Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best days of the rut

Questioning the same this year, but in the past I've had the most action starting around the last week of October thru about Nov. 10. I've seen mature bucks during this time, and I've shot or shot at 4.5yr+ (I think) bucks on Nov. 5, 6, 7, 10. Most years, if I haven't shot one by the 10th, I haven't got many more opportunities, but that is just my personal experience. Lots of deer go down after that. My time frame also probably depends greatly on when I take time off, which is usually in that range. First mature buck I encountered as a bowhunter was on Veterans Day, and I got to watch him bed down with a doe for about 3.5 hours about 50-55 yards from my stand. Still one of the greatest days of hunting I've had, and definitely the longest I couldn't move on stand. My grandpa always had good activity around Nov. 15 thru the end of November. Probably depends on the farm, but I would say anytime from Oct. 1 to Jan. 10 is ok to shoot a deer (with applicable weapon for the season of course).

The buck I've wanted to get the past 3 seasons I've only seen from the stand anywhere from about Halloween to Nov. 4th-ish. Have pics before and after then, but still more so in that late October thru about Nov. 10 range, until after late season.

Halloween to thanksgiving. Any day can be great just depends on where you are. Agree most activity between November 2-14th. Can kill a big one any time, but you can't do it from the couch!

November 7ish through the 20h or so. First week of November is a bit off. My cams start to get the biggest of the big boys starting about the 10th.

I use to take the 3rd or 4th thru the 10th or 11th off but I always started seeing the better bucks at the end of my week off so now I start around the 6th or 7th and go to the 14th or so. Has been working lately and usually get some cooler weather.

I use to take the 3rd or 4th thru the 10th or 11th off but I always started seeing the better bucks at the end of my week off so now I start around the 6th or 7th and go to the 14th or so. Has been working lately and usually get some cooler weather.

My experience in the past several years has been very similar...better towards the 8th through the 13th or so...but still good earlier in November too.

Gotta love Chuck and his moon. From the data I've kept over the years I maintain what I mentioned earlier. Nov 7 through 20 year in and year out. I'm not a moon proponent I think it has little to do with anything. I would base my days afield the month of November on temperature. Chuck has sold a lot of rut calendars over the years though.

Last edited:
Anytime after October 25th can be magical. I've had some great encounters during the first week of November but harvested quite a few mature deer on Black Friday. That Thursday through Sunday around Thanksgiving is probably my favorite 4 days.

I think Mark Drury said it best on his Wired to Hunt podcast interview. "the moon phase accents the weather".
Weather trumps moon phase AND the pre-rut time of year.
If you have a warm dry last week of October AND first week in November, then the second week cools off to normal time of the year temps...it will look like a friggin deer rave in every picked corn/bean field!
Deer are bread the same time every year, read the studies.
If the weather cooperates for the last week in October, the action will be hotter than the next week with the same weather conditions.
Watch the fronts and keep an eye on the barometric pressure.
This is what I'll be doing this year, and putting in my time off request at the last possible second.
Good luck to every one.....cause this years weather doesn't seem to be turning into "ideal" rut conditions.

Everyone save your money on tags and sell all your equipment. Don't you know that bucks don't breed unless it's cold? The rut is cancelled this year. Which means no fawns next year. Which means no shooters in 5 years. This season is basically the last deer season ever... : )

No,,,SEX goes on,,If it is warm,,,just means more movement at night. Cool in the Mornings will be best! From watching European News Casts,,seems the real cold,,is over there. I see everyone with heavy coats on?

I think Mark Drury said it best on his Wired to Hunt podcast interview. "the moon phase accents the weather". Weather trumps moon phase AND the pre-rut time of year. If you have a warm dry last week of October AND first week in November, then the second week cools off to normal time of the year temps...it will look like a friggin deer rave in every picked corn/bean field! Deer are bread the same time every year, read the studies. If the weather cooperates for the last week in October, the action will be hotter than the next week with the same weather conditions. Watch the fronts and keep an eye on the barometric pressure. This is what I'll be doing this year, and putting in my time off request at the last possible second. Good luck to every one.....cause this years weather doesn't seem to be turning into "ideal" rut conditions.
ideal rut conditions? We're pretty close to normal this weekend and next week, only off a couple degrees

Here is a news flash for everyone. Best day of the rut is when you are on stand from October 25-November 30 and a big one happens to walk by when you are sitting there..

In my life I have witnessed the mature big boys out and about during daylight from november 10th through thanksgiving. You just have to be in the right tree at the right hour....thats why the rut is the best time of the year for me...it can happen at any moment!

Last edited:
It can happen anytime from late October on...

I used to hunt the first week of November pretty hard. Didn't really see much for big bucks until the end of the first week and beyond. I am banking on Nov. 7-15 this year. Should be good. I'd say based on trail pics over the years, the biggest bucks have moved Nov. 12th.

If I had to choose one day it would be November 13th. I've had most of my chances on this day over any other day over the years.

Top Bottom