Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lease rate

I have spent time in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Its like stepping back in time a bit because its laid back and not so uptight and driven by money. Great place. The older generation landowner here is more that way,65+ its a dying way of life. Not sure why there is such a huge push to get more people hunting, not that I am against more people. I just dont think there is a shortage. Maybe my sons and daughter will have it easier.

The only people who benefit from more people hunting is the hunting industry. The sport itself will live on regardless, there will always be enough people interested to keep it alive... The hunting industry will however decide what kind of people will be able to afford to actually do it, but lets hope thats a LONG ways off.

I've found many folks just want someone to talk to and take an interest in them. I sat for a couple hours last year with one couple the first time I walked their farm looking for sheds just talking about how things have changed for them in life. Felt bad being a muddy mess in the nice old parlor chairs. Kind of sad thinking that that may have been the highlight of their week. Was good for me and them both. Didn't even ask to hunt though I am sure they would say go for it. Hope it never gets to where those meetings are not a reality...

It costs money to own land. I would never personally lease because I'd rather spend it on out of state hunts. But, like its been said already- some just want something for nothing. In this case its access for hunting. My in laws own a couple hundred acres in NE I A and no longer grant free permission due to slob hunters. I don't think asking for something in return to granting access is unreasonable. And, that something doesn't have to be $

What does this even mean?! Can't beat em so flood the markets and join em??? This is the exact mentality and reason why we are in this ridiculous situation. What ever happened to gaining permission from a friendly hand shake and a simple thank you ma'am/sir? After a season has come and gone, a simple thanks followed by a fresh bag of morels, maybe a thank you gift card for the farmer and his wife to have a dinner date? What ever happened to here's my phone number give me a call when you wanna cut some of those trees down, clean up that fence row? What ever happened to, sure I'd love to help you a couple days during harvest?

I've never leased but I can understand why some guys do it. I've worked my tail off to hunt on both family and non family ground. But throw in a wife, kids, demanding job and a long commute to get away from the city and some guys simply have more money than time.

I got access to property years back and I told the guy to call me whenever he needed a hand. Well he did... Building fence, baling, habitat work, mowing, equipment maintenance... You name it and I did it. I never kept track, but I put in well over 50+ hours throughout the year helping the guy out here and there. I would have almost been money ahead leasing at that point.

I get a kick out of the hunters who say they will bring morels or deer meat to the landowner for permission. Just where did these items come from in the first place? If you are getting permission solely for that reason; you had better start looking for new farms to hunt. Those landowners aren't going to be around much longer!

I lease 80 acres from the neighbor for 200 bucks just to keep people out! I've never hunted the property.

Last edited:
I get a kick out of the hunters who say they will bring morels or deer meat to the landowner for permission. Just where did these items come from in the first place? If you are getting permission solely for that reason; you had better start looking for new farms to hunt. Those landowners aren't going to be around much longer!

^^^^^ :confused::confused::confused:

I get a kick out of the IQ levels or lack there of, of some of the members on this site!!!

Why exactly isnt it fair or OK to provide deer meat processed or otherwise, or shrooms to a landowner that either can't physically do that for themselves? Or maybe they dont have time? Or they dont want to because you provide it? Or maybe they are kind and want to share, or they dont want some creep trying to sue them for what they have because they tripped and got hurt? Not everyone is in it for something. Some people are nice. I offer all the time to one land owner and he wants nothing. He enjoys letting people use the resource. Its OK for guy from the city with a high paying job to pay to hunt because he doesn't want the headache of owning? But the landowner that doesn't want to hunt but wants some meat or other resource without going out and getting it is a fool? We let people coyote hunt all the time who are carefull for nothing. Is that different? Should it be? Ultimately I doubt leasing is good for deer hunting overall.

Why exactly isnt it fair or OK to provide deer meat processed or otherwise, or shrooms to a landowner that either can't physically do that for themselves? Or maybe they dont have time? Or they dont want to because you provide it? Or maybe they are kind and want to share, or they dont want some creep trying to sue them for what they have because they tripped and got hurt? Not everyone is in it for something. Some people are nice. I offer all the time to one land owner and he wants nothing. He enjoys letting people use the resource. Its OK for guy from the city with a high paying job to pay to hunt because he doesn't want the headache of owning? But the landowner that doesn't want to hunt but wants some meat or other resource without going out and getting it is a fool? We let people coyote hunt all the time who are carefull for nothing. Is that different? Should it be? Ultimately I doubt leasing is good for deer hunting overall.

