviously I won't) but, to keep this short, without them, I personally don't think Iowa would be Iowa for deer management and opportunity for ALL HUNTERS being far better because of them. They are the voice of the common sense, management minded, resource protecting Bow hunters (and heck, this contributes to all hunters in a big way), conservationist, hunters in general, etc. Of "10" recent battles I've seen where our resource has been pimped out for $, attacked, hurt with regulation (say the late shed buck season), etc, etc - they have came down on the "right side" of all the last 10 or so issues I can think of. JOIN! My NR buddies even join, they see the benefits of the IBA, it's immense folks. Without them, we'll go down the path of IL, MI, PA, MO, etc, etc.
I'll be honest, if I had to choose carefully on who I join (no offense and this is just OPINION, without debate, one guy's opinion) - I'd join IBA over NRA, over NWTF, etc, etc. If you care about our deer resource and don't want it pimped and destroyed, make things easy on yourself, at minimum, join. Do your part.

As far as the banquet.... I'm going to try and go this year. I'm "young", kinda, sorta... 36. I've had great discussions with head guys at IBA, all receptive, supportive, active (get back to me!!!!) and been top notch folks. They are "human" but I have been very impressed. Don't know what to say about Banquet but I'm planning on attending this year. IBA, as a whole, is a critical piece of the deer resource puzzle we all must get behind if we want Iowa to get better and continue to be the best managed state in the country (or at least top shelf, top tier). Join.

Thank you for your support Skip, look forward to seeing you there.

For those of you on the fence about going to the banquet, we also hold an open forum IBA Board Meeting at 1pm that afternoon. We field a Question and Answer period with the board that can be quite educational.

After that at 2pm we do the same thing with the DNR so you have an opportunity to voice your opinions on deer hunting in iowa and regulation changes. Also extremely educational.

The IBA votes and lobbies according to what our paid memberships ask us to do. Non-resident landowners are a tricky subject and when we ask the members, the overwhelming response is to keep things the way they are. They don't want non-residents to be able to come in and buy up land and then get guaranteed tags because of it. That would encourage more nonresidents to buy up land that could in essence prevent them from access to more and more land. Its getting harder and harder to find a quality place to hunt without buying or leasing land - this would get worse if nonresident landowners were guaranteed tags instead of being placed into the lottery like everyone else.

I guess that is a tough call, but NR are buying the land anyway. Personally I doubt they would buy MORE land if they could get some low cost doe tags and youth tags??

Right now NR can buy holiday doe tags or whatever season that is. I simply asked a board member to consider a landowner doe tag (bow could be used) along with a youth tag option.... like I said it didn't go anywhere.

The only way to shoot a doe for the most part is during the shotgun season right now. Yes, I do let some locals hunt for does too.

I guess that is a tough call, but NR are buying the land anyway. Personally I doubt they would buy MORE land if they could get some low cost doe tags and youth tags??

Right now NR can buy holiday doe tags or whatever season that is. I simply asked a board member to consider a landowner doe tag (bow could be used) along with a youth tag option.... like I said it didn't go anywhere.

The only way to shoot a doe for the most part is during the shotgun season right now. Yes, I do let some locals hunt for does too.

Send me a PM with your ideas spelled out in a little more detail and I will present it. Anything that benefits youth especially would get the IBA's attention. We focus a lot on the next generation. You will not get ignored, I promise you that.

Thank you for your support Skip, look forward to seeing you there.

For those of you on the fence about going to the banquet, we also hold an open forum IBA Board Meeting at 1pm that afternoon. We field a Question and Answer period with the board that can be quite educational.

After that at 2pm we do the same thing with the DNR so you have an opportunity to voice your opinions on deer hunting in iowa and regulation changes. Also extremely educational.

Ok, I didn't realize this, this last part, geesh, that alone does it for me.... I'll be there (unless it's when our baby is due!). :)

Send me a PM with your ideas spelled out in a little more detail and I will present it. Anything that benefits youth especially would get the IBA's attention. We focus a lot on the next generation. You will not get ignored, I promise you that.

Thanks I appreciate it!

It’s been a while since I’ve been on IW. I’m sure many of you have said good riddance. With 10 grandkids involved in every sport and activity known to mankind there isn’t a lot of free time. What free time after family is spent on IBA and Iowa Conservation Alliance matters.

