Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Recommendations for Crossbow

kjmosley

My son broke his arm in a football game and obviously won't be able to shoot a compound bow so I am in the market for a crossbow. Any recommendations as to good bows or ones to stay away from.

I assume he may someday go back to a compound? There are a number of quality crossbows out there for $400-$600 dollars. Get the best you can afford. If it shoots over 300 FPS you will need to purchase special crossbow broad heads. I tried to shoot 4 blade Muzzys, and 3 blade Rages, they where very inaccurate in my Ten Point Vapor shooting 378 FPS. I contacted Ten Point and they claim to have the best results with the NAP Spitfire in 125 grain broad head for deer and 150 grain broad head for hogs. And remember in Iowa you must shoot at least a 3 blade broad head in an crossbow. I hope this helps.

In this year's regs I don't see anything about the 3 blade head requirement. Is that a thing of the past or is it still in place?

Have heard good things about the excaliber but they are wide. Depends what you are looking for I guess.

In this year's regs I don't see anything about the 3 blade head requirement. Is that a thing of the past or is it still in place?

It is in the application. Some would say a COC tip counts as the third blade. I would choose not to test that theory.

cabelas has barnett raptors packages on sale now for 299.99. My wife shoots one and is hunting with it this fall. She is shooting darts with it and I believe it will be a fine hunting tool.

I like Excalibur crossbows. No cables or cams to break and very accurate. Eders.com has the best prices on them. The Micro is about $750

Barnett is junk...PERIOD...all of them.
Parkers are play toys.
You can't go wrong with Ten Point.
Ten point now makes Horton.....as well as Wicked Ridge.
Stryker (also made by bowtech) are pretty good too.
Bowtech acquired Excalibur.....which is another good one but LOUD!

Best crossbow for the money is Wicked Ridge.
I saw a review recently, but can't find the link, done by field and stream or outdoor life. trigger pull was less than 2 pounds on the wicked ridge model they tested.....

Last edited:
It is in the application. Some would say a COC tip counts as the third blade. I would choose not to test that theory.

I read an article in The Bowhunter (The IBA's publication) written by Willie Suchy of the DNR that said a change had been made in the regs that late season crossbows can use the same broad heads as archery equipment. I don't know if they took wording out or put wording into the regs to reflect this.

Top Bottom