Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow Weight

evey

What is everyone's Arrow Weight and Speed?
Is My Arrow Weight to Light?

27 Inch Arrow
7.7 GPI
65lb.
274 FT.
Total Weight 327 Grains

Thanks Mike

What is everyone's Arrow Weight and Speed? Is My Arrow Weight to Light? 27 Inch Arrow 7.7 GPI 65lb. 274 FT. Total Weight 327 Grains Thanks Mike

My arrows are around 360 Grains.

27.5" 8.3GPI 70lbs right around 300fps.

450 and I think that's a light arrow. 30' draw and 70lbs. Never been thru a crono but various calculators say 315-320 fps

Mine is i think 475-ish (I added up and I never remember right) 11 GPI @ 30" arrow + 125 head, I think nocturnal nocks + inserts + vains was like 45 grains or so (forget). Shoots around 280-ish. 285 maybe. To me, that's a pretty dang big arrow. Especially vs what I used to have and to me, that's pretty fast for that big an arrow (I did shoot though chrono many many times- 280-288 was about high and low that i recall even though did it somewhat recent too). That would be nuts getting into 300's with that size arrow. I think IBO on my bow is like 330 or maybe 340 FPS.

Ibo on my bow is 350. Was contemplating a 125g tip to bump it up (might be other benefits to heavier head?). I need to shoot thru crono just to cure curiosity

I am going with a much heavier arrow, in the 600 grain range with a single bevel broad head. If I make a bad shot this set up is going to still put a deer down.

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/GrizzlyStik-Momentum-Arrows-C60.aspx

FWIW - I shoot a 200 grain single bevel broadhead with a total arrow weight of 652 grains on a 67 lb draw weight and FOC around 22-25% (can't remember precisely)...no idea what my arrow speed is but I have had a pass through on every animal I have shot since I switched to heavy arrows...that includes multiple whitetails, elk, and a black bear.

Heavy arrows with 2 blade broadheads = MUCH better penetration at all ranges, quieter arrow flight, less prone to deflection...you won't regret the change!

Heavy is better

I am shooting 648gr total arrow weight, with the Silver Flame 175gr 1.7/8ths inch cutting diameter. 217 fps on the chronograph. Some would say it's too heavy or too slow, Bulldonkey!

Since I switched to the heavy arrows and big fixed heads you wouldn't believe the difference. There isn't the slightest doubt what will happen when you hit a deer, or whatever. The arrow goes through everything, always a exit hole.

I have watched video after video of the Drury's shooting deer with Rages, yes they get kills with them. But, how many pass throughs do you see? I always see a bunch of the arrow sticking out. Everyone has a favorite head arrow combination, but does your set up allow you to take any shot presented, without worry your going to punch through to the other side.

When I shoot these big logs with big heads they put giant holes going in and coming out, every time. No worrying you're going to hit bone or ribs or whatever. They go through, period! Peace of mind for a quick humane kill.

Oh, btw, 327 grains of arrow is way to light IMHO.

Last thought...KE gets the arrow to the target, just a math problem really. Momentum is what makes it go through. Big difference.

I am shooting 648gr total arrow weight, with the Silver Flame 175gr 1.7/8ths inch cutting diameter. 217 fps on the chronograph. Some would say it's too heavy or too slow, Bulldonkey!

Whoa, I love it. I'm actually really impressed you are getting 217 FPS on that arrow weight, total weight 648 grains, that's a hefty load!!! Wow. SO.... What are you shooting for a bow & poundage to get that speed with that big of arrow? I'm impressed.

Your momentum: .624
KE: 67.68

That's great.
Mine is roughly:

Momentum: .58
KE: 80

You have a good bit more momentum. With your set up, I wouldn't doubt for a second you haven't seen an exit wound. Maybe it's possible you don't have one at some time but I'm not surprised with your comments. That's some power.

Last edited:
My set up

My bow set up is rather benign. I shoot an Elite
35. 29inch draw at 68 pounds grizzly stick 330 momentums

Last edited:

Since I switched to the heavy arrows and big fixed heads you wouldn't believe the difference. There isn't the slightest doubt what will happen when you hit a deer, or whatever. The arrow goes through everything, always a exit hole.

I have watched video after video of the Drury's shooting deer with Rages, yes they get kills with them. But, how many pass throughs do you see? I always see a bunch of the arrow sticking out. Everyone has a favorite head arrow combination, but does your set up allow you to take any shot presented, without worry your going to punch through to the other side.

When I shoot these big logs with big heads they put giant holes going in and coming out, every time. No worrying you're going to hit bone or ribs or whatever. They go through, period! Peace of mind for a quick humane kill.

Oh, btw, 327 grains of arrow is way to light IMHO.

Last thought...KE gets the arrow to the target, just a math problem really. Momentum is what makes it go through. Big difference.

Jeez son. How's your targets holding up?!

targets

I do have to use Rhineharts, The Block and others won't hold them, at least not for very long. But that is a small price to pay for the performance these arrows give. Maybe this year I will take some pics of the damage this arrow/head combo makes, pretty gruesome though.

Last edited:
Victory Elite 350 with stainless 60g insert 125g 2 blade Rage. Total around 430g at 70#. Don't care about speed and the Rage has been amazing for me. I personally don't shoot at deer over 30 yds and haven't had the need. This combo hits like an axe.

Top Bottom