Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Peroxide Solution

Gus

I know there was a thread about this back in the fall but for the life of me I cannot dig it up. I believe there was even a link with in the thread of a good peroxide solution for whitening skulls. I have a couple skull mounts that are clean but still need to be whitened. If anyone has this recipe or link to the recipe it would be greatly appreciated if they shared it.

Thanks.

Yup 40 volume and basic white is what i also use. I get mine from Matuskas. It comes with an instruction sheet they send too if you need it.

Be sure to put the paste all over the skull, then cover it with saran wrap to keep it from drying out and put it in front of a space heater (rotating every 15-20 minutes) for about an hour. Heat is crucial! That's what activates the product.

Another one that works really well is Baquacil swimming pool oxidizer. It can be purchased from pool supply retailers. It is 27% active peroxide. (40 volume peroxide is only a little over 12% peroxide.) Just paint it on and let it sit in a warm area. Usually only take a couple of coats to get a skull plenty white and lots less messy than mixing & applying paste. Wear gloves though. It is hot stuff & will sting your skin.

Also helps if you boil them in dish soap and some soda before the peroxide. I did this to help get grissle off. Skull really got white.

Thanks guys. I ve had these mounts laying around for a couple of years and need to get them whitened and hung up.

Another one that works really well is Baquacil swimming pool oxidizer. It can be purchased from pool supply retailers. It is 27% active peroxide. (40 volume peroxide is only a little over 12% peroxide.) Just paint it on and let it sit in a warm area. Usually only take a couple of coats to get a skull plenty white and lots less messy than mixing & applying paste. Wear gloves though. It is hot stuff & will sting your skin.

This is exactly what we use, works great! And it will sting your skin, done it many times. :eek:

Magnesium Carbonate mixed with hydrogen peroxide works well. It can be bought at Van Dykes taxidermy supply. You mix the two together to form a paste, then paint it on the skull. When it dries leave it out in the sun for a few days then rinse it off.

Top Bottom