Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transplanting Cedars video

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Took a little video of me transplanting some cedars the other day, thought I'd share. It's so easy to pop these things out and move them around. Are others cleaning the roots off after they pop them out or leaving the dirt and grass roots around the cedar roots? I debated which to do and decided to clean the roots off for two reasons; it makes it easier to transport many more cedars without the extra weight of the dirt and doesn't leave a hole in our pasture.

Not saying this is the perfect way to do it or the only way, but this gives you an idea how one person has done it. :)

Transplanting Cedars video

Just went and moved about 25 small ones out of the CRP before I burn it next week. I created a nice little screen (eventually) You inspired me! :) Thanks.

Cool! That's the goal, it's so easy to do.

I think DoneRight made a good point in the Tree Planting thread. On those larger trees its probably safer to keep the root ball intact, leave the dirt and all on it. I think I'm going to do that going forward the rest of this spring and then over the summer I'll let you guys know how the survival was comparing each method of planting!

I moved 28 this last weekend and I left the dirt/mud on all of them. My theory was that the roots drying out is what kills a tree so I figured leaving the ball would put less stress on the tree. I am also going to be tilling up this field for food plot so the holes didn't really matter.

The ones I move from sandy soil usually don't have dirt on the roots but the others I leave the soil and think they are easier to keep alive.makes a lot of difference digging them with my razor back shovel,now if we could get some rain

Top Bottom