Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Point weight?

patch86

I'm getting into traditional archery after this season is finished. I've been do as much research as possible but there's one thing I'm still confused/ unsure about. What's everyone's opinion of field point/ broadhead weight? What is a common weight 125 150 or heavier?

It's really going to be dependent on a bunch of factors. Ordinarily - trad archers prefer more weight up front and heavier arrows in general.

I shoot (out of a 50# bow) a gold tip traditional 35/55 arrow - 100 gr brass inserts and a 150gr head. So I have 250gr out front. Total arrow weight is 530gr.

With my wheels I had a standard insert (17gr) and a 100gr head. So I'm about 2.5x heavier with my trad set up.

It's really going to be dependent on a bunch of factors.

X2
In my opinion, it's whatever you shoot best. I've shot recurve for a long time, 50# mostly, and have never shot anything over 150 gr. When I was shooting the 52" Kodiak Mag, I shot best with a 29" Gold Tip Traditional 35/55 carbon with a 125 gr tip. On my Ben Pearson 60" takedown, same arrow, I had better accuracy with 145 gr.

'The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook', by T.J. Conrads, p. 157; Arrow Balance:
"It has been proven through computer and field testing that an arrow is far more accurate when it is seven to ten percent nose heavy".

Take your arrow,with point installed, and balance it across your finger. Mark this spot exactly where it is perfectly balanced. This is the balance point of the arrow. Now measure the arrow from the back of the nock to the tip of the point to get the entire length of the arrow. Find the exact middle of this length and mark that point. measure the distance between these two marks to the nearest 1/8 of an inch.
Lets say total length is 29" and the difference between the 14.5" and the balance point is 2 3/4". To find out how nose heavy the arrow is, take the difference of 2 3/4" and divide it by the full length of the arrow. Here is the formula:
2 3/4 divided by 29 = 9.5%

My experience is this: You may not notice much out to 15 yards but if you want to keep'm tight out to 30 and beyond... it matters when fine tuning your equipment. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a 60# longbow this spring and I'm trying to pick up as many traditional tips as I can. Definitely a different game. I'll have to check my arrows.

Top Bottom