Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CW Journal

Take a trip out of state man...snows are my favorite bird to chase the most fun and frustrating bird I've ever hunted! I've been fortunate enough to kill thousands of those Wiley birds...keep after em and you'll get your trophy!

Take a trip out of state man...snows are my favorite bird to chase the most fun and frustrating bird I've ever hunted! I've been fortunate enough to kill thousands of those Wiley birds...keep after em and you'll get your trophy!

I'll keep big game for my out of state hunts. Not a huge snow goose hunter as it is just would like too get a few a year. It is fun. Hoping to get out with my old waterfowl buddies who do the big snow goose hunts. Love waterfowl just grew up in the wrong state. One day I'll make it up to the Dakotas and Canada

I'll keep big game for my out of state hunts. Not a huge snow goose hunter as it is just would like too get a few a year. It is fun. Hoping to get out with my old waterfowl buddies who do the big snow goose hunts. Love waterfowl just grew up in the wrong state. One day I'll make it up to the Dakotas and Canada

One time seeing what an actual snow goose hunts all about and you'd be hooked. It's a blast that's for sure. Just not enough hours in the day and days in the year to do it all. I think everyone should at least get to experience it once. Having a migrating flock actually finish in the spread is absolutely insane to witness; sky high one moment in within seconds the shoots open and there paddles down in the hole.......nothing more spectacular to witness in my opinion.

One time seeing what an actual snow goose hunts all about and you'd be hooked. It's a blast that's for sure. Just not enough hours in the day and days in the year to do it all. I think everyone should at least get to experience it once. Having a migrating flock actually finish in the spread is absolutely insane to witness; sky high one moment in within seconds the shoots open and there paddles down in the hole.......nothing more spectacular to witness in my opinion.

Never had an interest in goose hunting til now- you just sold me

I will be looking into this for next year- almost all the places I hunt will be corn next year- isn't that what you want- picked corn fields?

Booner I've experienced it just with out a gun. We used to go to southern Iowa and have the huge spread of decoys when I was younger. It's pretty amazing especially how fast they drop, too bad that was around 14 years ago though. I do miss waterfowling as much as I used to as it was the only hunting I did until 4 years ago, but my dad stopped going so it wasn't really the same. I really miss the 3:00 am drives to the fields to set up decoys and layout blinds or wading out to set decoys in the marsh.

Man just thinking about it has me wanting to go back to just waterfowl. Going to have to try to get out more this fall that's for sure.

Last edited:
Never had an interest in goose hunting til now- you just sold me

I will be looking into this for next year- almost all the places I hunt will be corn next year- isn't that what you want- picked corn fields?

http://www.highviewoutfitting.com/

http://www.centralprairieoutfitters.com/

Look these fella's up. Good buddies of mine. Not feasible to just decide one day you want to waterfowl hunt let alone snow goose hunt. They have some good rates and hunt just south into Missouri and Nebraska. Cooper with Central Prairie will run a bit more but he's running couple spreads for snows. Central Prairie also offers fall hunts as well, for a good price they'll put you on some birds too.

Last edited:
I just got permission on a field where around 159 snows have been feeding at night. Going to set up around 100 decoys here after class. Hope to have pictures and maybe videos to share tonight!

http://www.highviewoutfitting.com/

http://www.centralprairieoutfitters.com/

Look these fella's up. Good buddies of mine. Not feasible to just decide one day you want to waterfowl hunt let alone snow goose hunt. They have some good rates and hunt just south into Missouri and Nebraska. Cooper with Central Prairie will run a bit more but he's running couple spreads for snows. Central Prairie also offers fall hunts as well, for a good price they'll put you on some birds too.

Thanks for the info! I definately do not think I can just get out there and hunt them- I have a few buddies down in the creston area that are huge duck and goose hunters and they have a ton of decoys- trained dogs and know what calls to use- etc. I would just be along for the ride while they did their thing as a am 100% unknowledgable on waterfowl. Something I will definately look into doing next year with them!

Tonight turned out better than any one of us would have guessed as there was no wind. When I drove by on my way home there was half as many snows as there was this morning sitting on the water but we still decided to hunt, as I knew they had been using the field all week. My brother and I got to the field first and set up and brushed in the blinds. Our friend who we used to hunt with showed up about 30 minutes later and we began setting up the rags and flyers. We finally finished with about 10 dozen. First flock got up about an hour later that contained about half the geese that were sitting. We ended up getting 5. I shot my first snow goose (juvenile), my brother shot his first blue, and Chris shot 3 blues. Later a flock of four Ross's came in and we dropped 2 of them. Then the specks landed farther out in the field which brought the snows with them. Everything stopped so I went out and jumped them up and managed to get a mature snow out of the deal. End of the hunt pic

My brother and me with the birds, first time field hunting in 9 years.

Last edited:
Yesterday I started working out an area I plan on putting in a small poor mans plot in just to try to get the deer to stick around a little more. Started by raking away all of last years grass and leaves. Will go down and spray with in the next week and take away a bit more.

Few pics:

This morning I went on my first ever turkey hunt. I went out with my little brother in some public land, we got there around 5:00. And right away heard a turkey gobble so we continued into the area I planned on going and o used my goose call to locate a bird, had around 5 light up so we set up in an area we thought would be good but ended up not seeing a thing. We got some info though that should put us in the middle of the action tomorrow morning.

Good luck Curtis! Just remember to set up close and call sparingly. A few soft yelps and purrs just before and after fly down is usually plenty to get them headed to you as soon as they hit the ground. Hammer on em too hard too often and you may be in for the all day waiting game. Hope to see some harvest pics!

Good luck Curtis! Just remember to set up close and call sparingly. A few soft yelps and purrs just before and after fly down is usually plenty to get them headed to you as soon as they hit the ground. Hammer on em too hard too often and you may be in for the all day waiting game. Hope to see some harvest pics!
Thanks had a Tom hang up at 75 yards with 9 hens and a jake. Ended up seeing 23 turkey total.

After sitting from 5:30-10:45 and 2:30-dark. I saw two toms, the one I was after came out multiple times but had no interest in leaving the hens. 1 jake, and 28 hens. I will kill that stupid Tom tomorrow

Last edited:
As I continue to strike out in public land, I will finally be headed south to my grandparents farm to hunt, hopefully their turkey are a little stupider.

Unless you have something to do, I wouldn't miss the 11am-2pm shift. Almost every tom I've taken has been in this window. Might just be my farm...idk

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

Struck out down south looks like it's back to public land, yesterday I had a Tom come right in to my calling but couldn't seem to figure out how to cross the fence so he just sat there and gobbled for about an hour at 15 yards. Might come back down in May

Struck out down south looks like it's back to public land, yesterday I had a Tom come right in to my calling but couldn't seem to figure out how to cross the fence so he just sat there and gobbled for about an hour at 15 yards. Might come back down in May

Was it woven wire fence? I've found birds won't cross woven wire because they can't get under it. Same with really low barbed wire.

Top Bottom