Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saskatchewan Black Bear

Monsterbuck

Got back recently from a great bear hunt in Saskatchewan.

My only previous beat hunt was in Ontario in the fall of 2010. On that hunt I shot a whopper black bear weighing 450lbs with an 18 12/16 P&Y skull. On this trip I was really hoping for a color phase bear. I had decided that I would pass up black bears in hopes of seeing a color phase bear unless it was a really big black bear. My buddy who went on the hunt with me had shot a fairly small black bear on the last hunt so he really just wanted something larger.

The hunt was at Thunder Rapids Lodge near Carrot River Saskatchewan. I have to thank Doyle Kincy from Mid Iowa Archers for recommending this outfitter.

My buddy didn't wsste any time either, he shot this beautiful cinnamon bear one hour into the first days hunt!

aca199c5214f9de8b65f06351dff7b05.jpg

Believe me I was jealous. It had a gorgeous thick coat and I loved the cinnamon color. I did see plenty of bears though, they just were all black.

8f6bd23ff20e2ba32c88dd9a78c41049.jpg

So I passed on several decent bears. It was their lucky week!

7d159b4415a6890a47a9b277e5f4ffe9.jpg

It was really nice seeing so many bears though. On my first hunt I only saw two bears the entire week. One the first night and one the last, the big one I killed. On this trip I saw that many at one time!

83ebb5e0f9aeb86fa71f11bf54806412.jpg

And if that wasn't exciting enough I had one of them climb up my tree for an eye to eye look. Now that was a rush! I could have gone home happy then just having experienced that close encounter.

Here he is at the base of my ladder before climbing up the tree and checking me out from 3 feet.

8f488611b005feb8ddded001d5204091.jpg

So after huting one spot a couple of evenings the guides son said he had seen a huge track at one of the other baits so I moved to that stand. That night I had a bear come in and feed a bit then move off. Later a second bear came in from the far side of the bait. He looked very big but didn't approach the bait. He did go over to a bucket that the outfitter had hung on a tree limb about 5 1/2 feet off the ground. When he stood up and could look down into the bucket I knew this was a BIG bear.

As he turned and began walking away I drew my bow but just the slight sound was enough to send him bolting back to a safe distance where he just waited. He knew I was there and was content to wait for me to leave.

Several minutes later another bear approached from his left and after a growl and some huffing he cased the other bear off. It was obvious he wasn't going to allow any other bears near his supper.

Several more minutes passed and I heard movement to my right. Another bear was approaching. I hoped that it would come to the bait and draw the big bear in. As the sound neared the big bear came closer to the bait and stepped toward the sound facing down and scaring off the other bear.

I had a lane behind the bear and hoped he would move and give me a shot. I drew and waited and the bear turned around and took two steps and stopped in my open lane. In the blink of an eye my arrow hit with a Whack! and the bear ran off. Seconds later I heard the death moan that let me know my shot had been true.

With a sparse blood trail we decided to return the next morning in the light and found him in no time at all.

737b0e234de2a439e5e9f9b63d16a8dc.jpg

1808c924b8fd5310fed92b4d8fe6eb20.jpg

He weighed 400lbs which is really big for a spring bear. The outfitter said a bear will lose 1/3 of its body weight during hibernation and that my bear would easily weigh over 500 lbs in the fall. He measured 6 1/2 feet nose to rump and green scored 20 8/16 inches P&Y.

201a6701e57529b489d913bf9faff5b4.jpg

All in all a great hunt. Met some great people like Onetohunt from the AT forum who shot a nice color phase bear the same night I shot my bear. Also guide Gary Simon and his son Mitch who are pictured with us below.

22831fa6d9f4339f288af3817a8d84d2.jpg

And the fishing was great too. We caught plenty of northern and a few walleye too. Had a couple fish fries while there.

d7fec9db0480293d2008de2592b625c7.jpg

During the week 5 of 6 hunters got bears and three have already rebooked for next year. I'm hoping to make it back again in two or three years too.

Congrats on the P&Y bear. Great hunt for both of you. What are his fees for a bear hunt.

Very cool and beautiful bears.

The wife has requested I provide a black bear rug for the house. I guess someday I'll have to take a trip. I knew I married her for a reason! :)

Top Bottom