Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Venison Recipe's

After reading the post on "venison prep" I thought it would be interesting to see what everyones favorite recipe is for deer whether its simply steaks or loins, canned, or something else. I want to try some new recipes this year so lets hear some of em !

As for my family we canned a decent amount and have made BBQ Deer pizza with muchrooms and banana peppers, hands down some of the best pizza!

I also like to take a loin and cut it into medallions and wrap it in bacon and grill it.

AND always my favorite is smoking fresh, never frozen jerky!

I have all kinds of meals put on here that aren't the "norm" and have had great reviews - below are the links I could find from them-

I have done (just from memory)
- Bacon Wrapped Loin stuffed with Mozz, garlic, rotel
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49530&highlight=bacon+wrapped
- Venison Taco Soup (my favorite - with ground venison)
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52882&highlight=taco+soup
- Venison Egg rolls- these are pretty legit
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51472&highlight=egg+rolls
- Venison Stroganoff with Hen Of the Woods mushrooms
http://iowawhitetail.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52868&highlight=stroganoff
-Venison Stuffed Peppers
I know there are a few more- but I cant think of them off the top of my head

Last edited:
One of my favorites is to cut some chunks of stew meat 1" cubes . 1- 1.5 lbs . Salt and pepper or season with your favorite seasoning and throw them in a frying pan with clarified butter or olive oil on med high heat and fry until medium rare. Then add 2 small boxes of frozen spinach and cook until spinach is done. Then add 1 cup whipping cream. Cook until spinach has soaked up the cream. Serve over rice. It's easy and delicious

I've cooked this twice recently. You want to use a fair amount of venison (5 lbs?) to replace the chuck roast, otherwise it can turn out too salty.

Crock Pot Chuck Roast
1. Buy a chuck roast.
2. Put it in the crock pot.
3. Sprinkle Hidden Valley ranch dressing on top.
4. Sprinkle McCormick Au Jus mix on top.
Put a stick of butter on top.
Put about 5 pepperoncini peppers on top.
(You buy them in a jar.)

Do NOT add water.

Cook in crock pot on low for about 8 hours.

Best with fresh backstrap. I have tried this recipe a couple of times and even the boys like it (minus the jalapeño). Since we don’t have any cast iron skillet, I’ve used our non-stick cookware with some olive oil heated just below smoking. Roll the venison loin around to sear the outside evenly. The ingredient list may look a little too fancy, but don’t let that scare you off of trying this!!!!

[FONT=&quot]Seared Encrusted Carpaccio of Venison[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 handful fresh rosemary, finely chopped or a couple teaspoons dried rosemary, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Light sprinkling dried oregano
1 piece of venison backstrap or eye of round, size to fit number of servings (1 eye of round serves 2)
About 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
Small handful fresh cilantro, finely diced
Cold pressed Sesame oil
Soy sauce, to taste
Juice of 1 or 2 limes

Mix the coriander, chopped rosemary, salt, pepper and oregano and sprinkle on a board or work surface. Roll and press the venison over this, making sure the meat is completely covered with the coating. In a very hot, DRY cast iron pan (do not oil the pan,) sear the meat for around 5 minutes until brown and slightly crisp on all sides. Remove from the pan. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes before slicing as thinly as possible (the inside should be raw to rare) and lay the sliced meat on a large plate. Gather the diced ginger. Flick these randomly over the sliced meat along with the jalapeno and cilantro so each piece has some. Drizzle with a very small amount of sesame oil, some soy sauce (not too much) and freshly squeezed lime juice.

Serve with a salad and vegetables dressed with lots of real butter.

[/FONT]

An old post to a forum that I copied and saved to my hard drive:
I took the ribs of a yearling deer I shot last weekend and placed them in my Brinkman smoker. I had an old grapevine that I cut about 4 inch sections of, then split them lengthwise and soaked them in water. I have an electric element for the smoker, so I plugged it in and let it smoke for 5.5 hours. While I was waiting on the ribs, I made up some “Carolina Red” bbq sauce, modifying a recipe I found via google. My mom is from western Kentucky and every time we would visit the relatives down there, we would drive to Peak’s Barbeque near Waverly, Kentucky. It was a watery vinegar sauce, unlike the thick pasty stuff that some refer to as Kansas City sauce. Either way, I think I hit a home run with what I threw together.

