Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA New member (NR)

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
As a NR I have been reluctant to join the IBA, due to what I would say is IBA's push to limit NR hunters. After a long consideration, and some discussions with IBA members such as gunrunr, sheepman and Sligh1...I have decided to join.

Here is why. I probably would not have bought my farm in Iowa if it were not for this active organization. The IBA has done some very positive things, protecting the key time period (November rut) gun free and that has in turn made Iowa one of the best nationally for mature bucks. Eliminating the shed buck season.

Limiting NR has also helped, I will not deny that. I've always said there is a happy medium and feel that we as NR should still be able to pick up a bow and go hunt with our family on the land we own. Even if it is for does only until we draw... just my thought, and it would be a nice compromise.

That being said, if others states---such as my state MN, had a strong group like the IBA things would improve. We have tried to move the gun season out of the rut in MN without any luck, but we will keep plugging away.

Keep working to make sure November is archery only, no guns/crossbows etc... No late season rifle seasons. Protect what is unique to Iowa, and as new member I may express my voice and concern on occasion and I hope you will respect that. Thanks!

Check is in the mail today.

Last edited:
i love it when a NR realizes the IBA isnt trying to "keep everyone out". the limits and regulations are what has iowa where it is today. i wish our neighboring states would take the guns out of the rut also. their herd quality and hunt quality would skyrocket

i love it when a NR realizes the IBA isnt trying to "keep everyone out". the limits and regulations are what has iowa where it is today. i wish our neighboring states would take the guns out of the rut also. their herd quality and hunt quality would skyrocket

I echo the welcomes for the OP too. But switching gears...can you just imagine what even northern Missouri would be like in 2-3 years if they moved the rifles out of the rut? Skyrocket might be too weak of a description in some areas!

I echo the welcomes for the OP too. But switching gears...can you just imagine what even northern Missouri would be like in 2-3 years if they moved the rifles out of the rut? Skyrocket might be too weak of a description in some areas!

Minnesota too. You should see trail cam pics from an area in MN that is bow hunting only. It will rival anything in the US.

Minnesota too. You should see trail cam pics from an area in MN that is bow hunting only. It will rival anything in the US.

I have no trouble believing that ^^, it's just that I have personally spent more time in northern MO and I can't think of an area anywhere that could change so much, so fast if they didn't allow rifles/guns during the rut.

Well done Hardwood, great thing for Iowa's future, the more guys/gals the better and defending our resource.
Northern MO - I've hunted 5 miles from it and then been across border, it's UNREAL the hunting difference between the 2. I can't put the differences in WORDS. You just can't explain how vast the quality difference is. The only exception I've seen even close was guys that formed a massive coop or owned a giant piece of land BUT those are just one-off examples where they can insulate themselves from regulation problems. Over-all, it's incredible the difference that magic line makes, can't put it into words how vast it is. Wake up MO.... And heck.... Wake up IOWA so we don't put regs in place to follow places like MO - they are the ones that need to follow a system like ours that works, has immense quality and opportunity. It's funny how many guys I know in Northern MO (like within 10-15 miles of border) that put in for Iowa Points. i personally don't know anyone of my buddies that goes to MO to hunt unless they tag out here.

I have no trouble believing that ^^, it's just that I have personally spent more time in northern MO and I can't think of an area anywhere that could change so much, so fast if they didn't allow rifles/guns during the rut.

Two states would be real standouts if they moved gun season to December...besides Iowa....(Wisconsin and Missouri) Both have so many counties of good whitetail habitat.

Illinois would probably be darn good too.

The biggest reason I WISH this would happen, well a few...
A ton of my buddies would have ridiculous, incredible hunting where it's currently a JOKE. It would take a LOT OF PRESSURE OFF IOWA!!!! Man, we are the target for the best management and quality of the country and for some "odd reason" it looks "exactly the same" across the borders/lines from us but the only thing that changes is the regulations (also why we need to defend them!!!!) & timing of seasons. If the southern half of MN & MI could do a Dec 1 gun season and MO does a Dec 1 gun season - OMG, I believe opportunity for EVERYONE hunting those states, no matter what they wanted to shoot, would sky rocket and be incredible. I think N Missouri would end up blowing Iowa out of the water simply because they have so much more habitat in that state VS Iowa.
I also see how fast a state can go downhill, 5-6 years of hunting Illinois and I wouldn't go back there NOW if you gave me a free tag - all due to the Polititicians, special interests, reg changes (say like when I started, I had to apply for tag & didn't get one sometimes - now it's a guarantee I think?), etc. It was insane how fast hunting the same areas (Schuyler & Fulton co, IL) went from "amazing" to "garbage, I ain't going back, no way". Keep Iowa, IOWA.

Top Bottom