Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ants in my Trail Cams

Mr. Deeds

The last couple times I have opened a few of my cams, they have been FULL of ants and what appears to be larvae. Any suggestion on what I can do to keep the ants out?

Not sure that they could actually ruin the inside of the trail cams, but don't want to take the risk.

I just spray the outside of the camera. With ant spray. I only have to do it once a year and no more problems. And I have had a bushnell camera ruined by ants!

I have the same problem every year. I'm not brave enough to spray them with anything....im afraid of the smell. I usually knock the ants out and move camera to another tree.

How are they getting in? Most cams are water tight. There is the little rubber stopper in the bottom that the squirrels chew off, then I put a patch of duct tape on the inside of the cam to seal it off.

I always use ant spray every year after I give them their annual cleaning. I spray ant repellent / killer on q tip and rub the inside perimeter of gasket and inside and never had an issue since. As far as the OEM rubber stoppers go on some models I have bought rubber corks at the hardware store and installed from the inside and trimmed them flush problem solved.

How are they getting in? Most cams are water tight. There is the little rubber stopper in the bottom that the squirrels chew off, then I put a patch of duct tape on the inside of the cam to seal it off.

Agreed. If ants can get in then moisture can get in as well and that combo can't be good. I've never had any problems with mine, I just bought lock boxes for a couple though so I'm a little worried about bugs setting up camp in there.

I would think you could spray bug-stop at the base of the tree and accomplish the same thing without having to spray actual camera. I have never tried it in this application, but I can say it is highly effective on houses. Just a thought.

Almost had a heart attack a few weeks back. After clearing some nasty looking spider webs from the outside of the camera lock box, I was a little hesitant to stick my hand in to pull the camera out. As I was pulling it out about 20 giant sized black roaches ran up my arm. Let's just say that Reconyx cams can take a 4' drop and keep on ticking. I'm just glad the camera wasn't set for audio/video or there would've been evidence of my sissy girl shriek :)

I left a plug open on a cam & full of ants. One idea I had- take the permithrin u treat clothes with - dab some on cloth or paper towel and lightly wipe inside & even outside of cam. Inside - u just put light film that dries out and pry never have a bug in there ever again. Just an idea. No scent at all either. For me- if I always remember to have plug in- don't get ants though

If it's a Bushnell put a piece of electrical tape on the inside of the rubber plug on bottom of camera..

The last couple times I have opened a few of my cams, they have been FULL of ants and what appears to be larvae. Any suggestion on what I can do to keep the ants out? Not sure that they could actually ruin the inside of the trail cams, but don't want to take the risk.
I have had that problem every year until this one.....when I put them out I sprayed them with deer and even a must inside and not 1 ant so far, I have had to many cameras ruined in the past by them pests

I got ants in my Spartan remote, never see nothing like it! Storm ripped my solar panel to shreds. Oh well, it's back up and going now.

Ok, I had ants in a new Moultrie when I checked it last night, a first for me since all my other cameras seem "ant tight".

Got to thinking about spraying it with DEET, but I have seen DEET melt plastics before. Going to be REAL careful where and how I apply it if I use it.

I always put duct tape on any small areas I think an ant can get in and I haven't had a problem since I started doing that.

Those Moultree's are too easy for the ants to get into. They have been inside all of mine. I usually pull the camera, leave the card in, to keep ants out of the card slot, then put it in direct sun, with the door open, to let them all leave, on their own. Then would be a good time to treat it with something, but I usually move them somewhere else and put a Reconyx in it's place.

Ive never had ant troubles ever un 7+ yrs of running alot of cams.
I opened 2 today that were absolutely packed full of ants, cams were working perfect but i had a bottle of Permathrine in the truck that i shot them with. Ill update in 3-4 weeks as to what the outcome was.
I have 10-12 i havnt checked yet this yr and i threw a bottle of cumputer duster and ant spray in my backpack just incase. Im hoping Permathrine will keep them away from the get go

I have used both permethrin & Tempo Ultra to keep ants out of cameras. Np appreciable odor to either one & both seem to work. Could probably just spray the tree or post above & below camera if you were worried about getting it on the camera but I've had no problems applying directly. Just wipe lens & sensors clean after.

Top Bottom