Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage Deflection

Rage about cost my buddy a 200 incher a few years ago. Quartering away shot. He hit him damn near perfect but the arrow deflected and luckily sliced the brachial artery right under the armpit. Arrow never penetrated the chest cavity. He was very lucky.

Killed a bear this way last year! Just as deadly as the lungs :) those rages always find something to cut, just point them down range and let it rip.

Another possible contributing factor...is arrow flight. Not all arrows fly perfectly, some kind of slide their way to the target off perfect plane.

If something like that happened AND the shot angle was less than 90 degrees, you would have two factors potentially that could cause a deflection...regardless of broadhead style.

Have you paper tuned your bow with broadheads on the arrows? Just a though to consider.

Excellent points. I will admit, I became a better tuner when i decided to go back to fixed blade.

It sounds like one blade hooked a vertabrae and pulled the arrow up.

The deer reacting to the shot will also throw an arrow. I have video of a buddy hitting the buck I killed square in the shoulder totally broadside and got zero penetration with a fixed blade shooting 70 pounds at 30 yards. He reacted to the shot sweeping his front leg forward. Slow motion actually shows the arrow impacting and turning sideways. It was the perfect scenario where his movement literally turned the arrow and effectively transferred all the energy from the broad head into the shaft moving sideways.

i guess if you shot a solid piece of steel or aluminum at a 170 degree angle it might deflect. 675gr arrow with 180gr 1.7/8" German Kinetic broadhead. This thing damn near guts'em, quarters and packages them for you. But they always, always, always pass through whatever angle, whatever bone or bones you may hit. And cut giant wounds, absolutely devastating!

This is my thinking. After the season this year I am going to start working up some logs to shoot. I have not had any issues with the Injexion 400 and NAP KillZone 100s @ about 450 gr., combined. Took a buck this year that went between the loser leg bone and tendon, through the heart and bounced back out when it hit the off shoulder. I just want to know that when a shot goes "bad" I have a better chance at breaking bone down and/or getting a pass through.

In 2010 I shot a buck at 12 yards with a 565+ grain arrow out of a 72 lb bow shooting a 2 blade magnus stinger and got about 2-3" of total penetration... certain spots you just won't get an arrow through.
I've lowered my arrow weight and gone to a big cut expandable and have had zero complaints since. The hard part of the shoulder makes up a very small % of the kill zone. Stay away from the shoulder and it usually works out. I'd rather cut a 2" hole through the liver/guts then stick a 1" hole though some muscle into a solid piece of bone

The large blades and severe angle of them, often causes deflection as you said. They can go a LONG way on one lung. Can happen with any head but much more so with the steep angles on many heads out there these days.
Glad you found her:)

There's video proof of a rage deflecting on a rib on the drurys latest dream season dvd....kid in Missouri shot a buck& the arrow deflected off the rib& went straight into the dirt

Rage is the only thing I've ever shot. I've never had issues with deflection. Last years buck had two broken ribs on entry and two on exit. Not saying that it can't happen but I don't think its limited to Rage.

My point was...

My point in my last post was not that Rages are terrible, but why have to worry about that stuff. Obviously, there have been issues, not everyone has had problems, but enough that there are many threads on many forums where there are issues. So, why not shoot a head that is only 1/8" smaller then a Rage and have no, absolutely no issues,questions or concerns that the head will do its job. Try the big 1.7/8" broadhead I shoot and you will forget all about the Rages. Shoot...pass through, even if you hit them right in the humeral head, they just go through!

Top Bottom