Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

scents & decoys

10hunter

PMA Member
I have used calls and rattled with occasional success but have hardly used scents or decoys to attract bucks. Have always been concerned that I may scare away old bucks\does if not done properly. Do have a couple of spots in mind though where we have stands with good visibility where a decoy\scents may help. Any stories or advice on setups or scents that have worked well for all of you is appreciated.

I wouldn't say success, but I've used scents of different types (scent wafer/leaf, hanging wicks, drag line, gel or spray on branches, herd in a stick...never tried buck bomb type sprays or scent heaters) in the past and didn't see any negative effects. Mostly I just saw no effect from the scents. I only saw deer react to it a few times by sniffing the ground or the branch it was on, and then walk on. So I wouldn't say it helped or hurt those hunts.

For decoys, I've used a 3D target a few times. Again, wouldn't say it helped or hurt those hunts, but never had a mature buck come in view on those hunts. One time, I didn't get the stakes in the ground far enough, and my decoy decided to take a nap. Another time, I couldn't get the stakes in the ground at all, so used it as a bedded doe in the middle of a clover field. Had a young buck walk within 30 yards of it watching it the whole time...didn't spook, but didn't put him where I would need him for a shot either (if I wanted to take it). Another time, it did stop a doe that had run into the clearing I was hunting, but then she ran off. I would say that was neutral to positive as well, as she ran in and ran off, but stopped long enough that I could have possibly got a shot off.

As all have said in past comments,,sometimes may work. Most of the time,,Neutral. On controlled hunt pressure properties,,or wilderness areas,,can work better. In heavy hunter presence areas,,animals very suspicious. Most mature animals have seen,,smelled, and heard it all. My opinion anyway.

I just got a decoy and plan on using it in a couple weeks. I've never used one so we'll see how it goes. I'll do an update in a few weeks.

Getting it scent free can be a problem and lugging it around is a pain at times.

Agreed. I leave mine outside, in a pine grove for a few days if I know it will be dry. Hang the bag in a tree. Seems to work. Do the same with my double bull.

Lugging the decoy around can be a pain. I have used a short piece of rope to fashion a strap that goes over my shoulder. I have owned the primos fork horn and currently use the primos scar face. I used the fork horn until I couldn't put it back together. It has been rocked at least three times that I can remember. I killed last years buck over the scar face. I have truly enjoyed this method of hunting and use it anywhere from about the 20th on through November. Once I get it out for the year it remains outside. I spray it down fully once I have it in the ground. I have never used any deer scents with it. Ultimately it's one more tool in the box that has been fun and effective for me.

Top Bottom