Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

Winter Rye will grow on concrete with moisture.... oats need to be covered. You can broadcast brassicas into killed thatch with good results. I mix rye and brassicas

Assuming rye will grow if covered as well? When they're mixed together, they have to so maybe I answered my own question :)

Yes it will - here is an example of how our cereal grains did just broadcasting them, there's a video in the middle of this post as well.

Paul's favorite food plot mix was his Dbl Tree Rye Mix - it consisted of a variety of seeds and you could mix and match almost any with it you wanted. It was so flexible and easy to grow. You could use the fanciest equipment or just broadcast it and let a good hard rain push it into the soil. It grows on nearly any soil and attracts/feeds deer extremely well. It is also super good for your soil. The mix of legumes (clover and peas) add nitrogen to the soil. Rye and oats to add organic matter. The Rye roots will help the soil hold moisture long after the rye plants themselves die. The radishes will help develop a long tap root to break up hard pan soils. All while giving your deer and other wildlife a great food source!

Last week I checked on a "clover plot" of ours that has been shaded way too much and the clover has died out. I sprayed it with round-up and seeded rye, oats, and radishes immediately after.
11873448_10101168860092183_5078128911041336952_n.jpg

11889593_10101168859982403_2819769594130272357_n.jpg

11891995_10101168860641083_7268431460150159970_n.jpg

11949545_10101168860900563_6608348740437821638_n.jpg

Over the next 2 days we recieved 2" of rain which drove the seed into the soil and gave us the perfect conditions for it to sprout. The weeds/grass started to die from the round-up application, and I began working on cutting down trees and girdling larger trees around the plot to let more sunlight in.

Here is how things look a couple days after planting!

The Dbl Tree Rye Mix **video**

11951951_10101173418127843_6619260294041988065_n.jpg

11949140_10101173418417263_2410356657717381066_n.jpg

11895991_10101173420717653_8678525505827757511_n.jpg

11905379_10101173420473143_338371672200322481_n.jpg

11986532_10101173668076943_690393159299940164_n.jpg

I've got a plot at a farm that I'm trying to get started. It was in grasses. Killed it once early this summer, got my brassicas planted on half of it. Went back out there about 2 weeks ago and was surprised how quickly the weeds had come back after the glypho earlier in the summer. I sprayed it again 2 weeks ago, but had some issues with the sprayer. I'm not really sure what condition it's in now, but since I'm short on time and can only make one more trip out there this month, my plan was to just broadcast rye and clover (hopefully right before a good rain). I've had good luck with rye in the past, but always on a much more prepped surface. Do you think that this will work? (Certainly it'd be better than nothing...!). Any thoughts?

With the rains we've had this year the weeds seem to be relentless. Rye will grow just broadcasted. It obviously isn't the ideal seed bed and you won't get perfect germination but it will be ok. Pray for some nice hard rains to push it against the soil and keep it moist while it sprouts and you'll be fine! You may want to spray the weeds/grass one more time before seeding if it is pretty thick. Rye and clover are cheap, I'd say go for it!

If there is still anything green there and you only have one day, I would hit it hard with glyphosate and let it dry while you have lunch. Then go ahead & broadcast your rye & clover. The gly only affects green stuff and won't significantly affect broadcast seed.

So I bought the 4010 peas from Welters and just noticed that they need inoculant. Do I really need it or can I just broadcast a few more lbs in the mix? Planning on planting Friday!

So I bought the 4010 peas from Welters and just noticed that they need inoculant. Do I really need it or can I just broadcast a few more lbs in the mix? Planning on planting Friday!

Yes best to use inoculate but I planted several on the 22nd of August and they look incredible...some had inoc and some did not both came up great and look to be very healthy but it is recommended...if you didn't have that option I would just plant...are you just broadcasting or drilling/discing in? Because that could make a difference too I disced all mine in

Thanks! I'll be discing, broadcasting the big grains/ peas and then cultipacking followed by broadcasting the other smaller seeds. Then finishing with a final cultipacker pass? Hoping to catch the rain on Tues/Wed 60% chance.

We have all our pea/rye/radish/red clover part of the Dbl tree mix planted for a few weeks now. Couldn't get any inoculant for the peas. They are doing great two weeks after planting.
Both AWP and forage peas.

We have all our pea/rye/radish/red clover part of the Dbl tree mix planted for a few weeks now. Couldn't get any inoculant for the peas. They are doing great two weeks after planting.
Both AWP and forage peas.

I was just a little scared after reviewing the new Welter's site, the 4010 peas are the only type that says "Inoculant recommended"! I suppose, I'm not out that much if they don't all germinate with all of the other varieties in the mix?

Got my cereal mix planted yesterday in SW WI...just ahead of the rain they were forecasting all day to hit around 8pm. Busted my butt to finish and then looked at the weather on my phone...0% chance of rain for the rest of the night! Dang. More chances of rain throughout the week. Season opens in 9 days for us, won't have much for the cereal section then but they should be hitting the white clover strip and radishes in the brassica mix I'm sure.

Ur seed & plants will be fine without innoculant. Just won't fix as much nitrogen. I wouldn't worry about it.
With rain- if u drilled in & moisture in soil- could be germinating already. They will blow up when it does rain. U got the variety & that's why u plant a buffet- exactly for reasons like this or crop failures on certain things.

Thanks Skip! I got 2 plots in today with the fourwheeler (each about .2 acres) and 2 small ones by rake. One more small one this weekend and I'm done, now praying for this next storm front on Tuesday. I'd attach pics but it won't let me download from my phone. Everybody drink plenty of water if your working outside this weekend, I was out for four hours without water or a drink this morning and got a little dizzy. When I got home, I had lost 8 + Lbs of water weight! Not good!

Can a guy get away with broadcasting rye into a standing clover plot and have it produce or will the clover keep it chocked out?

I would guess you would get some rye to germinate, but clover would shade out enough of it that I don't think you would be satisfied. But that is a guess, not a "from experience" recommendation.

If you lightly run a lightweight disc over it to set the clover back a bit, it can work well. I do it on weaker stands of clover all the time.

Planted my cereal Sept 2nd this year and didn't put any urea down. Didn't catch a rain until the 6th or so. Plot has been growing big time with the weather conditions we've had. More warm to come. At what point would you consider mowing it down? Just curious as mine is starting to get kind of long with no cold front in sight.

Top Bottom