Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best bow buck to date

IowaDave

PMA Member
Had an awesome hunt this morning! Lots of chasing & plenty of action.
Had a basket rack come right under me about 7:10 and about the time I was saying to myself, "Why can't this one be a shooter?" I looked up and saw a medium buck and a shooter about 200 yards away right next to the road.
At first I didn't quite know what I should do since I knew if I called the basket rack was going to blow out of there, but after a quick assessment of the situation I figured this might be my only shot since the road is fairly heavily traveled by people out looking for deer/sight seeing. I hoped if/when the basket rack below me blew out of there, he'd figure a bigger one chased him off.
I gave a couple grunts and the medium buck looked up, but the bigger one paid little to no attention (the basket rack did, indeed, blow out of there). I picked up my horns & rattled a little & that DEFINITELY got his attention! I gave them about another 5 seconds & that was all it took...he was coming in on a string!
There were a lot of places he could have went & other deer that have come from that same direction have done a lot of different things, but this one read the script & came right where I wanted him to & stopped broadside at 30 yards on the path that the basket rack took on his way out. I was already at full draw & let 'er fly. He took off through the 6' tall switch grass and I lost sight of him. I could see the grass moving about 125 yards in front of me & heard him laboring for air, but I never did see him go down. The hit looked like it might have been a touch far back, so I got down, found my arrow, which has passed through & looked for blood. There was a decent amount, and it was bright pink but it wasn't pouring out so I backed out.
I jacked my back up a few days ago & was just healthy enough to sit in the stand, but knew I shouldn't be dragging a deer, so I gathered up a few buddies and my 2 girls & we headed out about 10:30...a bit nervous, but with high hopes. We went to the site of the shot & started to follow the blood, but my heart started to sink when it all but quit after only 20 yards. We started to grid search for blood and I went ahead a bit, slowly working in the direction I had last seen him in the grass. After about 10 minutes and not hearing anyone say they'd found more blood, I was getting fairly concerned...I took another step & there he was! It ended up being a double lung shot but we backtracked a little & he just didn't bleed much for some reason.
I'm just VERY grateful I found him & that I had good buddies to help with the recovery & that my girls got to be there as well! So dang blessed! :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Way to get it done!!! Congrats on one awesome buck. I also love the bases. Heal up soon, sore backs are no fun.

Ya, he had a lot of bumps other stuff going on with the bases....they were good & thick too. He had a sticker coming off his main beam on the right side that you can't really see in the pic either.
Back is lots better than it was on Thursday....I couldn't get from bed to the door to let the dog out!

I'm still on cloud 9!!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom