Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hinge cut iron wood?

spltbrow

Have a lot of ironwood understory beneath basically all oaks. Not sure if I should hinge or cut the iron wood.

They survive well after hinging however if you want them dead apply tordon after cutting or else you will end up with an even thicker understory of ironwood which basically is useless to a whitetail for nutrition. (They don't touch them on my place anyways).

However they keep their leaves through the winter and they definitely keep the timber thick/not able to see very far and I think that is a good thing for deer and for me getting to certain stands.

I have hinge cut a fair amount of ironwood over the past few years, hickory is the only species that I can think of that I have hinged more of. I have had good success with keeping the main tree alive after hinging from what I remember. (Caveat - I haven't been in my hinge cut areas now for many months, but I will be soon.)

As I recall, while I mainly try for a good hinge...I will also just cut some of them off and let them drop and then drag the "loose" trunk up and on then on top of another hinge or a nearby stump, etc, just to get a little more horizontal trash going. Kind of a little mini-teepee effect.

FWIW, I asked a qualified forester last spring his opinion of what ironwood was good for, his answer, "Dulling chainsaw blades.". I concur and normally leave few of them behind when I work through an area. While I do hit hickories hard too, I never eradicate them from an area. While not the best deer tree in the timber, hickories are far better than ironwoods IMO.

I have never treated the ironwood that I have cut, I'll keep an eye out this winter to see how many are still living, etc.

Kill them all in my opinion. Cut and treat. You will get some instant cover this way, though not so many succulent re sprouts. However, successive regeneration of good trees if you pair the thinning with hinging/girdling/dropping bigger trees to open up the canopy can be outstanding in just a years time. Don't be scared of a good fire to jump start that regen, either.

Ironwood sure can be hinge cut, it sprouts up shoots pretty good. Good to remove too---as firewood it burns forever.

I have cut many, many ironwoods. Applied tordon and most actually survived it a re-sprouted. The tordon was applied right after the cut and they still survived. This was done in late winter. I'm not a fan of them. I guess their only redeeming quality is holding their leaves. Pretty frustrating when you can't kill them though. I did end up going back in with a backpack sprayer (PITA) and hit some with crossbow, but that was more to make the forester happy.

I have the same question and concerns with my timber. I want to cut and treat them all if I could. I walked my timber with a district forester and he basically said to leave them alone unless I was going to plant an area with new "good" trees.

I will probably still cut some though. Although not scientific, I am way more successful killing them when cut/treating in June/July with tordon. Diesel and remedy work better for me in winter. He did say fire will help, but I am still searching to find someone that can do a timber burn for me.

Top Bottom