Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To Whisker Biscuit, or not?

shadowpeople

So, I've had a whisker biscuit in the past, and am now currently shooting a QAD drop away. I have nothing bad to say about the drop away, and I believe I've only had it not drop as it was supposed to once in the 3-4 years I've had it. I've seen tests and accuracy results of a whisker biscuit shooting at long range, and I don't feel it is an issue. It's a much simpler setup, with full containment. If I can get as good of accuracy out of a whisker biscuit vs. my drop away, what is the disadvantage?

I guess I'm just looking to simplify my setup, and get away from moving parts etc... I'm a little concerned about things that could go wrong on an elk hunt in the back country and I am looking to eliminate any possibilities for mechanical failure. I currently shoot helical blazer vanes on my bow and I know a whisker biscuit needs a straight fletch or slight offset, so that's one thing I would need to change.

Looking for your experiences with a whisker biscuit and the pros vs. cons.

I've used a whisker biscuit for about 10 years now. Never had a problem. Like you mentioned, simple is better in my opinion.

So, I've had a whisker biscuit in the past, and am now currently shooting a QAD drop away. I have nothing bad to say about the drop away, and I believe I've only had it not drop as it was supposed to once in the 3-4 years I've had it. I've seen tests and accuracy results of a whisker biscuit shooting at long range, and I don't feel it is an issue. It's a much simpler setup, with full containment. If I can get as good of accuracy out of a whisker biscuit vs. my drop away, what is the disadvantage?

I guess I'm just looking to simplify my setup, and get away from moving parts etc... I'm a little concerned about things that could go wrong on an elk hunt in the back country and I am looking to eliminate any possibilities for mechanical failure. I currently shoot helical blazer vanes on my bow and I know a whisker biscuit needs a straight fletch or slight offset, so that's one thing I would need to change.

Looking for your experiences with a whisker biscuit and the pros vs. cons.

QAD drop away is the best rest on the market in my opinion. This is the first I have heard anyone say anything bad about them. You don't really say why you don't like it.

I find that arrows with broadheads tune a lot better with the helical so that is something I personally would never give up.

Good luck.

QAD drop away is the best rest on the market in my opinion. This is the first I have heard anyone say anything bad about them. You don't really say why you don't like it.

I find that arrows with broadheads tune a lot better with the helical so that is something I personally would never give up.

Good luck.

You clearly didn't read my post, or the quote of my post that you put in your reply. I never said I don't like it, it works great! In fact I don't have anything bad to say about it as I stated before. If I would say there is one thing about it that I am considering, is that it is a moving mechanical component of my bow which COULD fail, and if a whisker biscuit can provide the same results with a simpler solution, what is the disadvantage to a whisker biscuit?

I agree with your second point for the most part, and is one of the things I'm taking heavily into consideration.

I am in the same situation. Looking to upgrade bows and love the idea of the simplicity of the WB. Might get a little more lateral travel through a WB but I can't imagine is too much to be concerned with. The sure shot pro looks to be the ticket, and is the best for TRUE full containment

You clearly didn't read my post, or the quote of my post that you put in your reply. I never said I don't like it, it works great! In fact I don't have anything bad to say about it as I stated before. If I would say there is one thing about it that I am considering, is that it is a moving mechanical component of my bow which COULD fail, and if a whisker biscuit can provide the same results with a simpler solution, what is the disadvantage to a whisker biscuit?

I agree with your second point for the most part, and is one of the things I'm taking heavily into consideration.

ooops. Note to self. Don't read IW before morning coffee. :)

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I have never heard of a QAD not dropping.

I use a trophy taker and love it, had 2/qad fall aways and got rid of them as they were prone to not always working properly. It only takes once! If I was to switch I would go back to the wb for sure. Just make sure you replace the disc before it gets to soft IMO.

I've had a WB for about as long as they've been out. Never had an issue with it. I've read up on tests with distance shooting between the WB's and dropaways and there difference is practically non existent. I'm a big fan of keep it simple with no moving parts.

I like the wb idea for back country but I got sucked in by qad also and ditched the wb years ago. My accuracy is about the same as far as I can tell. Everything "technical" would say that fall away is better, but if your within 2 inches of where you're aiming on an animal (excluding toads) you'll be ok.

I used a WB for years for that very reason. Fail proof. Switched to a QAD two years ago and love it. I think if it affects your confidence to have moving parts, then there is nothing wrong with going back. Even if just for your elk hunt. Especially on back country hunts. Eliminating potential problems has to be a top priority.

Never used a fall away, so can't compare. But I can say that I've never had an issue with my WB. Probably time to replace, but just due to normal wear.

I had a qad rest fail on a mammoth and tossed it. Got a trophy taker and don't even consider i might have an issue - but I suppose I could. Don't know much on wb but if it simplifies things for u & doesn't cause other issues - nothing wrong with that.

I shot a WB for multiple years and never had any issues with it until I switched to Easton FMJ arrows. I just wasn't getting the groups out of it that I was looking for. Even with the smallest diameter WB offers there is still a lot of room for movement with the small diameter arrow shafts. I switched to a QAD ultra rest and have been really happy with it. An unforeseen benefit (and it may be my imagination) is that my bow is much quieter with the ultra rest.

Limbdriver pro v... Throwing my qad away and putting the pro v in this week.

That's what I had on my old bow. Loved it. Need to replace my current limbdriver with a pro-v on my newest bow. I had a WB quite awhile ago and thought it was loud on those dead calm mornings. I also had a trophy taker drop away and the spring broke once.

Had a WB till I drew on a doe on a really cold, calm day. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard and turned her inside out. Switched to a contained trophy taker the following season.

I will never switch back from a QAD! I had one serious problem with the thumb lever over rotating and was causing fletching contact. Took to my local shop and he confirmed the issue and QAD had a brand new rest in the mail the next day.

Lemme ask you guys an opinion on my QAD experience.... No idea honestly.... When it got below about 25 degrees, it would either not go down OR it would go down super slow. When it messed up on a mammoth buck is the 1st I noticed it, 1st cold day of the year, about 20 degrees. Rest did not go down and wouldn't. Missed by a mile. The rest was brand new and didn't get knocked around at any point. Archery shop inspected it and couldn't figure it out. Couldn't find moisture in it and when it got to normal temps it worked fine. I was so ticked (which i understand any products can have issues) I put the trophy taker on and through the QAD away, didn't send it back or anything. It still had a better fate than one of my Cuddebroke cameras I put in the campfire BTW. I love my Trophy Taker rest and almost seems so much more simpler and bullet proof that I never thought of changing. Don't know what happened with my QAD (why I mention it, no idea) but not chancing it again especially with how well I like my trophy taker.

Started with a bisquit. Switched to a QAD for better long range accuracy, which I feel I achieved. Eventually had the QAD lock up on me on a 170, so I switched back to the bisquit. I have been happy with it overall in all the years I have shot it. The accuracy loss is small IMO, but for some guys any loss of accuracy is to much.

IMO, during real hunting conditions the WB is basically a wash with accuracy inside 40, so the better containment and lack of potential for mechanical failure is advantageous .

With all that said, I once had my WB snap in half on a late December hunt when it was -15 out and plastic couldn't take the cold. I did end up being able to hold it in place with a modified grip and kill the doe but it was wild. That was an early version WB so the material may be different now.

Throw those QADS my way. Used them for years and never had a problem. Best rests I have ever owned. Shot a buck -13 below no problem.

Top Bottom