Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for some Opinions

b0huntr147

The field that I hunt has a small section of crops that is relatively unattached from the rest of field and by small I'm talking 1/10th of an acre. This year it has already been planted in beans, but I was wondering what peoples recommendations would be for talking to the farmer about leaving this piece standing. Should I come right out and offer him money for the small section? What do you guys think this little section is worth?

My next year goal would be to plant the entire grass corner into some sort of food plot to help with attraction. That would give me approximately 1/4 Acre of food plot.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

If your wanting a place to hunt this year I would broadcast a winter rye mix into the beans this fall. I wouldn't offer any money to leave it there because chances are when hunting season comes around those beans will be long gone due to heavy browse. I can't open the picture but I'd guess if it's separated from the big field it gets hit pretty hard. Have to keep an eye on them though. I would recommend a rye mix this fall broadcasted into the standing beans. Then if you get permission I would do a clover plot because that can take the heavy browse those small plots get.

The above makes sense. If your hunting that corner, I'm assuming the deer activity is decent. 1/10th of an acre may not last long, depending on the population. Probably wouldn't be too much out of pocket for the standing beans if he did want something to leave them, but I would also throw in the idea of putting something else (rye) in for winter, standing beans or not. He would get a cover crop on that area and could always till in in the spring. Don't know if he hunts or eats venison, but could also offer that as payment too.

Just ask the farmer what it would take to get him to leave them. That little plot of beans will be fine. They are surrounded by row crop so won't take much pressure while green because everything around is green. After they turn brown & drop leaves, they won't likely get much pressure until it gets really cold & nasty out. Would be good to broadcast rye in amongst them when they start to drop leaves though. That way you'll have some green as a draw during nicer weather.

food plot

I would just ask farmer what it would take, leave the ball in his court as others have said. However, I my humble opinion, 1/4 acre just isn't enough. You might do ok in the very,very early season but 1/4 beans will be gone quickly. I actually think I could eat that amount in a couple good days of foraging. Seriouly as long as your asking you might as well ask for a couple 2-3 acres. something that would help later in the season also. A 1/10th of an acre next to that treeline might not even have many beans on it. Not sure that helps, but something to think about

Top Bottom