I’ve been involved with the IBA for 20 years, 15years as a board member. Six of those years I Proudly served as president. The only reason anyone could call this group a good old boys club or a bunch of elitist is because no one is willing to step up and make suggestions or get involved. The board has begged for new blood, new ideas. When new people do come along and bring in fresh ideas, trust me they are accepted and most times their ideas are put in place. If it’s good for bowhunting in Iowa we will support it.

Many of the current board members don’t understand Face Book, Twitter, Instagram, there are several flip phones at a board meeting and I’ll admit I’m one of them. Help us move into the 21th century, don’t sit on the sidelines, take a stand, get involved. No one is asking you to take on a leadership role (we wouldn’t turn you down)

Criticism we can handle, but we would really like your suggestions and involvement. Any organization is only as strong as its membership. Our beliefs and commitment to bowhunting and the natural resources of Iowa are as strong as ever.

HELP US KEEP BOWHUNTING AND THE NATURAL RESOURCES OF IOWA GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

You want to talk about the IBA, call me, text me, email me, PM me here. We may not always agree but I’ll always listen.

Randy Taylor
641-521-1050
tayphoto@netins.net

Its very simple... a good banquet will attract members. Take a look at whitetails Unlimited.

Divide the state into 9 districts (NW, NC, NE etc)... have 9 banquets across the state (Not one) each year in the months of February and March and NOT on the same weekend as the deer classic. If that sounds like too many, start with 5.

These would be coordinated by local district leaders but in concert with the outline and guidelines by the IBA's major goals. Pay the leaders a little something if you can to encourage their involvement in this.

Have beer, gun raffles, prizes, an auctioneer, dinner and beer. Make it part Deer Classic, part Whitetails Unlimited Banquet, part Pheasants Forever.

Charge $50 for a ticket which includes your annual membership, dinner, a few raffle tickets and a coozie.

Talk about the shoots and other events at the banquet and it will encourage new members to partake in those events.

This would increase the membership like they have never seen as well as raise money for the association like never before.

Every bow hunter I know would go (thus join the IBA) and I know a bunch.

Its very simple... a good banquet will attract members. Take a look at whitetails Unlimited.

Divide the state into 9 districts (NW, NC, NE etc)... have 9 banquets across the state (Not one) each year in the months of February and March and NOT on the same weekend as the deer classic. If that sounds like too many, start with 5.

These would be coordinated by local district leaders but in concert with the outline and guidelines by the IBA's major goals. Pay the leaders a little something if you can to encourage their involvement in this.

Have beer, gun raffles, prizes, an auctioneer, dinner and beer. Make it part Deer Classic, part Whitetails Unlimited Banquet, part Pheasants Forever.

Charge $50 for a ticket which includes your annual membership, dinner, a few raffle tickets and a coozie.

Talk about the shoots and other events at the banquet and it will encourage new members to partake in those events.

This would increase the membership like they have never seen as well as raise money for the association like never before.

Every bow hunter I know would go (thus join the IBA) and I know a bunch.

Great ideas - many of which we are already implementing.
- This year and 2016 and 2017 the IBA Banquet will be held before the Deer Classic and not on the same weekend as has happened so much in the past.
- I'd love to have area banquets but we simply do not have the help or attendance numbers to support such a thing at this time, maybe in the future if we can grow enough to allow it?
- Beer, wine and even mixed drinks have always been available at our banquets.
- Our IBA Board and Area reps are purely Volunteer, we are not allowed to be paid or compensated by Non-profit tax rules. We have board members that drive over 3 hours one way to attend board meetings and events and then buy their own lunch, etc. We buy our own banquet tickets and pay for our own rooms at events like the spring banquet - nothing is given to us. The IBA board is the most dedicated bunch of individuals from widely diversified background with the future of bowhunting set in their hearts.

I understand that there are challenges.

- I'd love to have area banquets but we simply do not have the help or attendance numbers to support such a thing at this time, maybe in the future if we can grow enough to allow it?

I think that maybe you should look at this from another view... regional banquets would provide growth in numbers and dollars which in turn would create self sufficient regional chapters that could organize and run their own regional banquet each year. Regional banquets would create "help" and "numbers."

"Maybe in the future we can grow enough to allow it?" The regional banquets are exactly what would create growth!

So it would suck for the first year when the IBA board has to organize multiple regional banquets, but after that they would take off by themselves.

Just my thoughts. I want the IBA to thrive and have a strong voice regarding deer hunting in our state. The IBA needs $$$ and numbers.

This is a way to do just that.

Top Bottom