Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hexagon Blind Build

I like the window at top for the 7' guy hunting there and the little window at bottom for the midget hunting with you.

It will have a tin roof on it.

3 windows will be 24" high x12" wide", and two will be 36" high x 12" wide.

I can stand straight up in it @ 6'9". I guess I'm not quite following you on the ceiling height, and now I'm concerned I overlooked something.
Something you might want to consider is to have some type of barrier between you and the metal roof. I assume you'll use a heater for the cold days and there's a good chance you'll have some condensation from the heater and your body heat. You could use a piece of plywood, then attach the metal to it to protect the roof. I shingled mine just because I had the shingles laying around and I think it helps to muffle the sound.

Does $700 include your 10'platform? If so what are you building it out of ?

Yes...nothing too fancy...treated 2 x 6s for the floor, treated 4x4s for the legs and treated 2x4s for the bracing. What yo see in the pictures and 3/8" plywood walls and tin roof. Going to prime and paint the outside.

Love my redneck, with that being said, shadow hunters are bad*ss. One thing to think about....When temps warm in the am the Flys come out, with one of these two blinds you no longer have to worry about mice or flies, not to mention their warranty covers several years. For me time = $. Best of luck and as always safe hunting!

Love my redneck, with that being said, shadow hunters are bad*ss. One thing to think about....When temps warm in the am the Flys come out, with one of these two blinds you no longer have to worry about mice or flies, not to mention their warranty covers several years. For me time = $. Best of luck and as always safe hunting!

I agree the commercial blinds are nice. I also agree time is money. That is why I'm using my spare time to save money, my 7 year old son has been helping me the whole time, I feel like it is also teaching him things you cannot put a value on.

I agree the commercial blinds are nice. I also agree time is money. That is why I'm using my spare time to save money, my 7 year old son has been helping me the whole time, I feel like it is also teaching him things you cannot put a value on.
Always worth the time investment when you can do a project like this with your kids, please keep us updated on the progress.

Last edited:

Agree, i got so many things ahead of a $2500 deer blind on my priority list. Sittin in that blind with your kid will be that much more rewarding.

Building a blind yourself is great... I built a haybale blind this year, but oddly have yet to sit in it although deer are always around it... my bro in law is a big money guy, and since its not name brand, doesnt look at it...

Starting to come together....

11-20141225_200932_resized.jpg

11-20141225_200917_resized.jpg

11-20141225_200843_resized.jpg

Well.....got busy this spring at work and been procrastinating on this project....but the wife has been on me this week to get it out of our garage....nearly complete...just a little more paint, put down the carpet, then elevate it.

11-20150404_194644_resized.jpg

11-20150405_065052-1_resized.jpg

11-20150405_065042_resized.jpg

The blind looks great, I built one a few years ago. I am currently building another one, the biggest issue with my first one was I could not move it.
Also sitting out in the sun year around it is hard on the blind even with all the little extras I did.
This one will be on a trailer frame from an old camper I had to demo off.

I am hoping the portability will help, plus if I want to cover it up during the off season I can.
I am not sure if I would do another on on a non-portable platform.

The blind looks great, I built one a few years ago. I am currently building another one, the biggest issue with my first one was I could not move it.
Also sitting out in the sun year around it is hard on the blind even with all the little extras I did.
This one will be on a trailer frame from an old camper I had to demo off.

I am hoping the portability will help, plus if I want to cover it up during the off season I can.
I am not sure if I would do another on on a non-portable platform.

This will be semi portable....with tractor/loader with long pallet forks.

I spent alot of time filling nails holes cracks seams with Vulkem 116 (anything on exterior)put two coats of sealing primer....and working on a 3rd coat of premium exterior paint.

This will be semi portable....with tractor/loader with long pallet forks.

I spent alot of time filling nails holes cracks seams with Vulkem 116 (anything on exterior)put two coats of sealing primer....and working on a 3rd coat of premium exterior paint.

Sounds like you got a very good plan, Vulkem is the only way to go. I have decided to do metal on the outside of my new blind.

Looks great! I have built 3,own one lick creek blind, and 2 redneck blinds. Have always thought about building another really nice one but boy I sure like my redneck blinds! Pricey but sweet!

Top Bottom