Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Venison prep

arm

Leg
For those of you process your own deer. Ever since I started doing my own, I spend more than half the time cutting/pulling off ALL the silver skin. I was watching some youtube videos recently where some guys weren't giving it all that much effort. So I'm thinking, on the trim I'm going to grind to burger, I don't have to be so thorough removing all the silver skin. Anyone else do this and not taste a difference? (some grind I mix with beef and some with bacon for variety)

The only cuts I worry about silver skin is steaks and roasts. Hamburger we make is straight deer. All tallow is removed though as I find that will give an undesirable flavor in my opinion.

I remove it on everyhting , I only use clean lean meat when working with deer. Does seem to give you more waste when butchering but I feel it makes a difference in taste also !!!!!

X3 on the silver. That stuff has got to go!
As a side note. When running it through the grinder, it tends to clog up the blade depending on how coarse you are grinding. For this reason, I don't even mess with front legs anymore. Get the good shoulder meat off down to the first joint and toss the rest. Not worth the effort IMO.

The "strong" or "gamey" flavor will be in the fat. Trim that! The "silverskin" is just connective tissue (collagen). It's chewy, unless cooked a long time like a pot roast, stew or osso buco (awesome way to do shanks). Trim it off steaks, but for anything that will get ground (burger, sausage etc.) or pot roasted it won't hurt a thing. Actually in pot roast or shanks, it is a plus, as it adds a gelatinous smoothness to the finished product.

If the silverskin clogs your grinder, get a new (sharp) blade. ;)

I clean all the fat off when first processing and leave the silver skin on - vacuum seal and freeze. As I pull a piece out for a meal I then take the silver skin completely out. It seems easier just doing it one meals worth at a time

I age my deer for about a week or more then fillet the outer layer off so I end up with nothing but tender muscle with no to little wild game taste.

I bought a pressure caner last year. I can venison in mason jars. I don't need to clean the silver off when I prepare it this way. It's delicious!

Everything else that's not canned i remove the silver on.

I also remove as much silver as possible. As far as taste. First deer I ever got,,my dad and I took to the locker. Got it back,,with bone in it. I liked it, but wanted to do this myself. I got a little book next season that showed you how, by deboning. After I took meat off the bone,,,a much better taste,,to me anyway compared to freezing and cookin with bone in the meat. Also read from a butcher that a lot of taste you might not care for is in the blood. I usually soak a roast or steaks now for a few hrs in salt water to draw the blood out. I think improves the taste even more!

I bought a pressure caner last year. I can venison in mason jars. I don't need to clean the silver off when I prepare it this way. It's delicious! Everything else that's not canned i remove the silver on. 106

X2 on canning. I started doing this a couple years ago. Now that's almost all I do besides making some jerky. So tender and you can make a bunch of different meals with it.

The "strong" or "gamey" flavor will be in the fat. Trim that! The "silverskin" is just connective tissue (collagen). It's chewy, unless cooked a long time like a pot roast, stew or osso buco (awesome way to do shanks). Trim it off steaks, but for anything that will get ground (burger, sausage etc.) or pot roasted it won't hurt a thing. Actually in pot roast or shanks, it is a plus, as it adds a gelatinous smoothness to the finished product. If the silverskin clogs your grinder, get a new (sharp) blade. ;)

This. It's the fat that carries the gamely flavor. Trim the fat . Venison osso buco is awesome!

Top Bottom