I mixed the following and brought it to a simmer:
One half gallon cheap ketchup
One and a half gallon white vinegar
4 tablespoons each of white and brown sugar
One half tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
Two tablespoons black peppercorns
Six habenero pepper, cut in quarters
10 small jalapeno peppers, cut in quarters

I pulled the ribs off the smoker, put them in the big canner full of sauce, placed it in the oven and set the temperature to 225 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of hours, then backed it down to 180 F for a couple of hours, then turned the oven off overnight.

After cooling overnight, there was a solidified fat layer over the top which I skimmed off before boning out the ribs, returning the meat back to the sauce, added 6 more jalapenos and brought it back to a simmer. There is a LOT of vinegar in that sauce, which made the meat AND bones tender! I would recommend this for tough, old animals. I took a hoagie bun, split it lengthwise, added some fresh sliced onion, piled on the “chipped” bbq meat and I was in heaven. I might even try this with a better cut of meat. I do have the front shoulders and neck still in the fridge…….

Nice recipes guys...how about a posting a picture of each of you wearing an apron too? :D

Seriously, I think I will try a few of those this fall! Thanks for posting.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Nice recipes guys...how about a posting a picture of each of you wearing an apron too? :D
Careful what ya ask for! ;):D

Place medallions of backstrap or tenderloin in a Pyrex baking dish.
Cover with one can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with one soup can full of milk.
Salt and pepper to taste (could add garlic/onion powder).
Bake in a 350F oven for 40 minutes.
Serve over rice or mashed potatoes.

I invited a visitor from Japan over for supper one night. He timidly tried this, commented it tasted like whale, then proceeded to load his plate. Must have been good in his opinion. :D

You guys were starting make me hungry and then that picture of Randy in the apron comment took care of that....

Last edited:
Lots of folks probably already do this but ground bacon in with venison burger is the bomb in lasagna, spaghetti, etc. Adds an awesome Italian flavor.

Front Quarter of venison,
using a cooler or large tub submerge whole front quarter in mixture of 2 liter of 7-up and 1 gallon Bloody mary Mix. put in fridge for 2-3 days.

remove from marinade and place in rack of electric roaster pan. season to liking,( some rosemary and garlic powder made mine very good. ) add some liquid to pan to retain moisture.

Cook on 250 degrees for 12 hours. pretty much set it and forget it.

at 12 hour mark lift lid and cover with cut potatoes and onions. again season as you wish. ( mine was Lowrys)

make sure you have some liquid left and add if needed.

turn up heat to 350 and cook for additional 2-3 hours or until potatoes are done.

the meat will completely fall off the bone and you will have the best front shoulder you have ever had from a deer.

I've cooked this twice recently. You want to use a fair amount of venison (5 lbs?) to replace the chuck roast, otherwise it can turn out too salty. Crock Pot Chuck Roast 1. Buy a chuck roast. 2. Put it in the crock pot. 3. Sprinkle Hidden Valley ranch dressing on top. 4. Sprinkle McCormick Au Jus mix on top. Put a stick of butter on top. Put about 5 pepperoncini peppers on top. (You buy them in a jar.) Do NOT add water. Cook in crock pot on low for about 8 hours.

I do this exact recipe with my pot roast. Very good!

Cut back straps into medallions, melt stick or 2 of butter on skillet (keep adding butter as needed), salt/pep/lawrys medallions, roll in flour, cook rare-to medium. Get a case of Busch lite and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Here is one that I enjoy is jalapeno venison wrapped with bacon. Cut the loin one inch thick then pound then down nice and thin. Next cut the jalapeno in half and remove the seeds then wrap the loin around the jalapeno then wrap with bacon and secure both end with toothpicks. Grill on a charcoal grill ( indirect heat) until bacon is nice and crispy then indulge yourself. Easy to prepare and takes little time.
picture.php

We usually eat most of a deer this way throughout the summer ...so easy and amazing:
1. Cube the venison into 1"-1.5" pieces
2. Marinate overnight in a mixture of 1/2 Frank's Red Hot and Worcester sauce
3. Optionally wrap pieces in bacon, I usually don't do this
4. BBQ to your taste

Somehow the heat from the Frank's cooks away, my kids would gorge themselves on it even as three year olds.

Top Bottom