Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No hide shoulder mount

arm

Leg
I can't take 2 deer to the taxidermy this year, a shame I know. Has anyone done a shoulder mount on a form with no cape? Did you paint it a close-to-realistic color instead of the off white they come it? Share some pics?

Can't comment on what you are talking about, but a suggestion would be a shoulder mount and a euro for now. The euro can always be turned into a should later on, you'll just need a cape. But for the time being I think you would like its look better than a no cape shoulder

Can't comment on what you are talking about, but a suggestion would be a shoulder mount and a euro for now. The euro can always be turned into a should later on, you'll just need a cape. But for the time being I think you would like its look better than a no cape shoulder

AMEN! I can't imagine a set of antlers on a painted form. :confused: A euro is an excellent alternative.

I'm not a fan of euro mount...not entirely sure why, I think it's the skull and crossbones feel...like the complete opposite of showing actually beauty of a whitetail. But that's just me. Skull plate has already been sawed off anyways so you're right, I could mount later.

I'm trying to visualize what the no cape form would look like too, as added variety.

I've never heard of or seen such a thing, but quite honestly, I can't imagine that a painted form would look even close to nice- even the best paint job would look fake & tacky, IMO.
As hunters, we're patient by nature.....just wait to do it until you get another cape....you'll be glad you did!

In my head, it would not look very good. I would do the rack in some sort of plaque display before that. I dont see how it could ever be painted to look decent.

I think I messed up on the paint it part. Lol. I mean just a solid, neutral tan or brown. Not trying to make it look like a real deer. Haha, my bad.

I think it's a really bad idea. Not sure who have you that idea but it's one that should go in one ear and out the other......

If you've already skull capped it, you could do a plaque mount for now. You can buy a kit for a few bucks that looks nice, and you'd still have the option to convert it to a shoulder mount at a later time.

NWBuck

Can't imagine a no hide mount, especially like this sample! Euro's can be mounted on some really cool things like drift wood or an old fence post that you would probably be happier with.
925-427450_ts.jpg

The member Jeezticles (think that's his name if memory serves me right) has a rack on just a plain form as his avatar picture.

I think that is JCLAWS and its a plain white one. The guy at raccoon ridge archery has I know one, maybe two mounted with no cape, they are brown, and honestly I think they look decent.

The deer on my wall doesn't have the original cape. Any taxidermist can get you a cape for $50 or so. That's what I'd do.

Since it's already cut off, I think I would go with some sort of an antler plaque for now. There's a lot of them out there besides the basic felt ones. I suppose you could do one of the fake euro kits (fake skull). There is a fake shoulder mount product called Budget Buck (no affiliation to this) that is colored to look like a real shoulder mount, and you just mount your antlers.

With the painted form, are you thinking adding eyes and ears, or just the basic form? I guess you would have the form already for later mounting if you went this route. But then you would have to find a cape to fit that form, instead of a form to fit whatever cape you went with later (assuming you would do that later).

Sometimes I like euros and sometimes I don't. May just depend on the rack and what else is with it.

Most taxidermist have spare capes or Ebay. If you mount with the taxidermist he may give you a discount on the cape.

I think a shoulder mount with no hide on it looks way more creepy than a euro by far. Save up and just get the shoulder mount done. Hit your taxi up in mid summer maybe he won't have any work and will give you a deal.

I think a shoulder mount with no hide on it looks way more creepy than a euro by far. Save up and just get the shoulder mount done. Hit your taxi up in mid summer maybe he won't have any work and will give you a deal.

Not to change the subject, but very very cautious about a taxi who runs out of work & needs to give "deals" to get business... Neither are common conditions with the taxis who do good work. ;)

Ok really good point. I also said your taxi. Someone you go to already and know their work. Not all good taxidermist do it full time and are busy with it year round. Some milk it out and still do half ass work but are busy all year.

Top Bottom