Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Poison Ivy survey

I got it bad once and have since been super careful in the woods. Pants, gloves, washing up promptly, etc. Been lucky so far as to avoid the rash. I would not pay for a shot given my "success", but if I broke out in it again, I would pay $500 easily to not have to endure the misery again.

Only problem with that is parsnip isn't an allergic reaction, it's actually a chemical burn from the fluid inside the plant reacting with the sun.
Ok, so $500 for the parsnip shot. ;)

Yeah, agreed that a shot isn't going to help, but a guy can dream....

I dunno, hypothetically this would be priceless. I'd even eat tapifreakinoca if it prevented poison ivy.

I'll echo a couple of other posts, yes, I'm older than dirt and I've got the poison ivy scars to prove it. Betamethasone works incredibly well but it is not without side effects. It absolutely thins my skin in the area if used for more than a week or so but my skin does recover. I use Go-Joe waterless (without pumice, that's like using sandpaper) to scrub down outside and rise with the hose. Then in the shower I use the Go-Joe that you can use with water and scrub with one of those terry cloth scrubbers. I do this if I even think I've come close to the plant. If I have had a known exposure my clothes go in the washer by themselves and washed twice with extra rinse then a rinse cycle in the empty washer to clean it out. I have not had a breakout when I've used this cleaning method. Yeah, you can tell I get it pretty bad. I still get exposed unknowingly mainly when I mow. Currently I've got about 6 pencil lead sized blisters on my legs and arms but the betamethasone is working well. If you are away from home take the Go-Joe with you and a jug of water. Scrub before you get in your vehicle and again when you get home.

I find I'm as susceptible to Virginia Creeper also called five finger ivy, as I am to poison ivy.

Wife works for a dermatologist and they recommend using rhus tox. Sounds like more of a preventative med but available over the counter.

I get it very bad every year. In doctors office multiple times per year. Thus year have been scrubbing with wash cloth and dawn soap every time if have been in the woods. I got a slight case earlier this year but fended it off by scrubbing and washing twice a day. So far so good this year.

I get it easily and it stays with me unless I treat on multiple fronts.

1. Long sleaves and gloves. Keep covered up. Try to not wipe my face with anything that's been in the weeds.
2. Shower and clean agressively after I've been out. Think like surgical clean methods.
3. Keep washing twice a day. Keep the skin happy, no irritants at all on the surface.
4. If there are bumps, scrub agressively and treat with Ivarrest. It seals up the weaping and does provide itch releif medications.
5. Regular doses of over-the counter antihistamines. Treat it like the skin-alergy that it is.

I'm interested in checking out the Betamethasone as Sligh1 suggested.

My sympathies to all others who get it easily. Speedy recovery.

I should mention that my dad was deathly allergic to the stuff. He want on an off-road motorcycle trip near Hells Canyon Idaho when I was young. Spent about three days in intensive care upon his return.

Brian

I get small amounts a couple times every year. A few times have had the Dr. trips for shots and/or roids. If I wash well after coming out of the woods I can prevent most outbreaks.

I believe this shot actually exists. From what I hear doctor's don't like to prescribe unless you have extreme reactions to it. My fiancee's mother is a nurse and a man in her hometown gets it. I never had until last year, at age 26, starts usually on my wrist or hand and spreads slowly over a good portion of my body, guessing from where I touch before I make it home to wash up. Terrible though, can't sleep with the itch for a few weeks. I got the eye swelling and around the nose, took some advil and that at least removes the swelling.

Top Bottom