Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

hunting the rain

Tempted t try it. I've heard it works sometimes as miserable as it can be. Other than the obvious like be very careful of shot you take to minimize tracking difficulties , any thoughts on the subject ?

I will sit through the last half hour of a cell because a lot of times as soon as the rain quits the deer will be on their feet. I have seen deer during rain showers as well and have also gotten soaked and seen nothing. Typically I don't hunt in the rain anymore but will head to the stand as soon as the system has almost passed. Now if it is a light rain between Halloween and shotgun season I will sit in it as long as I feel I would be able to trail a fatally hit deer. Shot a good buck a few years ago on Black Friday in a constant mist.

Right after a rain is Money$$. Ideal situation.... rain or wet snow for a few hours, stopping with 1-2 hours of light left. Favorite.

With the current forecast, Wednesday morning will be a time to be in stand. No doubt in my mind.

Ill be honest not sure what you are thinking of rain I think if it's hammering down blowing 30 you might have a long day , I have seen more big bucks in a light steady drizzle during the that last week of October to Mid November than I have seen on a blue bird day. Just my take . maybe my luck , I love a nice overcast day with showers just seems to get them bucks moving in MY opinion..

Last edited:
Ill be hones not sure what you are thinking of rain I think if it's hammering down blowing 30 you might have a long day , I have seen more big bucks in a light steady drizzle during the that last week of October to Mid November than I have seen on a blue bird day. Just my take . maybe my luck , I love a nice overcast day with showers just seems to get them bucks moving in MY opinion..

was talking today specifically heh. I may go try , what the heck

I will sit through the last half hour of a cell because a lot of times as soon as the rain quits the deer will be on their feet. I have seen deer during rain showers as well and have also gotten soaked and seen nothing. Typically I don't hunt in the rain anymore but will head to the stand as soon as the system has almost passed. Now if it is a light rain between Halloween and shotgun season I will sit in it as long as I feel I would be able to trail a fatally hit deer. Shot a good buck a few years ago on Black Friday in a constant mist.

I also agree with this. ^^ A little rain can also conceal your movement/sound when approaching your stand.

I also agree with this. ^^ A little rain can also conceal your movement/sound when approaching your stand.

I have hunted in the rain since I was a kid. My dad was a rain hunter and it is different. Today will be cold out there, trust me on this, dress appropriately. I love the rain but I have learned just like stated here, end of a cell is money. If I was off work I would be there tomorrow morning.

I always had a theory that mature deer feel a bit more comfy moving with a light rain and overcast/foggy conditions.

Deer surely move better when it's overcast. I am sure they see better. Really steady rain and high wind isn't good, but most, light showers on and off I love. Or snow showers.

Light rain is best right now because deer are actively checking scrapes awaiting the first does. Rain makes them refresh their scent. Once the rut hits all bets are off.

well i went , missed a chip shot on a doe an hour and a half before end of light , lost confidence to stay with the rain and left heh. i know what i did tho and its not gonna happen again . at least it was a clean miss thank god. she didnt even spook, ran back 3 yards and walked away

Love to hunt in a light rain. So, I took late afternoon off sat for 3 hours in a drizzle to light rain. Have had success in the past during this time. Today......I saw absolutely nothing.
Not even a raccoon.

Same here. Sat the last 3 hours...nothing. Cornfield was just picket 2 nights ago out in front of me too and wind was PERFECT!

Moon is keeping movement at night right now IMO.

I have a tendency to hunt crazy times and as much as i can. I'm deep as can be in a small public and nowhere near crops. Haven't had any luck for 5 years on private permission so i put in my time and pray. I can go a week and not see a doe let alone bucks. Manage to fill tags every year but it's tough . So i sit in the rain and do what i can

Agree with hunting near end of the rain or in a drizzle. Also like foggy mornings. Never have got one on a foggy morning but like the idea of one trying to sneak through. Also agree with rain as a cover sound. Remember one hunt where I needed to cover 300 to 400 yards in a bunch of leaves to get to my stand. I happened to be running late and was light out. Started to rain as I started toward my stand so I took off on a power walk (almost jogging) to make up time. Guessing nothing really heard me. Rain actually stopped when I got into my stand.

I like the fog comments. I have no idea if there is factual evidence about deer activity in fog but I've seen my biggest deer on foggy mornings. And it just looks cool

Top Bottom