Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

November movement

moved to a new area i just got permission on . had 2 4 points hanging together in cut corn at 60, 4 does at 200 and then a doe with 2 fawns til she got downwind of me. didnt even look like the rut at all

Went and pulled cards last night. Lots of does out in the fields only saw two, 2 maybe 3 yr old bucks. Sat back and watched them before they figured out I was there. They were just feeding with them. On the cards there was only one buck chasing a doe. Bucks are still hitting the scrapes hard, most of the pictures are at night.

Seen 3 bucks including one nice one in the fields around Pioneer in johnston this morning after dropping my kid off at school. 2 were cruising and the big one had a doe pinned down in the timber.

I'm heading to the woods here soon. That better no be all I see today..

Last edited:
I have seen 8 or 9 different does the past two weeks which is a lot for my area. Not ONE, had any buck following it. Some does with fawns,,some alone? Got to suspect breeding is over for the does I see? Must have went on at night during those full moons? Kinda strange..Bucksightings down to zero,,,/total up to now around 5 one by accident,,,,Fifty hrs in my stands,,and yes, I hunt in Iowa.

Had a nice 160 ten start moving in towards our stand tonight and was just getting to be within bow range then the assholes arrived. There was a lot of car traffic tonight and right before sun down they stopped started yelling and making weird noises and back the way he came in he went. The joys of hunting public land.

I have seen 8 or 9 different does the past two weeks which is a lot for my area. Not ONE, had any buck following it. Some does with fawns,,some alone? Got to suspect breeding is over for the does I see? Must have went on at night during those full moons? Kinda strange..Bucksightings down to zero,,,/total up to now around 5 one by accident,,,,Fifty hrs in my stands,,and yes, I hunt in Iowa.

Had this same thing tonight. A group of 5 does came in. They left and a forky came in and he didn't even go off in the same direction. I don't think it's happened in my area yet. Only seen a couple chases so far and my cameras haven't lit up with new bucks or bucks following does. Last year in my woods it went down around 11/21-24.

Hunted all but maybe 4 days since Halloween. 90% of those were all day sits. Today was the first day I have witnessed any kind of rut activity. Except for 11:30 til 2:30 today it was solid rut movement. It reminded me how fun and entertaining bow hunting can be. Most of the bucks today were 3 year olds...so its finally picking up in my area. I think/hope. I had been questioning my sanity. (had way to much time to think in the tree lately) Warren County.

I also have been hunting in Warren county and it has been terrible action I feel. I haven't hunted since Monday and I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be different! Good luck to all!

I've hunted almost daily since the 1st of Nov. I've seen 30+ deer one day with bucks blowing up doe groups; and I've had a day seeing just 1 deer. Yesterday's all day sit, a group of 6 does walked under my stand unbothered at 8am...didn't see a deer until 4:45pm when I let the air out of him ;) I was feeling pretty bad for myself all day but it's all about sitting in the thick stuff and persistence

Yesterday was the first day I have seen any chasing at all here in SW Iowa. I was out trying to shoot me a doe or two and everytime one would almost get within range, here would come a long a buck and take her away.
One buck was my old buddy Crooked brow, who is enormous in person. Makes me regret shooting my buck back in October.

Anyone have any experience with neck shots...deer was broad side moving just a touch at 40 yards but stopped as arrow got to him. Hit just in front of shoulder dang near in the middle of his neck. Arrow was stuck through both sides..bright red blood trail and pretty good blood for a long ways. Tracked 3 hrs for about 400 yards but no deer or arrow found. He actually got down in a deep ditch and came back out the other side...I have a feeling he is still very much alive and would think if a shot in the neck was fatal he wouldn't have went far at all. Couple of us getting ready to go in and track in daylight.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound good from my experience. Give him more time I don't want to be a doubting Thomas. That happened to me several years ago the buck live and was killed late muzzy season by another hunter. Good luck on the search.

Makes me a little sick...he was a borderline hit lister and actually saw monster #1 an hour before he came through just no shot at the big big one.

I would say a neck hit is gonna be either a really dead deer or a really alive deer. It's either wind pipe/big artery or muscle.

I would say a neck hit is gonna be either a really dead deer or a really alive deer. It's either wind pipe/big artery or muscle.

Agreed. If you hit vital anatomy in the neck he will be dead within 100 yds.

Sat this morning for only my second hunt of the year, only saw one 2 year old buck. No sign of urgency or rutting activity

Some chasing flurries this evening...but mostly little guys in pursuit. Did see one nice 4 year old...but his right side is all broken up. Still have some time though.

Top Bottom