Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

advice on getting new properties to hunt

Hodge

I am curious to know what has worked and what hasn't worked for some people on getting permission on new farms. I know that each case is a little different. I had a buddy show me GIS maps, which basically shows me who owns the property, when they bought, how much they paid for it, and what their taxes are. I compared the plots up with google earth and have roughly 50 or so properties printed up with the owners info. Obviously the ones who are local I can knock on their door and ask, but I was wanting some insight on sending letters to the ones who may be further away or out of state. I am looking for those key words and tricky phrases that will grant me permission.

In my honest opinion. It will take more than a letter to get permission from an out of state land owner or even one that is in state and lives aways away. At least a phone call to an out of stater. If the person is in the state phone call and then take the time to drive there and introduce yourself. It is all about relationships. Most of the people I deal with would rather you sit down over a cup of coffee in person than a phone call or a letter. There is no secret phase to get permission. You have to sell yourself and your ethics. And then stick by them.

It's been hard getting permission here in Kansas to turkey hunt. I've seen lots of NR and had to head west then back east. Sat down with a rancher and he gave me permission on over 2,000 acres. We talked for 3+ hours about everything, just gotta get to know them. I'm about to shoot a Tom here too ;)

I would be shocked if you got any response to a letter. I am sure there are already plenty asking in person so why grant it to someone without a face? And to have to take the time to respond? Seems unlikely. Also wouldn't mention where you got the info, had plenty of guys tell me they are not to pleased with the fact anyone can get that info with just a few seconds on the internet. Times are changing, used to be a platbook was a valuable asset and I was pumped to get my new one each year.

Can anyone give me a link to an online plat map for Iowa? I have looked but never find what I'm looking for.

I have always used a platbook as well. I know asking face to face would give me better odds but was curious if anyone has sent out a letter. I figured if I sent out 50 or so and got 2-3 yes then it would be worth it.

There aren't online plats, gotta go buy one for each county at the bank you'll be lucky if you can find one with land boundaries and not just the houses.

I have to say that being a NR landowner Hodge's idea is not bad. I'm lucky to have a resident neighbor who does hunt and monitors my property in exchange, but many NR landowners do not have that luxury. Hodge, crafting a letter to a NR landowner is not a bad idea because obviously the owners are many hours away. I would offer to watch the property, ask for hunting privileges around the time(s) the owners are there in exchange, maybe help put in food plots if you have that capability, promise to be the only person on the property, practice QDM, and of course live up to the agreement. Lastly, ask for a face to face when they visit the area in the future. I think you may be surprised. If I didn't have a local monitor I would consider it.

There aren't online plats, gotta go buy one for each county at the bank you'll be lucky if you can find one with land boundaries and not just the houses.

A lot of counties have online plat maps or some kind of gis website. I use them all the time.

He is probably using the county tax website. It gives names, price paid, aerial photo, plat number, etc. Not sure all counties are using it as it costs money to implement, but its a good resource.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom