Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Safelines

Rut Hunter

Have any of you guys found any cheap Safelines for treestands? I know the cheapest ones I have found are around $35-$40 Dollars.

I had some in my amazon shopping cart for a while. It was a 3 pack for about 29 a piece. The price fluctuated about a dollar every few weeks

I have bought a bunch of them at Menards over the past few years and from recall...I think I have paid around $30 apiece for them.

By all means, shop for bargains and get the best price you can...but I hope every deer hunter everywhere uses a safeline every time they leave the ground. A $30 "insurance policy" is a pittance compared to a serious injury and the medical costs, etc, that would likely go with it.

Best I found was around $30. I bought about 6 of them and just always had a couple in my pack for when I went to hunt and got most of them put on. But the piece of mind when I climb a tree hooked up to one of those with a little one at home is worth a lot more than $30.

On a side note, you could look at buying the rope and carabiners yourself and may save some money as it is just a simple prusik knot, but from what I found, unless you need a thousand feet of rope to do all your treestands, it's usually cheaper to buy a premade set. If I remember right, the rope was around $1 a foot. Discounts for purchases over 500' I think.

It took us a few yrs to get them on all of our perminant stands. We now have them on all stands and I have 6 for any new sets we will hang over the next few yrs.
I could never find a cheaper route than buying the pre- made ones, muddy, hss, and lonewolf are all right at 30 dollars.
I did buy climbing rope online to add another prusic knot to a handful of sets we film out of the most, you can now buy them pre made so if two people go up they can both use the same lifeline.
The cost of everything involved with this crazy addiction is pretty steep, lifelines to me are a no brainer and I'm constantly telling people to use them. We all have a lot of people in our lives that rely on us to come home in one piece.
I've always said treestand accidents are basically all preventable, I was younger and dumber also and I'm glad that I didn't have any accidents doing some basically stupid stuff when it comes to treestands.
Older and wiser now I would like to think

FYI basspro.com has the lifelines on sale for $29.97 per line. That's a pretty good deal with free shipping if you spend $75 or more

We have 3 packs of the Hunter Safety System ones in stock here for under $85 (around $28 each) I have tried several brands and like theirs the best.

Check out PBS boat store, they sell rope fairly cheap, I just made 12 liflelines for less than $250. Shipping to Missouri was close to $50. The rope comes with a 3 year warranty.

You can buy a lot of rope fairly cheap, but it needs for be the right rope. 200 pound fella suddenly dropping 2-3ft I'm going to bank on purchasing rope that will keep me from bouncing off the ground.
I looked into all sorts of different rope to make my own and never found any that was much cheaper than buying them pre-made.

I make them myself on the cheap. I'll have to look up the prices, but I'm pretty sure it was $8 for the 30' main line and $5 for 30' prussic which made several prussic. Caught these on a sale so several were bought at once.

I use a figure 8 knot for the main line to wrap around the tree and have tried one rope out several times and the harness started ripping while the line shows no wear (not that I would ever use that specific harness/rope for a stand now).

Last edited:
You can buy a lot of rope fairly cheap, but it needs for be the right rope. 200 pound fella suddenly dropping 2-3ft I'm going to bank on purchasing rope that will keep me from bouncing off the ground. I looked into all sorts of different rope to make my own and never found any that was much cheaper than buying them pre-made.
The rope was cheap but not cheaply made, it's double braided nylon, mold and uv resistant. I'm not big on falling either, have fallen off a roof and shattered my heel. The stuff I bought was 1/2 diameter with a working load of close to 600 pounds which the way they rate it is usually around 1/5 or 20% of breaking strength. I get what your saying about making sure it's the right stuff.

Last edited:
We have 3 packs of the Hunter Safety System ones in stock here for under $85 (around $28 each) I have tried several brands and like theirs the best.

What's the shipping if I wanted two of your 3 packs? On the house? Just to Des Moines...I won't be that way again

I sat there and complained to myself over $30 or whatever. And yes, if you can make em, do it! Then, I start thinking about it..... Let's say you have 20 treestands.... $600. OH MY?!?!? $600?!?!? We all spend twice that on a bow nowadays when we do set one up. That's the price of a medium grade shotgun, weekend pheasant hunt trip, a NR tag, whatever, however you wanna talk about it - it's a tiny amount to save your life in reality. I think my hospital bill was BALLPARK - $50,000-60,000 after I fell and surgeries, all the crap, etc. Insurance did cover it except for maybe $1500 deductible? Which is still almost 3 times the amount for setting up 20 stands. So, bite the bullet and buy a load of em for all your stands. They are not a pain to climb with, they are easy, save your life and the cost is minimal, even if you're a broke punk like I've been in my life, spend the $, stupid not to. I think I got Muddy & Big Game maybe, or hunter safety system, I don't know, several brands, all worked fine. My only complaint and it's a huge one!!!!!..... STUPID PRE-MADE COMPANIES THAT MAKE THEM!!!!!.... 30' I think??? Wrap around a tree, that's 2' right there gone. I do em above the stand, which is the way they should be... Well, yes, I have 30' treestands, I do. Putting 2' above them or at my head-line so I can keep the tether on safely, that puts them at like 36' to tie the end. I literally have to start the ropes about 8' off the ground, sometimes higher on certain stands before I can strap on. Pisses me off to no end. I'm not a sissy for using them but to limit them for length to save a few dollars drives me insane. I love my stand heights, no one is ever gonna change my mind when I hang my set ups differently for every situation - many trees get me 30-32' up... I love it, no way I'll change BUT those stupid pre-made safety ropes, come on moron manufacturers, not everyone hunts out of a 6' ladder stand you retards. ;)

I've been preaching the use of lifelines for a long time. I've never had a fall. Never had a close call. Nothing to drastically change my thinking. I have stands at 12' and stands at 30+ ft. I'm not going to fall from a tree. End of story. It's insanity to think that you can't fall.
Basically 3 of the people in my family hunt and if you forget your harness for some strange reason you sit a groundblind or stay home. Anyone that comes to hunt with us is using a harness and the lifelines on the stands and if not. No more coming back. It's an expense, but a very worthwhile one.

I'm cheap, the past few years I have thought about buying a few of these, but never did. This year I bought 3 and have them set up. To anyone worried about the price, just breakdown and buy them. Just hanging my stands and setting them up I feel so much better, its like a weight has been taken off my shoulder. I got the Muddy lines at Menards for $30 a peice. Just the peice of mind alone is worth it.

I sat there and complained to myself over $30 or whatever. And yes, if you can make em, do it! Then, I start thinking about it..... Let's say you have 20 treestands.... $600. OH MY?!?!? $600?!?!? We all spend twice that on a bow nowadays when we do set one up. That's the price of a medium grade shotgun, weekend pheasant hunt trip, a NR tag, whatever, however you wanna talk about it - it's a tiny amount to save your life in reality. I think my hospital bill was BALLPARK - $50,000-60,000 after I fell and surgeries, all the crap, etc. Insurance did cover it except for maybe $1500 deductible? Which is still almost 3 times the amount for setting up 20 stands. So, bite the bullet and buy a load of em for all your stands. They are not a pain to climb with, they are easy, save your life and the cost is minimal, even if you're a broke punk like I've been in my life, spend the $, stupid not to. I think I got Muddy & Big Game maybe, or hunter safety system, I don't know, several brands, all worked fine. My only complaint and it's a huge one!!!!!..... STUPID PRE-MADE COMPANIES THAT MAKE THEM!!!!!.... 30' I think??? Wrap around a tree, that's 2' right there gone. I do em above the stand, which is the way they should be... Well, yes, I have 30' treestands, I do. Putting 2' above them or at my head-line so I can keep the tether on safely, that puts them at like 36' to tie the end. I literally have to start the ropes about 8' off the ground, sometimes higher on certain stands before I can strap on. Pisses me off to no end. I'm not a sissy for using them but to limit them for length to save a few dollars drives me insane. I love my stand heights, no one is ever gonna change my mind when I hang my set ups differently for every situation - many trees get me 30-32' up... I love it, no way I'll change BUT those stupid pre-made safety ropes, come on moron manufacturers, not everyone hunts out of a 6' ladder stand you retards. ;)

I was just complaining about the same pre-man length....what a crock of crap

Top Bottom