Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Control:

loneranger

Watching all the different tips and procedures in scent control on the Internet. Some really elaborate ,,some simple. Wondering what you do? Might be interesting ?

I pay attention to the wind and thermals and choose stands accordingly.
I shower most of the time scent free soap and arm and hammer unscented deodorant. have gone out after work with out and been fine when i payed attention to the wind.
I wash my clothes at the beginning of the season and hang to dry but then only as needed after that because I think the dryer will probably make them smell worse then they already do.
I use a spray. I like a fresh earth scent. Don't know how much difference it makes but I use it.
I firmly believe the wind is the biggest scent control tool there is.

I wash my clothes in scent free soap and as soon as they come out of the dryer I put them in my big plastic bag I drop a earth scent wafer in with them as well. I then don't put the clothes on until I get to the field. It makes for a cold morning when your changing in the back of the truck but I think it's worth it. I also always play the wind, sometimes I don't get to hunt the stands I want but it's better than getting busted.

Wash my clothes in scent free detergent before season, hang dry outside. In the past I have tried using scent eliminating sprays of various kinds. Carbon Synergy is by far the best I've found so far. I've tried using the nose jammer with varying results. Always try to play the wind, but sometimes the deer come from unexpected places or...the worst of them all, light variable winds! I hate those! I've only been out a few times some far this season, but I am trying the smoking thing with a scent smoker. I hadn't had much for deer being downwind until last night. I had two bucks, both were likely 3.5 within 20 yards, directly downwind of me. Neither had a clue. It will take more than one good encounter to make me sold on a system, but that was nice to have happen. Maybe the smoke thing works.

I shower with scent free soap, wash and dry clothes with scent free stuff, then directly in a scent free bag and I put some ever calm on the inside of the bag. I try to pay attention to the wind still have few issues with getting busted even with deer directly down wind

I approach it as a matter of the more you do the greater the reduction in chances of detection, although the return on the effort diminishes at each step. I tend to break it into 2 parts - 1) keeping scent out of their nose and 2) decreasing my overall scent profile. #1 is far more important than #2:

For example (all values are completely fabricated to illustrate my point)
Play wind appropriately: 90% reduction in detection
Proper stand height and positioning (e.g. top of ridge) - 6%
Wash body and clothes: 3%
Scent control clothing: 0.5%
Spray down gear: 0.25%
etc.

I try to apply the first three constantly because I am confident they all work, although I do not wash my clothes before every single outing, particularly if I am going to a well positioned stand with the correct wind. If I am heading to a super aggressive stand that is prone to some wind swirl, I pull out all the stops.

My $0.02

first wash all clothes scent free soap& bakind soda. Hang outside to dry. Put in tubs,,with soda in the bottom. Put some cedar boughs in the tubs with clothes. When I get back from a morn hunt take off clothes hang on porch railing,,if dry weather. After first wk of hunting wash under garments again . Bathe with scent free soap before each hunt. Use scent killing deoderant,,spray down stuff, boots, with home made scent killin spray,,Soda,peroxide,soap,rain water. Brush teeth with soda. Keep clothes outside. I saw avideo, guy made another cover spray boiling brush,twigs,,weeds in water for 20 min,,then filtering thru cloth and using as a spray. May do that too...

Top Bottom