I wonder how many of these landowners who are so willing to lease for large amounts of money, also force their tenants to provide and show proof of insurance. Or better yet, how many of these guys who lease land are claiming this lease money as a form of income? I mean we all know farmers taxes are insanely difficult to manage, I'm sure an extra significant form of income coming in, in the form of a payment of 20k would be super hard to hide or pencil in anywhere in that end of the year financial statement :rolleyes:

OCT you might as well give in and lease. It's apparent all the cool guys are doing it. God for bid the neighbor killed MY 170 I watched all summer in the beans on my farm. God for bid the neighbor's kid picked up that 65" antler of Hightowers, I named him and watched him grow, that antlers is MINE.

I'm all for getting permission any way possible. Lease or friendly handshake. Just dont see why paying in dollars is shameful. After reading your post history boner, you are the reason I prefer to lease and not deal with snot nose kids. Post again in 20yrs when you have alittle more experience in life. Until then may we never hunt the same ground. Amen

I'm all for getting permission any way possible. Lease or friendly handshake. Just dont see why paying in dollars is shameful. After reading your post history boner, you are the reason I prefer to lease and not deal with snot nose kids. Post again in 20yrs when you have alittle more experience in life. Until then may we never hunt the same ground. Amen

Boner?!? It's spelled with two O's. But I wouldn't expect much education from a used car salesman. And for the record hot rod, I'm 25 and probably have accomplished more in regards to the outdoors than you will in a lifetime, all on free non leased lands

Last edited:
I wonder how many of these landowners who are so willing to lease for large amounts of money, also force their tenants to provide and show proof of insurance. Or better yet, how many of these guys who lease land are claiming this lease money as a form of income? I mean we all know farmers taxes are insanely difficult to manage, I'm sure an extra significant form of income coming in, in the form of a payment of 20k would be super hard to hide or pencil in anywhere in that end of the year financial statement :rolleyes: OCT you might as well give in and lease. It's apparent all the cool guys are doing it. God for bid the neighbor killed MY 170 I watched all summer in the beans on my farm. God for bid the neighbor's kid picked up that 65" antler of Hightowers, I named him and watched him grow, that antlers is MINE.

Companies like Basecampleasing provide the insurance, and LO gets a W2 to show the income

Companies like Basecampleasing provide the insurance, and LO gets a W2 to show the income

Interesting stuff, I honestly wouldn't know where to begin with the legality behind doing it the right way! Realistically though how many guys are actually using this and abiding by this?! Excluding the big wigs of course (guiding services, outfitters, etc). The guys I know who personally lease definitely are not.

Boner?!? It's spelled with two N's. But I wouldn't expect much education from a used car salesman. And for the record hot rod, I'm 25 and probably have accomplished more in regards to the outdoors than you will in a lifetime, all on free non leased lands

What's spelt with two Ns?

^^^^^ :confused::confused::confused:

I get a kick out of the IQ levels or lack there of, of some of the members on this site!!!

25 yrs old and got it all figured out. I along with many others have owned land longer than you've been alive! There has been a great deal of change in deer hunting in the last 25 yrs. and there will be a great deal more in the next 25 yrs. May you always know a landowner who puts you above his own family, friends, and money. Then you can hope he lives to be 100 yrs. old!

Booner has got it all figured out. He met somebody that leases their ground out so he's an expert on leasing state wide. He met a farmer once so he knows the ins and out of their financial condition industry wide. Check your ego. You're a bright guy I'm sure, but the smartest guys don't have to tell everybody how much they know. Leasing isn't for everybody, if you don't like it, don't do it. No need to attack those that choose to do it. I've done both and would prefer leasing over hunting pressured farms with multiple people hunting. Been successful on both, but my goals were different. I would shoot 4 year olds on the non leased ground. We wouldn't on the leased ground. Success is measured by the individual striving for it. Strive for your own and leave everybody else's up to them.

Booner has got it all figured out. He met somebody that leases their ground out so he's an expert on leasing state wide. He met a farmer once so he knows the ins and out of their financial condition industry wide. Check your ego. You're a bright guy I'm sure, but the smartest guys don't have to tell everybody how much they know. Leasing isn't for everybody, if you don't like it, don't do it. No need to attack those that choose to do it. I've done both and would prefer leasing over hunting pressured farms with multiple people hunting. Been successful on both, but my goals were different. I would shoot 4 year olds on the non leased ground. We wouldn't on the leased ground. Success is measured by the individual striving for it. Strive for your own and leave everybody else's up to them.

Couldn't agree more. I guess some guys use up all their respect and charm to gain hunting access to farms. I for one get sick of guys high jacking a thread and arguing tooth and nail over why everybody else is wrong and they're right.

Top Bottom