Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hexagon Blind Build

Looks good! Was wondering if you would be able to carry or pull it out. That would be very disappointing if you had to dismantle it to get it out!

Got it out of my garage and out to the farm, go the roof put on...just gotta cut off the extra expandable foam and paint and then elevate it.

What is everyone's opinion on how high to elevate? 8', 10'. or 12'?

_original.jpg

Got it out of my garage and out to the farm, go the roof put on...just gotta cut off the extra expandable foam and paint and then elevate it.

Depends on what the terrain is like that you are looking over and what range shot is reasonable. All of mine are 10' or less. One of my best blinds sits on a hill looking down over a food plot and it is at ground level. No reason to go higher than 10 or 12 unless you anticipate the return of center-fire rifle hunting... :D

Agreed with keeping the terrain/surroundings in mind, but also maybe shoot for something that will work in several places in case you want to move it around. What is the reach of the loader you're going to move it/lift it with? Will you be moving it with legs attached? If so, you would want to account for those and terrain between spots so they don't hang up if the loader can't get them high enough (assuming you are lifting under the base of the blind).

FWIW, we built a blind much like this about 5 years ago and never did elevate it and it really hasn't been a deterrent to the many deer and turkey that have been shot out of it. If I were to elevate a blind like this, I would only go about 8'-10' up and then be sure that it is windproof, etc.

_original.jpg
I have mine setting on 8' post, but it's pretty flat. If this sets out in the open, I would consider adding some braces to the roof because a high wind will peel that roof off. Also fold your tin over the edge and screw it to the roof to help it stay on better and also protect the edges of the wood.

Last edited:
I have mine setting on 8' post, but it's pretty flat. If this sets out in the open, I would consider adding some braces to the roof because a high wind will peel that roof off. Also fold your tin over the edge and screw it to the roof to help it stay on better and also protect the edges of the wood.

I also think you may want to slide some drip edge under the steel roof and on top of the roof decking or your waferboard may function as a "wick" when it is raining, etc. I would also recommend putting a coat of paint on the underside of the waferboard to retard moisture absorption too.

I also think you may want to slide some drip edge under the steel roof and on top of the roof decking or your waferboard may function as a "wick" when it is raining, etc. I would also recommend putting a coat of paint on the underside of the waferboard to retard moisture absorption too.

Daver great idea on the drip edge going to get that on this weekend. I also plan to prime and paint the underside of the particle board and put flat iron braces on each corner of the roof to the blind, to hopefully keep the roof from ripping off.

I took these pictures from the top of the tractor after I had gotten done mowing this area, this is where the blind is going to sit. Last weekend I plowed, disked, harrowed, fertilzed and planted Whitetail Institute imperial edge.

11-20150411_154231_resized.jpg

11-20150411_154225_resized.jpg

Finally got everything finished and the blind elevated....It only took about 8 months....:)

11-blind2.jpg

11-blind1.jpg

Hunting from a closed house like that,,makes BOW,,hunting too easy. Can draw a bow with no movement noticed at all. Should not be legal. Should have to become part of the environment, in brush, or a tree. Keep bow hunting simple and a challenge. :D Just kidding, but you catch my drift:D

Looks great, are you planning on tying it down? the wind will blow over the best built blinds. We drive a 6 ft fence post in next to at least 2 legs and attach them with Large clamps.

Hunting from a closed house like that,,makes BOW,,hunting too easy. Can draw a bow with no movement noticed at all. Should not be legal. Should have to become part of the environment, in brush, or a tree. Keep bow hunting simple and a challenge. :D Just kidding, but you catch my drift:D

I have never harvested an animal with my bow in a closed blind like this in 22 years of bowhunting. I built this mainly so I could take my 8 year old son with me during late season.....

Looks great, are you planning on tying it down? the wind will blow over the best built blinds. We drive a 6 ft fence post in next to at least 2 legs and attach them with Large clamps.

Yes I took these pics before anchoring....I put four 5' ground anchors about 10' from each corner then ran a 5/16" cable from the base of the blind to the anchor and tightened then down with turnbuckles.

I have never harvested an animal with my bow in a closed blind like this in 22 years of bowhunting. I built this mainly so I could take my 8 year old son with me during late season.....

Looks good to me! I bet your son will enjoy it!

Top Bottom