Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Handheld GPS

spydrshot

Just wonder how many of you use GPS units for hunting. I was thinking of getting one to help keep track of stand locations. Looked online at Garmins, but was hoping to get some info on models. What options are worth it? Which ones aren't necessary? Would like to make printed maps to give to wife letting her know which stand I'm going to be at. Think I can do that with Basecamp. Also looking at using it with family to do some geocaching, to help sell the idea to the wife. Any help would be much appreciated.

I just upgraded to a Garmin eTrex 20, as some western states sell microSD "plat map" cards so that you know when you go from public to private.

There are GPS apps for many smart phones, you might want to research those.

I use several apps for my phone that work well. Motion X is one of them. When I hunt somewhere that I can't just describe to her I just screen shot the map with the coordinates and email to her or print it if I have hung a set there or scouted it ahead of time.

Last edited:
I have a Garmin Oregon 450 that I've used in Colorado and Wyoming along with the sd cards showing land status. Very valuable tool when hunting public land out west. I've only used the base camp program a few times. I don't use the gps in Iowa but have been thinking about picking up the Iowa sd card. I think it would be idea for hunting larger parcels of public ground. Geocaching would be fun and something the family could do together outside.

I use a Garmin 450T that Ive had for a few years and I love it. I still look at aerial photos on my phone while Im out in the timber on occasion, but generally the GPS has way better signal strength. I also use Google Earth and Basecamp together to make routes, get a "big picture" view after scouting, and I really love marking public land boundaries, especially for out-of-state hunts.

The Oregon is very user friendly; buttons are large, waypoints are easy to mark, manage, rename, etc. The unit does everything you could want, but doesnt have a ton of stuff I cant see ever using like some of the newer units.

I have a Garmin Dakota 20. It worked flawlessly in WY with the hunting plat chip for public land. I wouldn't hunt a western state without one

Have used one (Garmin) out west a few times and they are great. Anyone that can download the state maps would be my pick. I have never used it in Iowa though. There is a pretty limited use for it in our smaller woods. The one use above for marking stand locations for someone else to go to would be handy though. I would not spend the money for one around here, but hey if you want a new toy go for it. I have more than my fair share of toys.

I have two garmin GPS units. I just received my 2nd one this week. The first one I have is a garmin 60CX. I bought it back in 2006 and it has worked flawlessly. It still works today however it lacked features I need. The biggest two things that it lacks is it does not have an electronic compass and it does not have aerial capability.

In my opinion, an electronic compass is a must have in any gps. I started hunting an extremely large, thick track of public land where everything looks the same in the dark. You can walk through the timber a mile crossing many ridges, ravines, creeks etc that all run different directions. The problem I would run into with my old gps is it was so thick in areas I simply could not walk fast enough for it to lock on to my stand. I would also like to note a lot of these stands were marked when shed hunting the year before. I do not know the area well enough to go in blind without a gps. An electronic compass is a must for me since now I can stop and it will automatically point the way I need to go. It is a very nice feature.

The next thing is satelite imagery. Yes, I have it on my phone however I do not have service in these areas. my phone is locked into 1x where I can essentially send text, receive calls but there is no way I can get aerials to load. I have tried apps such as ONYX hunt maps and trimble outdoors where you can actually cache maps into the phone and you are supposed to be able to use them without service but they never worked reliably.

The reason why I wanted to have the aerial feature on a gps is when I am in the woods I can simply point right to a field edge or certain landpoint, make it a waypoint and come out right there. It is much easier than using a phone. I typically would use this when trying to get out of the woods when tracking or hauling out a deer. A lot of times you will get to following blood and not really pay attention where you are. Again this is a mammoth piece of public that I am not too familiar with.

The last part you will want is 1:24K topo maps. I have the 1:100K topo maps on my 60cx and they do not offer much detail. With that said, I would avoid units with a T on the end. You will pay more for them up front and you will end up getting the 24K topo maps anyways which will cost $60-$100 so you mines well save that up front by buying an S model.

The new gps I bought is the Garmin 62S. Normally they are $349.99 but if you watch enough they will eventually pop up for $199.99. I loaded aerials for all the places I hunt on it and they are of high quality. I also will be loading the 24K topo on it soon. I stayed away from touchscreen as there were a couple items I did not like about them. Mainly if they get wet they don't really work just like your phone. I have found my way to my stand many times in a rain storm. Also since they don't have buttons you can't wear light gloves with them. I believe the 62S or 64S model is better suited for a hunter myself.

Overall, I really like the 62S. The electronic compass is dead on, the satelite aerials are great and it mirrors my old gps. The satelite acquisition is much faster than my old unit and will lock on in my basement. It is a great unit.

In a nutshell, get one with an electronic compass, satelite imagery capability and 24K topo. You will be set.

"and will lock on in my basement." Wow that's awesome and worth it right there! I am sure heavy canopy and tight valleys would be no problem then.

"and will lock on in my basement." Wow that's awesome and worth it right there! I am sure heavy canopy and tight valleys would be no problem then.

The signal on my 450T impresses the heck out of me! I can get it to lock on wherever I am, and the signal strength is usually very good.

Yes, I to use my iPhone to view maps and send my location. Nice tip on the touch screen, I too get tired of removing my gloves for my phone. I like the idea of the electronic compass for exit. Not sure what is up with my biological compass but I keep veering to the left in the dark. I have been scouting several public areas and marking potential stand locations on a sheet of paper isn't working the greatest. Thought having a GPS that I could mark waypoints with then making notes later would be better. They are a little spendy, that's why I thought if I got the wife to buy into the idea of geocaching would get her on board. Thinking of making a trip to Cabelas or Bass Pro and getting input also, just thought I'd get some from all of you who have actually used them. Thanks for the help.

Can anyone recommend one for trapping? When I'm running over 100 sets one of my biggest fears is forgetting one. Another guy was trapping some of the same land as me this year and he forgot several. It was ugly to say the least.

I've got a Garmin 60 CSX handheld. I primarily bought it for geocaching. But I have used it a number of times marking shed hunting locations. If I am in city parks in the fall and I see really nice buck signs like scraps or huge rubs I mark the location with my GPS and assign a name to it and in the spring I know exactly where that spot was and go back and shed hun that area. i've managed to find a couple sheds that way. Durring volleyball tournamants my daughter was in I would go out geocahing bewtween games a lot of times. Its kept me from getting lost a few times. When I was a long ways from the truck and couldn;t remember where it was I clicked back tracking screen and found my way back to my truck. Back in my younger days I did A LOT of coon hunting. I don't know how many times I got lost trying to find the truck again especially when a lot of times it got foggy. Haveing my GPS back then would have worked perfect. I would highly recomend using one for trap loactions! My boss uses his to find spots on lakes where he had good fishing. If he has a lot of success in one spiot in the middle of no where he marks that spot with his GPS and he knows exactly where it at when he comes back out that way again.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS that my dad gave me. It has 4 Iraq maps on it. It does show the US but no detail at all. How do I get those Iraq maps out of it?

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CS that my dad gave me. It has 4 Iraq maps on it. It does show the US but no detail at all. How do I get those Iraq maps out of it?

If the maps are on the micro sd card just pull the card and they will be gone. If they were downloaded internally then I believe you have to delete them from the garmin program basecamp which is a free download. Basically download program, hook up gps to computer, highlight map and delete it.

Top Bottom